Author Topic: New to SS - Staying at the Thomas Bay  (Read 13906 times)

Offline lph316

• View Profile
New to SS - Staying at the Thomas Bay
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
Hello to you all,

I have been looking around the site for a few days and thought I would join up.

My wife and I have booked to come to San Stefanos for the first time this year and we will be staying at the Thomas Bay Hotel in August.

This is not our first time to a Greek Island; we have been visiting Zakynthos for the past 12+ years, most recently staying in Kalamaki. 

I would appreciate any information for 1st timers to SS and more specifically on the Thomas Bay Hotel itself, the reviews on the internet (mainly Trip Advisor) are varied, it seems as though the room you get can make a big difference to the holiday experience.

Low floor, facing the dining room = bad holiday
High floor, facing the pool = excellent holiday.

Also, the time of year seemed to affect the reviews. Those who stayed in the peak seemed to give the best reviews (which is good for us), but those who stayed later in the year (2011) suggested that standards slipped a lot.

As I said, any and all thoughts, opinions and facts are welcome...

Thanks.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: New to SS - Staying at the Thomas Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
Hi lph316

I've never stayed at The Thomas Bay Hotel but have been in there on many occasions.

One thing I have noticed is that a small stream runs down one side of the hotel (to the left of it as you look at the front of the hotel) which goes down into the sea.

At night time frogs can be heard quite loudly and many accommodation rooms face onto this stream.  If I were you I would try to avoid these rooms or get some very good ear plugs.

The resort itself is fantastic, friendly, with many tavernas and bars, you'll really enjoy it and I'm sure once you've visited you'll want to return.

Offline deelightful44

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »
We went to ss for the 1st time last year and stayed at the Athina,we used to go to the Thomas Bay for quiz nights,this was in August,we really enjoyed the night as half way through the waiters would give a floor show of greek dancing,the part i hated though was having to use the downstairs toilets,they really stank,but we had a look at the menu whilst we were there and that looked really good,so if your staying there you wont need to use these toilets,just pop back to your room :).We are going back to ss in July this year,its a really lovely,relaxing place,so hope you enjoy
Debs

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
Think the stream is on the right as you face the hotel from the road?

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »
I stand corrected Rover, the stream is to the right of the hotel viewed from the front.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 06:00:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum LPH

We popped into the Thomas Bay on our trip to San Stefanos one night for a drink. Really friendly service in the bar area. They had a band on and it was rocking!!
Great location in the centre of the village with everything 5/10 mins walk away.
Pool looked very nice

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:58:29 AM »
Stayed many times, lovely friendly hotel, great feel to it, best rooms, top floor facing the pool, any room facing the front.
only two poor rooms there with no balcony - avoid! Make sure your booking states balcony!
It does not have a sea view, but don't let that put you off in any way.
Don't worry about the frogs in August, all the ''thrusting'' is finished by then!!
Food good - everything good!!
Enjoy - Tony & Linda
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline lph316

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 01:07:51 PM »
thank you all very much for the information.

luckily we had booked a balcony room so hopefully it will all work out ok.

we are not fussed about sea views, of course they are nice to have but as long as we are not facing the dining room i think we will be content.

Offline lph316

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »
Hi

I just thought i would see if there was anyone who has stayed at, or been to the Thomas Bay since the season started?

I have just emailed them asking about prices for air con, safety deposits and fridges, just waiting on a reply.

thanks

Offline gaynor542

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
Hi
I stayed at the Thomas Bay last year Late Aug early Sept and had a brilliant time. Loved the village and loved the hotel and staff, everybody really friendly.
Will be going back next year to the Thomas Bay just gutted that I cant go back this year
Gaynor

Offline lph316

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »
That's good to hear thanks.

I've just found out that there are no fridges in the rooms which I am pretty gutted about. We like to keep water and even the after sun in there.

Does anyone know if you can hire fridges from an outside company in the village?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 10:21:37 PM »
Buy a bottle of water from Nikos and ask for an Ice bucket.
If we all do this - fridges will come!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Anesidora

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »
I've recently come back from SS and stayed at the Thomas Bay. My 2nd time in the resort but stayed at the Athena before.

When you're looking at the hotel if you've got a room on the very right hand side you'll hear the frogs but they may calm down in August.  If you're on the other side to those rooms you'll either be looking at the pool or the restaurant which is where we were, on the first floor.  We only had the sun in the morning and used our towels over the side to help block the restaurant but the noise wasn't too bad (you may want to close the window on the karaoke night unless you're joining in).  The beds were the most comfortable I've had on a Greek holiday and I've being going for years.  We were disappointed about the fridge but the water was so cheap in the supermarket we just bought cold bottles each day and if you're inclined to a glass of wine in your room you can buy it from the bar and take it up.  The wine was v. good and so was the cost of it and for a Mythos as other resorts have been pricier.  What we didn't know before we went was that you could hire beach/pool towels for 2.50 p/week (not sure what they're like).

The one thing we found that wasn't really necessary was that they had Sky news on TV in the restaurant at breakfast and evening meals or the football.  The staff were very good and friendly.  Some staff and cleaners were surprised when we used our limited Greek (good morning, good evening, thank you etc) which they seemed to appreciate but showed that not many people do it very often.  Except for one night I think, they had entertainment every night which we weren't into but can understand why some are.  The menu isn't bad for a hotel and for the second week they didn't repeat it exactly which was good.

If you're on the beach we spent most lunches at the Mango Bar, the food and staff were very good.  For quite a small and quiet resort in the evenings the few bars that were there were competing who could be the loudest, you're sat in one bar and can hear the music from another two. 

I hope I'm not putting you off, everyone's opinions are different especially when it comes to a holiday and you have to take reviews with a pinch of salt.  If you have a meal out all the tavernas are good, 2 stars taverna is a typical Greek Taverna with no gimmicks.

Overall it was a good two week holiday, sun, sea, sand and Greek food. Wish I could go back!

Offline lph316

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 05:07:47 PM »
thank you for the review, it is nice to hear from someone who has been this year.

we have asked for a top floor room over looking the pool, so fingers crossed.

Offline thejoneses

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 11:14:30 PM »
Hello Iph

We had the pleasure of staying in the Thomas Bay for our honeymoon night , courtesy of Noula in San Stef Travel .. was beautiful but not sure if it was a top of the the range room or standard .. also that was 10 years ago , and im guessing once you been you will keep going back , its a fantastic , relaxed , happy , safe  place to enjoy a holiday . Athens bar is nuts in a good way .Nikos is a legend , Condor is good for a laff , but not too many times ( bit predictable ) . 3W great for a beer and ( get this ) game of darts . always footy on somewhere if you want it . bingo is available at Thomas Bay twice a week the wife tells me !! great time for me and my boy to leave the girls to it . eldest daughter won 110 euros last year !! all tavernas have their own individuality and are just a question of trial . 

Sure youll have a great time

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni