Author Topic: How I found San Stefanos.!!!  (Read 174449 times)

YANNIS26

Re: How I found San Stefanos.!!!
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »
 Hi.my first time in agios stefanos was in 1991.came with Thompsons.stayed up at old Romanza.The hotel as it is now was an apartment for 6 persons, with the owners living below, old mr costas and nina.Thats when we fell in love with the resort.We have had so many happy holidays here.From making local wine the old way, in the barrel treading the grapes, to the festivals in Avliotis and all the friends we have made over the years.Dont stay at Romanza now, hill is a bit to much and definatley dont use Thompsons, always make our own plans.this year its Pelie&marias, our first time with them.the last 3 years has been with Spiros at Nafsika, thassilis and the Athens bar, before their new apartments.cant wait for july.
Hi Rilo57
Welcome to the forum.I am afraid old Mr Costas is no longer with us. His wife Nina (Katerina) is now living with her daughter Nitsa (Helen) and her husband Costas in Corfu Town in the winter. She is staying with them at the Romanza for the season.
Yammas
Yiannis
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:11:44 PM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »
 Hi Yiannis.

How sad to hear about mr costas, spent so many wonderfull hours with him.i spoke no greek, and him no english but a pen and paper and a beer or too and we was friends for life.was looking forward to call in and see him in Avliotis.anyway i shall give my regards to the family at Romanza when i visit.can you tell me when he passed away?

YANNIS26

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 04:39:03 PM »
Hi Yiannis.

How sad to hear about mr costas, spent so many wonderfull hours with him.i spoke no greek, and him no english but a pen and paper and a beer or too and we was friends for life.was looking forward to call in and see him in Avliotis.anyway i shall give my regards to the family at Romanza when i visit.can you tell me when he passed away?
Hi Rilo
Not certain of the exact date but it was early this year.Had the pleasure of meeting Katerina for the first time in early May.We will be back to renew our wonderful friendships with family & staff later this month.This will be our 12th year at the Romanza.They say good things get better with age.How right they are.
Yammas
Yiannis
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:11:22 PM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 10:06:27 PM »
Costas passed away early in February following a lung infection.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 11:15:16 PM »
thanks for the info.yep Romanza has got bigger over the years.family as friendly as ever.nothing too much trouble.in the early years it was difficult Thompson was playing dirty with them after investing so much money.They lost the trade from them for a couple of years, so i agreed to sell the rooms privatley from england, put comercials out at work and left brochures in various places.it was helpfull for them and got over a bad patch.Thats why i never  use Thompson after that.

YANNIS26

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
This thread is on the subject of (How I Found San Stefanos).I apologise for going off thread but I would have to agree with Rilo.
(How I found Thomsons in 1984) was I thought a company who cared.In 2012 I know as you will have noticed from my various posts on the subject, this is no longer true.I like Rilo book independent and hope I will be able to do so for many years to come.
Yammas
Yiannis  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:02:39 PM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline Papapetros

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02:56 PM »
Have viewed the forum on a number of occasions over the last couple of years and normally find the topics discussed interesting and informative,so i thought join and possibly share a few "little gems" over the coming months and hopefully years ahead.so,here goes;
           Like many others,we found Agios Stefanos via Greek Connection and our first visit was in August 1986,when for £199 we stayed at the Theodoras for 2 weeks after flying Danair from Gatwick.The Theodoras were then virtually in the Olive groves down the lane towards Arillas, now the Tennis courts have been laid opposite them.
              To say we became "hooked" would be an understatement,as we have been back every year since,sometimes twice,sometimes thrice and one year four times to take in a December Wedding.In all our visits total in excess of 60,but,we are not sure exactly how many and too old to work it out!
   We have stayed in a number of different apartments and after Sunmed etc,started to make our ownway and stayed regularly with Manthos and Michalis at Anatoli.However,we have stayed with the Koutivis for at least the last 12 years and return to them on Monday next for another 4 week stint
     I will further update our C.V. in the morning.

Petros and Wife

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum Papapetros, wow! With a history of 6o+ visits I am sure you will be a major source of information and advice as well as providing reminiscence therapy to the old guard on here! I look forward to your posts, I  am sure many will be intrigued by your history , expect many welcomes with questions to follow! Enjoy.

YANNIS26

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »
Hi Petros
Welcome to the forum.I am certain you will have a lot of wonderful memories of your many visits to San Stefanos and god willing many more to come.
Yammas
Yiannis

Offline SANDY

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2012, 09:59:42 PM »
So sorry to hear about Costas he was a gentleman.
Our first visit to San Stef was at the Romanza in the early nineties.
We were there when they started leveling the ground for the new rooms,
Helena"s husband Costas dug the foundations with a pick ax whilst wearing flip flops.
Although we have not stayed there since we always go and see Costas and Helena and we are
welcomed like family,all lovely people as are all the locals.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »
Sad news about old Costas......nice bloke

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »
Welcome Petros can't wait to hear some of your recollections of all your visits bet you have seen some changes since your first visit my Husband says it's like putting on your favourite pair of slippers and settling down for the night you relax as soon as you get there

Offline Papapetros

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »
Thanks for the welcoming messages,very much appreciated.Been a little too busy to add to my original  post yet.Ruddy work and football.Wow.Ireland just equalised-Great!!.Picking the car up at the Airport midday tomorrow,straight to Lidls for initial impoortant supplies,Gin and Tonic,enough to last 4 weeks in Agios Stefanos .Manthos is open and we will spend our first evening there and wonder at the beauty of the views and the sunset.Lucky old us.P
                       Petro and Susannah

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
We found San Stef about 10 or 12yrs or so ago, not sure when exactly.  We knew a couple who lived in SS 6 months of the year Pat & Joe and they told us we were missing a real gem of a place. Thanassis had just built 2 apartments now enlarged to Tsaros apartments and we stayed there. The hill killed us though and the next time we asked them to recommend somewhere a little flatter. They came up with Anatoli and we've gone there ever since.

Offline emjon

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2012, 11:50:04 PM »
We found SMS in 1996 we wanted a quiet resort as I was pregnant with our 1st child and husband had been to roda several years before. Due to finances we didn't return until 2002 with 2 children, who both love ss, think it is the best place. We now are now coming back for 5th visit in 8 weeks. We tried arrivals one year but came to ss most days. Cannot wait to come back, never done independent travel have used Thomas cook for last few trips. Had to book the Vicky apts more than 1 year in advance before they got booked, so had a long countdown for this one, but we all know it is worth it

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni