Author Topic: Here we come......  (Read 7163 times)

Offline moodybluetwo

• View Profile
Here we come......
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »
Yesterday (8/06/2012) I was awoken by the familiar sound of the rain and wind against my window. I checked the long range weather forecast for Cornwall….and reached for the laptop. 2 hours later I had booked a 7 night holiday in San Stefanos and lost £40 on my Cornwall hol….! Now then here’s my question….I would like to hire a scooter or car…..what are the roads like to Corfu town? And are the rates good? I look forward to your replies.   Bill  ;D

Offline Denise

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Here we come......
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:44:45 AM »
Good for you. You'll love it. Sorry can't help with the roads as I don't drive but from the coach transfer I think they're ok. Enjoy your holiday.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »
I used to drive up and down from Avliotes (NW) to Corfu town on a daily basis to the office I worked in, there are hills and bends in roads but roads are tar mac'd and if you are not in a rush a beautiful way the see the island.  Apart from the breathtaking coastline the indland villages all offer a wonderful insight into the island.  The town can be a but of a nightmare to park, but if you go either early morning or later in the afternoon you will find parking spaces (3 euros to park in the car parks)  Elsewhere you can park free, check for yellow lines, as UK this is no parking or parking to be paid for.  There are roads from Corfu town north and South.  All signs are in English as well as Greek. As a guide it takes from Corfu Town to the North West San Stefanos around 1 hour taking it easily.  And from  the town south around 50 mins to Kavos and Aspro Kavos.

Locally people use mopeds and quads for shorter distances or of course there are also local buses again running from most resort into the capital Corfu town.

Enjoy your holidays its a beautiful island to discover.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 11:17:20 PM »
 Hi there.the roads are ok, just take your time and you wont have any probs.i have done the island over the years but never ventured into corfu town with the car so cant comment.all i would say is dont go for a car with too small an engine as some of the roads can be very steep and twisting up around the north west area, and with the aircon running you loose alot of power.enjoy

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:04:29 PM »
We always hire a car and drive to Corfu town, every year since '83.

I like the route via Arillas, just follow the signs, or via Avliotes and you will pass through Sidari.
Once through Sidari there are two different ways to go, the coaches tend to take a left turn and follow better roads,
but all roads lead to Corfu Town. I find it more fun to go via tiny roads through little villages.

Get a decent map, the trick is drive Village to Village and you won't get lost.
Roads are pretty reasonable and I take time without being too slow.
I try to let locals in a hurry get past, watch for lorry and coach's approaching and slow a touch, keep over to the right.
All common sense and nothing too scary!

Lots to see and do - do the Liston - great (expensive) outdoor Café's - watch cricket or the passing crowd.
Lots of shops like any city, or if you want the tourist area and get confused by parking, just go right to the end by the new fort,
and park in the main car park, you may have to queue to get in.

Lots of nice Restaurants and bank machines! - - - even dare I say a McDonalds! - - if you really want to!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline moodybluetwo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 09:18:44 PM »
Thanks to you all for the heads up....much appreciated. We are off tomorrow....18th from BHX and really looking forward to are hols.....also got a good rebate from HMRC so car hire is a deffo ! 8)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 01:37:43 AM »
Have a great time moodybluetwo
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 03:05:33 AM »
You will have a great time for sure!!   Enjoy!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni