Author Topic: Has Thomsons dropped Tsaros Apartments ?  (Read 50373 times)

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Has Thomsons dropped Tsaros Apartments ?
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2012, 08:03:49 PM »
I ignore the"one room left" message. If I want the deal, I book it. If I am not sure, I leave it. If Thomson ever really annoy me, I will simply stop using them. No point supporting a company you do not trust or like. Many hotels etc in SS have rooms which they let privately, hence no need to use a tour operator. Many people argue that this the best way to visit SS. At the end of the day, it's your money, and you can spend how you wish.

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »
Since when has a company making a profit been a bad thing?
These companies employ hundreds of people, both in the UK and all of the
other countries in which they operate.
I have always used either Thomas Cook or Thomsons for our holidays, and have never had cause to complain. As has been said, if you're flying from Scottish airports then this is the best value option.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »
Well IrisG, this looks like it could be fun! I totally agree with you, and once again add, if you don't like them, don't use them!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2012, 11:15:59 PM »
Have always used Thomsons as we couldn't get accomodation and flights for what we pay for a package. Never had any complaints apart from when the accommodation you want shows as not available but then miraculously it re appears at another date. This happened when I was booking for next year. Teresa suddenly was not showing in the Thomsons brochure so I booked it through Holiday Hypermarket who are part of TUI. Since then Teresa is now showing as being back in Thomsons brochure. Apparently it was down toThomsons and the owners not being able to agree on next years contract. Alls well that ends well :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline TerryandJoy

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2012, 02:28:04 AM »
We booked Barras for a week in late June 48 hours before travelling (ex-Birmingham) when showing "one room left".  Re-checked after booking and sure enough  it had gone from the website from all airports never to reappear.  Frankly it was a bargain especially as the booking showed a studio and we actually got the famous room 102 - far and away the best room we've had in San Stef but we would have been happy in a tent in the field at the back at the price.  Intended to review Barras on here when we returned but we're still confused, we're not comfortable with giving it rave reviews yet we had our best holiday yet in San Stef there and we haven't worked out why ourselves.   

Heck, there's some thread drift here but do know the Tsaros/Thomson story from the San Stef end, it's only one side of the story but Thomsons was a four letter word during our stay in the village but those of us who have to book very late have no other option.    We paid less including the room than we could book flight only on the same day, it was less even the same flight on ThomsonFly!  Just haven't a clue what Thomson's business model is, if they even have one.

Terry and Joy

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2012, 03:43:14 AM »
I do suspect that Thomson have a buisness plan. I also suspect that this plan will provide lots of people with holidays that are good value for money.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2012, 04:35:48 AM »
The "hurry only 1 room remaining" thing is (as far as I know) actually true rather than a scare tactic - I've watched the room disappear as I've booked over the phone and also seen it go down to 1 from 2 rooms when booking before.  This year I booked when it said hurry only 1 room left and I got the last 2 person studio, once I had booked the price went up a lot higher as there were only 3 person studios left.
But as I said, that's only as far as I know, I could be totally wrong or completely naive and mislead for all I know!!  :)[/color]
Well I don't think I can fly the flag for Thomsons, or be a PR man for them, they could easily enhance the customer experience in many ways for little or no extra cost.
My Booking:
When I booked the 2011 holiday for ourselves and son/wife plus 2 x grandchildren at the Athina Hotel, Thomsons back in November 2010, quoted hurry only 2 rooms left.
I already knew for a fact that this is a marketing ploy, well used over the years, and something you cannot rely on.
I booked because the price suited in November'10 for the August'11 holiday.

Of course we booked the two last rooms, then by a complete miracle two more appeared etc, etc,,,, the cycle repeating - - - -  -
until one day - they were really the last two rooms and all were fully booked, but this was not until a few weeks before August, as I was in touch with San Stefanos.

Yes, as a by-product Thomsons bring money to the village, yes some holidays are cheap - but also some are sold over-priced - all part of their game plan.
They know that Customers that go to San Stefanos are returnees - - Sidari holidays can be much cheaper - so why is that?

The problem is that Thomsons want virtually all the profit and would love to let the local owners have none,
and I have often heard the tale of attempted bullying by Thomsons, saying they will leave them out of the catalogue if then don't take a lower amount etc...
I have been told this by many owner friends of mine.
Back in the day, before Thomsons were involved, there were still plenty of package holidays for San Stefanos, and still plenty of independents today as well.

No one would deny that for us in Uk, Thomsons have been a good thing, they employ, they provide reasonably good service, I have used them many times as well.
All companies need to make a profit - this is a no-brainer, but there are times when Thomsons customer service is lacking compared to what you pay!
 - I've heard of many examples.
However, I can tell you from experience, that if things go wrong, you will almost never get compensation unless a TV program steps in.
They are experts at stone-walling!

Also, it's the local owners who make your holiday great, not Thomsons, they are just the agents and "bus" service by plane.

Think of the unfortunates who posted here in recent times, who took two hours - almost three - on the transfer coach.
All trimmed back to earn a few more euros - customer service - no! sorry No!

This is the reason I only book now with the best deal - book early and Easyjet and similar can make it well worthwhile to go private! We did this this year.
Otherwise I look at Thomsons, but I hold no customer loyalty to them, and we wait for the odd weekend deals.
Yammas
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2012, 11:23:57 AM »
If you think Thomson stonewall, try making a complaint to Easyjet. Only advice is, if you don't like them, don't use them.

YANNIS26

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2012, 11:46:59 AM »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the age old chestnut of Thomsons versus private.I am with Tony all the way.I have booked private with taxi tranfer for the last 3 year and have always managed to beat Thomsons price by a distance. That does not matter as I would go private even is the prices were the same.My way the hotel owner has at least a 50% increase in income.
I know your options may be limited by access to cheap flights.My advice is to book them early with Easyjet or similar.Or the alternative book late with Thomsons who keep their flight prices high until the last minute to make booking direct more expensive.
Check the latest Thomson flight prices you will find them to be approx half price compared with what they have been charging.Example 189 pounds out of Newcastle on the 23rd July (school holidays) plus many more.
Yammas
Yiannis
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:01:15 PM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
Well I don't think I can fly the flag for Thomsons, or be a PR man for them, they could easily enhance the customer experience in many ways for little or no extra cost.

Tonyco, I wasn't flying any flag or acting as PR, merely saying what my experience of them was. I'm sure everyone has had different experiences.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2012, 03:48:31 PM »
Georgie, I certainly wasn't having a dig at you, in person, or Rover either, please don't think so, because everyone's viewpoint is valid and adds sides to the debate.
You actually make some lovely posts and I am sure that they are appreciated by all who read them - I do!

No, I was referring to how "I" felt on this subject and the general synopsis of how Big companies can screw down the local people.
I have been "Stiffed" a few times by Thomsons in the past, (only once in San Stef), in various different ways, and it was entirely Thomsons (or their rep's) fault.

The problem is, they have such a hold on the industry here, that there are times when I have no choice but to use them,
this may be because they are the holders of the accommodation I specifically need or want, or because of price on that occasion etc..etc..

I certainly wouldn't refuse to use them because I don't like them, as I am not in the business of cutting off my nose to spite my face.
For that reason I would disagree with Rover, on that particular point only, but I certainly do agree with Rover that trying to get any satisfaction from:
Thomsons, Easyjet, Ryanair and the like, when unhappy, is almost impossible.

Look - - - we all know that most of the time you get what you pay for and we are all usually happy with a reasonable level of service that they provide.
However, I was referring to the odd bad days when through no fault of your own you as the customer suffers in some way.
Sometimes a bad employee or circumstances cause you an inconvenience, or money on a minor or major issue.
The other thing I dislike is silly cost-cutting causing great inconvenience, like doing a round the Island tour on a transfer, (it happens occasionally).

I sent many letters to Thomson over a bit of sharp practice that cost me money and spoilt my final day in Side, Turkey on a holiday in 2006.
I wanted to be compensated, but even I gave up in the end, after months tracking down the Directors names and addresses and sending them personal letters of complaint.
They simply referred them back to the department I started with and I got more standard letters.
These companies simply don't care if they fail the customer unless it receives a lot of bad publicity, and not always then.

Sorry if this is getting boring and I will rest my case here, but it has always been a bug-bear of mine to see the local people lose out to the big companies.
All they ask for is a fair deal, not to suffer from the tactics of business or to be bullied into submission and struggle.

I will always therefore, as my first option, go privately - and only if the sums don't add up,
I have to then look to Thomsons as I, (and most people do), have a budget as well.

Anyway - whenever we have a serious debate here, there will always be two sides and differing views - in the end we all move on.
Life is too short
Yammas!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »
Thanks Tony  :)

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2012, 01:12:29 AM »
Lets say amen to that then!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2012, 02:38:29 AM »
Phew - this has provoked some debate.  In a perfect world it would be wonderful for everyone to be fair but business can be definitely not so -  I try to book private and pass my money directly to the hotel owners now but would I do so if this cost me a lot more?  An ethical dilemma..............

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2012, 09:56:19 AM »
Sitting as I am on our balcony at Nafsika, the sea glassy-calm and heat-haze over Albania, the best comment I can make to this is "get here somehow - but just get here!"

Briefly (hate typing on netbooks):

* TUI (Thomson) world-wide are cutting down on low-margin package holidays. In six or seven years you may not be able to get here with them at all. The era of the small companies may come back.

* "One room only" is 99% of the time a lie.

* For many of us, who don't live near a hub airport, Thomson is the only serious option without a lot of additional costs, wearying travel times or over-nights in hotels.

* In an ideal world I would be able to pedalo from Hull to Ag Stef and give loads of money to the local economy - but this ain't an ideal world.

* If you're staying at Barras or Thomas Bay, bring ear-plugs. The frogs are in full song, apparently.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni