Author Topic: Santorini Resorts  (Read 10605 times)

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Santorini Resorts
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:08:04 PM »
Thinking of visiting Santorini next summer and just wondering if any Forum members can recomend which resorts are best,we like to be near the beach and just near some nice Tavernas a bit like San Stef would be great

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Santorini Resorts
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 07:35:57 PM »
Hi,

The wife and I have been to Santorini and we stayed in the resort of Perissa.  It was wonderful.  It still has its Greek roots although there are still a few music bars, mainly on the sea front.  There are lots of restaurants and tavernas to choose from and the people are very warm and friendly.  The resort itself can probably be covered on foot in less than an hour.  So if you are a walking fanatic (like me and the wife), it's best to head up and over the mountain to the nearby resort of Kamari.  This should take not more than an hour and I will not spoil it for you by explaining the walk.  Lets just say I personally thought that I was going for a full on SAS yomp, which it was at first.  Anyhoo, I dont want to spoil the surprise.  Whilst in Kamari, which is pretty but not as good as Perissa, you can have a spot of lunch then get the boat taxi back to Perissa.  Again, I wont say too much but it is a laugh (can you swim?).  Perissa has a nice long beach and there was not a lot of traffic in the resort, which is good.  You will enjoy Perissa if you like San Stef.

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:34:07 PM »
Thanks Rod sounds what were looking for got a year to work on getting my hubby to look at somewhere other than San Stef we enjoyed a week last Sept in Skala Kefalonia as well as San Stef last year and he liked it there

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 10:03:59 PM »
We visited Santorini in June 2008 - a friend from work here in the UK got married there.

We stayed in Kamari - v nice place, beach is pebbly, volcanic rock though. Food was of a v high quality in resort - the whole of the 'promenade' is lined with restaurants and 'boutique-style' small hotels and apartment accomodation.

Over on the other side of the island it's a v high coastline, cliffs, but this offers the most spectacular views into the volcano that's under the bay - at sunset the view is spectacular! The West side of the island, Fira, etc, is where all the cruise ship tourists come ashore and is v busy.

we loved it there - will go back one year.

But one word of warning it's quite expensive - i believe it's only 2nd to Mykonos for expense in Greece.

Take care in Fira especially - make sure you see the price of a drink first. We went in one bar overlooking the bay in Fira and two beers cost 16 euros!
Even in Kamari you have to be selective where you drink because of price. Avoid the fish restaurants as well - they'll charge you a fortune - if you really must have fish in one of the speciality fish restaurants get a price quoted first.

But go - you'll love it - just be sharp when it comes to selecting your favourite haunts, unless you're absolutely minted and don't care about price of things.

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 01:11:38 AM »
Thanks for that didn't realise it was expensive think we've been spoilt in San Stef was more expensive to eat in Skala to will have to take that into consideration

Offline Denise

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
We've been to lots of Greek islands and the best value resort is San Stef . We were really surprised last year with the prices there.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »
Anyone see the latest reports about expected cost of living during the forthcoming holiday season in the Daily Mail?

Basically saying that the pound has hit a 19 month high against the Euro. They were predicting the average price for a 3 course meal in various European countries. Greece is expected to be the second highest priced!! Turkey & Bulgaria expected to be the best value.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 02:06:40 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how much prices have risen this coming year Gav!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni