Author Topic: Athens Bar Apartments  (Read 26814 times)

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Athens Bar Apartments
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 02:23:57 PM »
We do DIY for our main 2 weeks as it works out a bit cheaper for us. However we have booked with Thompson for our week in June as we could only just get flights for the amount we have paid! Personally I don't mind how I get there as long as I do!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »
Wow an interesting debate! LOL
Maybe I should explain a touch more, we do go with Thomsons - quite often in fact.

We always simply try to get the best deal at San Stef - I love to support the village - but I also have to put my interest first.
I then tend to spend any savings in the village anyway!!

If Thomsons do a good deal - we book them - but my preference is always DIY holidays first - price depending.
If a price match or close - then it's flight times - choice

Last year I just felt that I got a bit ripped off by Thomsons as they messed up my booking and I had to pay extra.
Hence my comment! - - - - Anyway that was last year & I had booked via first choice as the internet had gone down that weekend,
my rooms were messed up & I had to upgrade - otherwise no problems with Thomsons over the years.

This year I spotted cheap flights with Ejet, and even with all the silly so called "EXTRA's" like a suitcase, etc. it still worked out at £186 each return to gatwick,
so I booked early. I have no illusions with the likes of Ejet/RobbinAir etc, but I play them by their rules - no complaints so far!!

I then booked the Athens Bar Apts this time as Nikos had a free slot - nice reasonable price including transfer and air-con....
so a cheap-ish holiday, plus food and drink - more to spend from my budget! The best part is a better transfer than the Coach!!

I now have an ongoing deal with 2 cab drivers who cover each other (for a private Gatwick trip) £40 each way - so no fuel costs or £98 parking charge.

My holiday to Cuba in March was a Thompson/First Choice 2 centre A/I deal - all went brilliantly - no complaints at all, great seats on the plane as well,
so I'm not anti Thomson, I just prefer independent travel as my "first-choice", but not at any cost of course!!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
Totally understand that, Tony. Living within striking distance of a hub airport is a great advantage in terms of choice.

The trouble is, when you get to know people in a place there's a kind of loyalty that kicks in. I think I made a personal mistake in, justifiably, giving Little Prince good reviews on Trip Advisor, so the prices are on average significantly higher this year. That's why we've opted to go to Nafsika for less than the price of LP, with as much food as we probably want included. It was a hard decision!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 01:05:09 AM »
Funnily enough we also almost went to the Nafsika this time as well!!
Just fell lucky on pricing - sometimes we book the Thomas Bay, H/B and often cheaper than LP as well, crazy!!

Offline pembo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »
We have stayed at Athens appartments on a few occassions, we found them ideal, great location, no noise and into Glenns for the first and last port of call. We stayed at Little Price last year but could not get family room for weeks we wanted this year. I spoke to Nikos who had family room available for first two weeks in Sept which was ideal but the cost of family appartment for three people for those two weeks was 950 euros. When we added cost of flights   to that it came to almost £1900. whch for self catering was a bit expensive. We got a good deal booking package staying at Stamatis for 24th Aug. Not stayed there before but people who have said they are ok. I don't think there is any bad accommadation in the village so we will just hope everything is ok.

don

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 11:48:36 PM »
Pembo we've stayed there a few times and can say they are small but comfortable and well cleaned. Tom is brilliant and and soon sorts out any little problems..
Even if not staying there we have to find time for a drink and chat with Tom..

Offline pembo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 03:29:46 AM »
Thanks Don
That is re-assuring. looking forward to returning to San Stef again.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 05:04:52 PM »
Pembo, We checked out Stamatis and would happily book there as well, just that with flights so cheap (we fell lucky with EJet), it was worth it.
We got a good deal, really, when you deduct the transfer and air-con cost - it stands up well at Athens Bar Apts., for 2 people.
Compared to lots of other deals, where you have to buy Air-con and Transfers on top.

We met Tom (Stamatis), 3 years ago and he showed us around, they look as good as most Apt's do.
Don't worry about it, you will love it there.

Whenever it's a budget issue, or value for money, the whole thing around booking independently always revolves around sourcing cheap flights.
Cheap flights are the deal breaker for us.
Without that option, it can be much more expensive than a Thomsons package, so we would always weigh things up and then decide what to go for.
As most accommodation is of a similar standard, it can be a no brainer at times.

Exceptions are mainly personal preference,  there are an odd few examples of accommodation that is now  up in the luxury bracket,
or sited in a particular place that is worth paying extra for,
however, we look at it this way, we only sleep and wash there & always usually eat out.

When you have been before, and you know the place - most apartments will suit there - as you said no real bad ones anyway!

YANNIS26

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
Hi Tony
You are 100% correct when you state that it is the flight price and a sensible journey time to the airport that are the main factors in governing how you book.
I said in an earlier posting on Thomsons summer 2012 flights that you need to shop around.In this posting I  managed to save approx 250 pounds by booking flights from Newcastle in June  as 2 singles with Thomsons against theThomson 14 day return for the same flights.
Encouraged by this success I have now got myself an early season bargain.On Thursday sick and fed up by the atrocious weather in the Northeast I set myself the task of getting some cheap early season sun.
The outcome is we will be arriving in San Stefanos on 7th May  for a week at the Romanza.
Cost breakdown
Flight from East Midlands by Thomas Cook 150 pounds including luggage .The actual flight cost was 60 pounds/person return.
ReturnTaxi transfer via San Stefonas  Travel and 7 days B&B direct booking at the Romanza.
Total cost 200 pounds /head for the two of us.This includes the flight costs.
I must factor in the extra travel costs against my local airports of Newcastle,Leeds & Doncaster.This will add 1 Hr each way to the  journey and an exra fuel charge of 15 pounds total.An extra expense I can happily live with.
An added bonus is the mid 20s temps forecast during my visit.
Yammas
Yiannis
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:11:16 PM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »
Spot on Yiannis - we all need to budget, but your extra trip through sourcing a wise budget, means the village will benefit from your trade there,
everyone's a winner then!!

don

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »
We had a late look at Thomson flights over package for departures yesterday.
They wanted £640 for the 2 flights but we could have booked Tsaros with (same) flights and transfers for £480.... These were total costs for 2 adults!
Alas someone off work due to injury sustained at work but employer insists phone contact is made via landline each day. They are in possession of a Hospital issued sick note but insist on throwing their petty weight around!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 03:50:29 AM »
Got lost there - are you trying to fly off on a late break??

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »
As it was mentioned earlier re Stamatis' apartments when you are here get him to show you the 3 top floor (large) studios in the newer block (not the Thomson's one) He now defines these by calling them Silver Moon Studios and he rents these out independently so another option if you want to be central wuith sea views pool and a/c included in price.

don

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
Got lost there - are you trying to fly off on a late break??

We were trying to..

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »
are the silver moon apartments better than Stamatis?  Checked the reveiews on Stamatis and some say a little tired. Any help appreciated, thank you!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni