Author Topic: Fresh fish  (Read 22090 times)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh fish
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 10:26:24 PM »
Thanks everyone for replies
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 02:40:02 PM »
Fresh fish, oh yes fresh fish. How could I forget.

Last year we stayed in one of the Romanza Villas next to Dimitris and Hari up at Fedra Mare, and if there’s enough of you it’s a good option by the way. We had other friends staying  with Dimitris as well, so all in all we were a pretty big group of 11 adults and 3 children. Romanza Villas are big villas, with a good garden, a good pool, and a barbeque area, so it was obvious, we’ll have a barbeque, with loads of beer, loads of Greek salad from Kostos at Fantasea, (still Golden Beach as far as I’m concerned), and fish straight from the fisherman in the harbour. Simple, well, the first two were.

So two of us cycled down to the harbour at 9.00am, which was no mean feat following a very late night in Athens Bar, and waited for one of the fisherman to return with his catch. Whilst waiting I had a couple of Greek coffees which were excellent, and after only a couple of hours sleep had me ignited and ready for anything, or so I thought. With much pointing, Greek words, and ushering, the guy in the coffee bar alerted us to a returning fisherman. With hindsight I reckon he just wanted the two sick looking Englishmen away from his coffee bar because they were putting other customers off.

A very smiley fisherman, (he was probably just pleased he didn’t look like us), then asked in his very best Greek, how he could help us. We pointed at what we took to be a catch of sea bass and asked if we could buy them. He shook his head and proceeded to explain that we didn’t want those, but wanted these, and opened a basket containing smaller fish, and lots of them. “Salpa” he said and how many did we want? We were clueless but, 11 adults and three children, maybe 25? He shook his finger. At this point I was just starting to tire of the smell of fish and was having flashbacks of Athens Bar, and the two weren’t a comfortable combination. The fisherman, the coffee bar man, and all his punters, last saw the two green coloured Englishmen cycling up the hill in a zigzag fashion with 40 Salpa divided between them hanging off their handle bars.

“Salpa” we proudly announced to group as we arrived back at the villa. What happened to the Sea Bass they asked. Not quite sure we replied, but look here “Salpa”. Christ Almighty they said, how many have you pair of idiots bought? 40 we replied, 40 “Salpa“, and who’s going to help us prepare them? At which point 9 adults picked up their towels and headed for the sun, leaving  us with 40 “Salpa”, and three very curious children. I though at the quayside I’d tired of the smell of fish, that didn’t compare with my feelings some two hours later, knee deep in fish heads and fish inards, supplemented with wave after wave of nausea.

Time’s a great healer, and so is Mythos, and despite Hari next door assuming the forest fires must be bearing down upon the village, the barbequing of the fish was a success at least. A strong tasting fish, I found out later from little Spiros at Waves that the locals only eat Salpa in the winter, and that it can trigger hallucinations when eaten. I can report I didn’t have any when eating the little bugger, but had plenty when gutting and beheading him and his 39 mates.

In conclusion, go to see Manthos and his Sea Bass.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:32:25 PM by cambridge »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »
Hilarious! Wonderful report - thanks!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »
We too stayed at The Romanza Villas just after they had opened, just the two of us.  They are extremely nice with fantastic views over the bay.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 01:39:03 AM »
Well done Cambridge - brilliant read!!

Just off to the Salpa and chip shop - feel hungry now!!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline katmc1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 12:36:39 PM »
The Romanza Hotel do fresh fish which you can order.You can even see the little boat they use to catch it bobbing around in the bay from the balcony of the romanza.So you know its fresh.And it tastes great too..

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 12:35:37 AM »
My only disappointment was having a sardine starter at Thomas Bay - - - - - from a tin LOL

Previous sardine starter at Sunset were the real McCoy though!!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
I had the freshest, biggest MOST delicious sea bass at the Nafsika.  Also the sea bream which was wonderful.

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »
My hubby loves the sardines at Nafsica and the sea bass and bream are amazing there

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »
Spiros buys local fish. I've had them so fresh they're hard to spear with your fork as they jump around on the plate!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »
Spiros buys local fish. I've had them so fresh they're hard to spear with your fork as they jump around on the plate!

If you think they jump around on the plate try the kangaroo steak at Ozzy Oil

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 03:33:13 AM »
My kangaroo steak was so fresh the tail attached was still swishing around and I could swear it did a poo!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 11:15:27 PM »
 ;D :D

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 01:16:03 AM »
My kangaroo steak was so fresh the tail attached was still swishing around and I could swear it did a poo!

We have that all the time. It's known as kangourou al la merde. In Scotland I believe it's known as Battered joey with haggis

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 03:28:38 AM »
Of course!! we always share a pot of that with Don - we eat the Roo - he eats the 'La Merde'

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni