Author Topic: How I found San Stefanos.!!!  (Read 176723 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: How I found San Stefanos.!!!
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2012, 03:23:57 AM »
Hi Petros and Susannah, a big welcome to the forum, and I must say I am enjoying this forum thread as a few members with long term experiences are cropping up.

Isn't it amazing how the years fly past - -but I can remember my first trip as if it were last week!
I had forgotten DanAir - that airline was a gem!

emjon from '96 is a long time but some of us go way back.
I do miss the old Ag.Stef, but still have a great affection with the new one as well.

Who remembers Waves Taverna had the only international phone? no mobiles here then.
We used to queue up to use it - in a tiny kiosk type space inside - - but fun times!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2012, 10:42:07 PM »
 not to mention freddie laker..your inflight meal came in a shirt box...

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2012, 03:14:03 AM »
Good old freddie!

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
First time in Corfu was at the age of 6 at the Yaliscari Palace in Paleokastritsa and like it alot.  The year after that and mum got a cheapy to San Stefanos and apparently Dad looked at her as they arrived in 1980 (and there wasnt much there then to be fair) and said 'where the hell have you bought us?'.

We have laughed a lot over his first words in the years since as dad absolutely loves it there and its hard to describe how the place and the people get under your skin and make you feel 'part of something'.  Its the only place in the world that I can truly relax and feel at peace and although our first stay was at the Nafsika, we have stayed loads of other places since but my mum and dad especially have made firm friends in Spiros and Aris M, Spiros K, Leo and Nikos, Stefanos, Vagelis, George and of course Theodora :)

It really is a life long love affair  ;D

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2012, 11:39:13 PM »
How lovely, Silverstar

Offline Ioanna

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »
Hi Papapetros, we so very nearly met when you were first in SS because we were out in the September with Greek Connection ( Teresa has a lot to answer for ) we flew Danair as I worked for them at the time .
Our paths have crossed so very many times over the years and yet we tried so hard to avoid you ! I shall be back out there on 23rd September watched over by Sophocles , so unless you are getting ready to pack your cases we will have to wait until next June to 'duck and dive' . xxx Ioanna

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2012, 04:04:45 AM »
Silverstar - you landed 3 years before we did - - we first arrived in '83 after a night flight, and guess what I said???

What the hell is this - - this is awful - - - I'm going to hate this holiday - - - nothing here!!

- - - it was actually - one of the best ever holidays

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »
I know Tony! -  my dad was absolutely horrified and started berating my mum for booking somewhere 'in the arse end of nowhere' and what a terrible holiday it was going to be.

32 years later, they got back last week from their 25th visit to SS and over the years have made solid friendships with the locals and they have been invited back to weddings and christenings which they have gone to.   I feel like I 'grew up' with Spiros (bikes) and Leo (Teresa) because we are the same age (Spiros is only a couple of months younger than me) and as we went out every year when I was growing up we all became very close.   

My younger sister hasnt been back since she was 17 though (she is 35 now) and so she will see some big changes when we go over for our big family holiday next August - can't wait - am on here every day now just to feel a bit closer to SS and everyone who loves it as much as me :)

Really hoping to meet up with some forum members whilst I'm there as well - going from 5-19th August 2013 so let me know if anyone going to be there around the same time!   ;D

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2012, 11:17:08 PM »
Just like you - our son grew up going to San Stefanos with us, and made friends with & played with the Greek kids on the beach.
We also went to quite a few weddings & Christenings, (Kostas from The Golden Beach was the first one in 1984).
Our son Mark later moved on to hanging out with all the local lads, including Spiros (bikes), and many others, going clubbing in Sidari and Corfu Town, etc......
and now - just like our son, many of the the local lads, married and have families, & are all still firm friends - - that's San Stefanos for you!

Offline Westward

• SanStef Regular
  • Need a holiday
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »
Resurrecting this post. :-)

We found San Stef whilst in bed one May Sat morning, poss 1992 reading papers. Noticed a Daily Mirror £99 offer, one week self catering Corfu, we flew the following Tuesday. (Allocated on arrival). We ended up in Mythos? apts. They were brand new then. Stewart had to screw on the drawer handles and unwrap the new cutlery.  We bought coat hangers from the shop and was reimbursed from the Thomson rep.  Loved it .
Live
Life
Love

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2014, 07:11:16 PM »
We love Greece and over the years have tried to visit as many islands as possible. We went to Corfu on a day trip from Parga in 2002 but obviously only had a few hours in Corfu town. Then a couple of years ago we were wondering which island to spend our holiday on, and saw the TV programme "A tale of 2 islands", thought SS looked nice and went last year. Booked again for this year!

Offline Ioanna

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2014, 01:30:39 PM »
We love Greece and over the years have tried to visit as many islands as possible. We went to Corfu on a day trip from Parga in 2002 but obviously only had a few hours in Corfu town. Then a couple of years ago we were wondering which island to spend our holiday on, and saw the TV programme "A tale of 2 islands", thought SS looked nice and went last year. Booked again for this year!
That's it you will be smitten now !

Offline Achandler

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »
Went when I was 4 with mum when the Athens Bar was being rennovated for the first time. Have been going whenever I can afford to ever since, heading there for 3 weeks on the 23rd :) cannot wait absolutely love the place!

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2014, 01:39:02 AM »
  Yep,i was in athens bar apartments in 93,located over the bar in those days...was only a small place,with a pool table.noola would give my son tokens for the table.very nice family,and nikos finally getting married...

Offline Jacksi

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2014, 12:55:03 AM »
We first went to SS in (I think it was) 2007.  We had already booked to go to Rhodes as our main holiday in the summer but I just fancied a week away at other half's end of May shutdown week.  I was bored at work (no chance of that happening now!) and just started looking on the Thomson's web site and saw, what seemed too good to be true, a perfect holiday!!  Afternoon flights from Doncaster (was gonna be a bit tight time wise as he didn't leave work until lunchtime) adult only (in school holidays) and half board and cheap!!!  It sounded perfect took a lot of persuading other half we could afford two holidays but I won, and off we went to the Thomas Bay!  We had the most amazing week, met some brilliant people and vowed we would be back! Ironically a girl I work with had booked the Terezas for the two weeks prior to us without each of us knowing - they went home on the plane we arrived on!!  They went back the following year too. 

The following year we went long haul, which we did for a few years as well as visiting other Greek Islands but always still talking about San Stefanos.  After looking at other places in Corfu we decided to go back last year but after feeling we missed out on all the gorgeous restaurants by staying half board the first time we decided to stay at Terezas bed and breakfast.  We again had a brilliant time and couldn't believe that the staff in Thomas Bay had remembered us when we called in after all that time!  As soon as we got home there was no discussion we booked again to go to Terezas and 8 weeks as now we will just be arriving. 

After finally reading all the posts on this section I feel very envious of all of you who have been going for years and so wish we had brought our children here whilst they were young so that they could have fallen in love with the place as we have done! 

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni