Author Topic: exchange rate  (Read 25638 times)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: exchange rate
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 12:13:19 AM »
As I type TravelFX are offering 1.2181, their lowest rate for sometime. They were at 1.23 last week which is excellent.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 01:01:59 AM »
I don't see any signs of Merlin waving his magic wand over the Eurozone any time soon! Headless chickens seems to be an understatement. Still, all will be well tomorrow when Cameron goes to Berlin and tells Merkel how to sort it out, which will probably be the first time we've seen Mrs Merkel laugh out loud for a long time. She may mutter "seine Meinung völlig ändern," which is the German for U-turn.

Rate went up a bit today - currently Ice is 1.2141 and TravelFX 1.2181

Apparently - according to probably unreliable web sources - Greek Euro notes have almost vanished. The serial number on these will start with a Y (upsilon). This has fuelled speculation that the Bank of Greece is keeping all Greek notes ready for over-printing, or that they've run out of ink! If you check your notes they are most likely to start with X, which is Germany. Then, of course, De La Rue (UK company which prints vast amounts of currencies) has refused to comment on reports that it's already printing Drachmas.

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »
I am changing £200 for Euros today and taking the rest in sterling to exchange over there, not bothering with travellers cheques as only for a week.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
We tend to find we get a better rate useing the hole in the wall..

Gavlah1973

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 12:10:20 PM »
Yes but the problem will be Rilo, that there may be no money coming out of the hole in the wall if it all goes belly up!!

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 01:18:33 PM »
 yep, thats well true.wasent thinking.im living in Belgium, so euro no problem its when im in the uk i use the cash machines.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 09:14:54 PM »
Sorry Gavlah we have to stop this scaremongering the  money comes out the wall..........please please do not believe what you read in the media, we have food, water,petrol,electicrity and money here.....and we welcome our visitors with open arms as always......... and if 2morrow we trade in chocolate buttons that will come out of the wall too.............

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 09:39:52 PM »
1.20 starting to be harder to find now, managed to get this on the high street at a travel agents. Post office down to 1.185 if memory serves, many travel agents around this mark also. Quite happy with 1.20, of course the pound will now rally again and I will be clicking away on the calculator to work out my losses! May need to invest in aviation fuel to offset! Anyhow my few quid will soon be in the tills of San Stef, so whatever the rate, jobs a gud un. 

YANNIS26

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »
Sorry Gavlah we have to stop this scaremongering the  money comes out the wall..........please please do not believe what you read in the media, we have food, water,petrol,electicrity and money here.....and we welcome our visitors with open arms as always......... and if 2morrow we trade in chocolate buttons that will come out of the wall too.............
I agree with you Lesley.Some of the things I have read on the forum lately regarding the Greek Economy would put a lot of people off coming to San Stefanos.This from people who class the local people as friends..The old saying rings true.With friends like that who needs enemies.
I do not want this posting to be the first salvo of world war three.I have had enough wars on here to last a lifetime.All I ask is people to think more about the possible consequences before posting anything that could harm the village touisim industry.If you have a genuine fact by all means print it.Posting rumours and half truths are in my opinion best avoided .
Yammas
Yiannis
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:50:28 PM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:47 PM »
Which particular rumours and half-truths would those be?

Gavlah1973

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 11:16:04 PM »
I've no doubt at all that there's money in the hole in the wall.......at the moment!!! But I sure as hell wouldnt want all my money stuck on a piece of plastic if it all goes belly up!! The hole in wall in San Stef let me down 3 times the other year and it was the same in Skala, Cepahalonia 4 years ago.....no different to going to a machine in the UK and them being out of order or having no money but there's no way I'm not taking hard cash this year!!

YANNIS26

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
Which particular rumours and half-truths would those be?
These would be the theories written in the press which cannot be proved or disproved, Which are then posted on this forum.Members then become concerned that their holiday is in danger and panic sets in.All I am asking is that we all act responsibly and stick to the proven facts.
Yammas
Yiannis
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:29:58 AM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline romanza man

• SanStef Regular
  • July 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »
 8)Come on guys, San Stef is ready and waiting for us all, so why worry about things we cannot control. Lets just get over there and enjoy ourselves and help out by spending whatever currency is being used. I for one will not let any stories be thet true or false spoil my holiday. ;D

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
Well said romanza can't wait 5 weeks to day we will be in the air and on our way Euros in hand 8)

YANNIS26

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
8)Come on guys, San Stef is ready and waiting for us all, so why worry about things we cannot control. Lets just get over there and enjoy ourselves and help out by spending whatever currency is being used. I for one will not let any stories be thet true or false spoil my holiday. ;D
Hi Romanza Man
Well said.
Que sera sera.
I will be in San Stefanos on the 15th spending my Euros and renewing old friendships.
As for my postings earlier in this thread I felt the things I said needed saying.This is my last posting on the subject.People will agree or disagree with my viewpoint, but I would expect no other on an open forum.
Yammas
Yiannis

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni