Author Topic: How I found San Stefanos.!!!  (Read 174451 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: How I found San Stefanos.!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 01:29:02 AM »
debra - I really liked our stay in Parga, but it's true. When one walked down to the entrance to the promenade the smell from the harbour there was really vomit-inducing. To our amazement, people were actually eating at tavernas there - presumably a new Weight Watchers' strategy (get it down, bring it up!)

That region of Epirus is so rich - Dodoni (the oldest theatre in Greece) - the lovely town of Ioannina by its lake and with the cave system that has signs of human habitation dating back 38,000 years. It's worth the stink!

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »
We found San Stefanos completely by accident.
Having had two consecutive years with atrocious flight times, we'd made an executive decision that
wherever we went, we didn't want to arrive in the wee small hours, or be hanging around until midnight for the flight home.
I checked the Glasgow Airport website and found the Thomas Cook Corfu flights were 9.00 out and 15.45 return, which was perfect.
The resort was decided on as it was the smallest and quietest we could find (same reason we stay at the Vicky).
Then I found this forum and knew we'd made the right choice.
We go elsewhere for short breaks now, but I can't see us going anywhere different for our main three weeks for a while, yet!

Offline DuncanG

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »
I completely agree.

Offline mike30542

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 10:47:46 PM »
We found San Stefanos because Thomson stopped using the  accommodation in Gouvia which we had booked in December 2011 for our June 2012 holiday. They offered us Little Prince as an alternative & a quick search & subsequent discovery of these forums indicated San Stefanos should suit us nicely. We'll know for sure in 10 days time but the more I read about it the happier I become.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2012, 10:50:16 PM »
Hey Mike - fingers crossed!  Am very optimistic!

don

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »
Does that mean we've got an Indonesian restaurant as well as a Chinese?

Peanuts Jimbo  ;D

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »
Debra and Jimbo - that was lovely on the previous page - it puts into words what is felt by so many.
We wouldn't dream of returning here year after year for so many years,
if it was not for the invisible feel good factor that infects everyone -
you just don't know it until you get back home or go elsewhere on holiday.

We have been to prettier beaches, or quieter, or busier towns and villages, met lovely people, all over the world,
however, we often remark - - "it's brilliant here - - - - but - - - - it's not San Stefanos" - "something in the mix is missing"!!

Agios Stefanos has a certain magic that makes it very special, lovely local people, a good beach and everything you need to chill out and relax.
It's almost an addiction - - an addiction to relaxing enjoyment  - - - in a place where everyone talks to each other  - - - and loves the place!!
Have a great 2012 holiday everyone!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2012, 12:10:34 AM »
What year did you first go Tony?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 02:00:11 AM »
By accident in 1983, with Greek Connection Holidays, now bust!! & When I was young and very fit! Lol

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »
I wish I had gone then - I nearly went in the early 1990's and changed my mind at the last minute!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »
I think in some ways it was better, but on the flip side  - - there is more to do now and it's grown quite nicely!
The feeling you get is still the same, but I miss walking along the road to Arillas and people giving me eggs, tomatoes etc from their gardens,
now it's a lot more apartments, etc..

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 11:23:59 PM »
Hi tony
you are spot on,my first trip was with ilos island holidays stayed with Theo up the hill
fresh fruit every day and the morning we left it was a breakfast no charge
where did you stay on your first visit?

Chris

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »
tony - it sounds fab, we went to Cyprus in 1985 and it was just like that - We went to Ayia Napa and it was just simple, people inviting us into their homes - have never been back - It was such a magical holiday I couldn't bear to spoil it!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »
1983 and 1984 was in Nikos Apartments as they were then, belonging to The Golden beach, just behind the Church, above the old Harbour, they were nice then and now all refurbished are fantastic! 1985 / 86 / 87 was in Michalis's Apartments (Mike and Katie). Then many and various what ever was available for our booking, Nondas Villas, Leonidas Villas, one I can't remember the name of one up above / left of, the Golden Beach, the one next to Vasillas & Margaritas Mum,  - - etc  etc - all over the resort, then some Thomsons various Hotels and Apt's, Noula's various apt's, loads of different ones!
(Mind you still some we haven't tried yet!).
Yes and it was great - staying in different places helped to keep it all fresh to us in a way - but we are just pleased to go there now!

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »
  Hi.my first time in agios stefanos was in 1991.came with Thompsons.stayed up at old Romanza.The hotel as it is now was an apartment for 6 persons, with the owners living below, old mr costas and nina.Thats when we fell in love with the resort.We have had so many happy holidays here.From making local wine the old way, in the barrel treading the grapes, to the festivals in Avliotis and all the friends we have made over the years.Dont stay at Romanza now, hill is a bit to much and definatley dont use Thompsons, always make our own plans.this year its Pelie&marias, our first time with them.the last 3 years has been with Spiros at Nafsika, thassilis and the Athens bar, before their new apartments.cant wait for july.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni