Author Topic: Athens Bar Apartments  (Read 26809 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Athens Bar Apartments
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:44:23 PM »
Hi everyone, any of you stayed recently at the Athens Bar Apartments?

We are staying there for the first time, in the first 2 weeks of July. I am just planning ahead now!

If you did stay there, can you help out and tell me the following please.

I think Jimmy organises the transfer etc, and that the Transfer & the air-con is included in the price.

We will be in Apt. 4, - - -  downstairs - - -  I think.

Do you know if there is a patio facing the Athina as well as the Athens bar? (for drying any clothes in the sun).

Is there a hair-dryer and Iron in the apartment, or can you borrow an Iron? (I need to know what to pack)

Can you pick up WiFi there?

Toaster? Kettle? what equipment do you get in the Apt’s?
I have a good idea - as most Apartments are similar, but it's nice to know for sure.

Thanks Tony

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Athens Bar Apartments
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »
Tony, Nikos has email and website so you can pop him an email I am sure he will answer all your questions above.  If you need his address let me know.

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:20:58 PM »
We are staying there for the first time at the end of August so look forward to hearing what you think of them. As we spend every night in Athens Bar it deems to make sense to stay there and save a walk home ha!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:49:48 PM »
No worries there, I know for a fact that the apartments are first class, I just wanted some of the fine detail!! LOL

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:18:49 AM »
make sense to stay there and save a walk home

Right! That "walk" home can be difficult if O Nikos is in party mode!

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »
As I know only too well!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
The secret is to go earlier, into Glenn's - then crawl over to the apartment later!!

Offline sunnygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

Yes great rooms -air con extra--airport transfer by Dimitri or daughter poss. son -in-law depending who is free. No iron but the local laundrette will do it for you. Toaster is part of the cooker just like home.
     No front patio as such but each room has balc to rear. You can sit out front but no clothes drier.
 Clothes drier/ rail is supplied   

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
Thanks for that Sunnygirl, I do get the aircon and the transfer included in my deal, according to the email I have from Nikos, maybe from this year?
or maybe because he said that it's because we have been using the Athens Bar for so many years!
Anyway - it's an all-in deal and a fair price!
Travelling by Easyjet this time - finger up to Thomson - fly the flag for Greece!!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:41:05 AM »
Like the first cuckoo of spring, that's the first DIY versus Package posting!

It all depends where you live. Going to Barcelona last week with Easyjet from Liverpool, the costs were:

Petrol: approximately £60
Hotel overnight at airport: £60
Dinner at airport: £30
Car park: £40
Flights: £120
Hotel in Barcelona two nights: £180
Wear and tear: about 7 hours on the M62, round trip with bad traffic and roadworks

Contrast: last September/October to Ag Stef with Thomson for three weeks:
Flights, accommodation, transfers for 2: £680
Petrol: £15
Drive time: 95 minutes round trip on empty motorway
Car park: £35
Airport transfers : £0.00

Whilst I strongly support the idea of giving your Euros to the locals, I'm not actually a charity organisation, and much as I love them I really do think that the Mouzakitis family have a hell of a lot more money than I have! I think it's unfortunate to make this into a moral crusade.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
I have got to agree with Jimbo on this one, most people will go with the best bargain unless of course they have pots of money and yes I am pretty certain that most hoteliers have much more money than we do.
If Thomsons did not supply holidays to SS and the only way to holiday there was on a DIY basis then you can bet that SS would not attract the many, many visitors that it gets each year and therefore hotel/apartment owners, tavernas, shops,vehicle rental, organisers of day trips and even those lovely people who rent out the sunbeds on the beach would suffer greatly and go out of business, there would simply not be enough holiday makers to make it pay, without Thomsons then I doubt the resort would survive very long. We always eat out on holiday both lunch and evening meal, drink in the bars, usually hire a vehicle, shop at the local shops and hire the sunbeds on the beach , I imagine lots of Thomsons holiday makers do likewise and support the locals by spending their money in resort.
If Thomsons and other holiday firms had never supplied holidays to SS then it would not be the successful village that it has grown into today.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:38:49 PM by lilly »

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »
Thanks, lilly. Sorry if I sounded grumpy, but I doubt if the profitability in the village is actually in accommodation. I'm sure Thomson pay a ludicrously small amount to apartment owners - but we spend, as you rightly say, Lilly, plenty of money in the village on food, drink and fags when we're there. If we had to spend huge amounts on getting there we'd live on boiled eggs and drink tap-water.

If it were not for Thomson we would never have found Ag Stef. I'm sure they strike hard bargains - but their visitors alone pump millions of Euros into the village over the season. So it's a balance between having lots of people spending lots of money or fewer people paying a bit more towards having a bed. I'd be very surprised if the bar and taverna owners wanted to chuck Thomson out and rely upon the much more fragile DIY options.

I do dislike being treated as some kind of pariah for using Thomson versus DIY. 

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »
Hi Jimbo, don't think I could survive on boiled eggs and water and having to walk past all those tempting taverna's whilst breathing in all the delightful aroma's  ;D but seriously it is a fact that most peope spend alot of their money in the village and therefore help to keep the village a thriving community. Wherever we holiday we usually rent air conditioning and a safe plus we buy breakfast most days from the hotel/apartment, also pre dinner drinks and a few[well alot] of night caps from our hosts.
I know holidays in general have gone up in price but there are still bargains to be had and I agree that the businesses of SS will not want to chuck Thomsons out any time soon.
Everyone who spends money in SS or any other Greek resort is flying the flag for Greece.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:02:31 PM by lilly »

Offline romanza man

• SanStef Regular
  • July 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 04:36:49 PM »
Hi Tony
I agree with some of your sentiment,ie what Thomsons pay the hoteliers but surely from what i have heard and been told by others,Easyjet are no better when it comes to the way they treat customers, all the extras they now have to pay, baggage,seating etc.
Going by my own personel experience having used Thomsons since the eighties not always to Corfu, we have always got a fair price for our holidays and like lilly and jimbo spread our spending money around the village and in doing so made a lot of new friends, Locals and brits. Everybody will have their own travel choices and will continue to travel the way they like.
Wishing everyone a good and enjoyable holiday and hope to meet old and new friends.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 01:25:10 AM »
 I love a Thomson debate.

Go to the TUI www and divide its net profit by the number of bookings and you'll be amazed at the very small margins it operates to.

I find it hard to understand why it bothers in the first place.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni