Author Topic: How I found San Stefanos.!!!  (Read 174448 times)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: How I found San Stefanos.!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »
First found San Stef in 2000 when looking to book a Greek Island holiday. Something drew us to Belle Vue apartments and what a great choice they were overlooking the sea. We could hear the waves lapping below in the dark and we couldn't quiet believe what we had got when morning arrived and that view.Been back every year since and now always stay at Teresa. Belle Vue alas is no more but was being re developed last year . Looks terrific. The village people are a very good advert for Corfu and are as friendly today as the first time we arrived. Seen a few changes through the years but the same village heart is still there. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

don

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:15 PM »
I found san steph about the same time ish as tony.went with Ilios island hols stayed with Theo (up opp Manthos )Airport omg men with guns in the shade got your cases out the front from the carts.then on the coach got to san steph mid afternoon and thought what have we let our selfs in for its a ghost town.but after a night in Manthos green shack and pay me later and trying to pay the next day it was getting better.we had breakfast at the golden beach (egg on toast ) only place to get food am.we also had a choice where to eat at night it was Manthos Waves Naffisca or Barras all were good and still are.no pools just the sea oh and the white van on the beach and windsurfing (anyone rem tony )

well that was with the first wife.took a chance and took 2nd wife to Arillas as I love Corfu so much went for broke and walked over the hill to san steph after a 10 year gap it was like we had not been away 2nd wife said why arnt we staying here and we have been since

im not good at writing things down and have prob missed loads but im glad i found san steph (thanks bert )

Any one wanting a nice afternoon with a cold beer overlooking the sea Manthos has loads of pics from years back a young me and i have seen tony in one or two

Chris no 2

I'm up for a beer Chris but MY shout!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »
We probably wouldn't have gone to Ag Stef were it not for the forum. We once went to Kavos (sold to us as a "quiet village" by a travel agent), and I took my son for a week to Sidari when he was about fifteen. As a result of these two experiences we had ruled Corfu out.

The demise of first Laskarina and later Kosmar made us look elsewhere. Gillie found the forum, and discovered a place that seemingly sensible people had been going back to for twenty year or more. It was dangerously close to Sidari - Clacton under a microwave - but over the top of a range of hills high enough to keep the worst of the grockles at bay. It seemed like a vote of confidence.

And so we braved it, going with Thomson for the first time, and fearing the worst. But, of course, we really enjoyed it. It's become like home. The place most like it we know is Paleochora on southern Crete. In fact Gillie said the other day that if we go to Greece this year she only wants to go to Ag Stef.

Big thanks to the forum. Not sure about the "seemingly sensible" bit, though. Frequently bonkers is maybe a better description; but bonkers in a warm, generous and human way, and that goes as well for the locals.

I think this true story proves the point that a zany forum may be a million times better at promoting a place than the usual stereotyped descriptions of agents.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 01:20:27 AM »
Brilliantly put Jimbo!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 01:21:24 AM »
Jules - you have me interested - where were the Belle Vue - and do you know what they are being revamped as?  Thank you!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 03:27:55 AM »
Hi Debra, Belle Vue were virtually at the top of the steps from the beach near to what is now Delphino Blue. They were a block of just 8 apartments sold through Thomsons.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Gill C

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »
Hi Jules, we too stayed several times at Belle Vue in the 90s recommended by my son.To sit on the balcony with drink in hand looking at the view was idyllic.We had many a laugh trying to go up and down the slope to the beach.....no steps in those days!!It was quite sad to see them go as they held lots of memories.

Offline Denise

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 05:19:15 PM »
Really enjoyed reading all of these. :)

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »
We found San Stef 14 years ago. It was the first holiday with my new partner and my twins. Philip is very much a loner an does not do crowds or even cope well with a few humans in close proximity! We had been to a Thomsons Gold the year before in Yialiscari and had decided that it woyld be good to take the kids with us to Corfu. I did tons of research! I knew that we wanted a sandy beach and a quiet resort and eventually we (or rather I ) opted for two weeks at the Efi with Thomsons. (Free child place was the clincher!) The transfer coach went through Sidari.... I could see Philip's anxiety levels heighten every time the coach stopped at one of the complexes and names were called out. He remarked that if our names were called out at one of them he was on the next flight home!
We then did the hair raising coach trip through Avliotes where a boat on a trailer caused much reversing and breath holding (the coach the former, us the latter!)
As the coach went over the top of the bay we felt better. When we (being the last ones off!) eventually pulled up outside the Efi we were delighted! There was a lovely quiet pool and lots of space around it. Dimiti at the bar (there were two of them at the time; daytime Dimitri and night time Dimitri... Daytimemade better milk shakes but was very reserved as I recall.)
We spent our first two amazing weeks in San Stef. We ate at the Paradise a lot and met Glenn. We have been back every year since, bar one. This year I have five weeks and am already looking forward to it.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »
Hi Jules, we too stayed several times at Belle Vue in the 90s recommended by my son.To sit on the balcony with drink in hand looking at the view was idyllic.We had many a laugh trying to go up and down the slope to the beach.....no steps in those days!!It was quite sad to see them go as they held lots of memories.
I agree it was sad to see them go. I think if they maybe had expanded alittle and added a pool they would have been very popular still

don

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »
Don't Delfino Blu have them now? Last year it looked like some work had been done on them.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 12:52:13 AM »
I know the ones you mean now, Thank you Jules.  Yes, I think Delfino have got them and added them as apartments - a brilliant spot!  My son Ben is determined to have his wedding at Delfino, so may stay one night - it is lovely but one night can almost be the cost of a week elsewhere - even though I love luxury - i prefer to stay longer at my favourite magical village!

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 01:22:02 PM »
Interesting to note that a few of us are no returning with different partners from our first visits. The fact that they all love the place too says a lot!

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 09:14:23 PM »
Ever since we were married in 1990, I always wanted to go to Corfu. I was always fascinated by this little Greek island where they played cricket.

We wanted somewhere with a sandy beach and a small hotel with the personal touch. I'm sure we could have ended up at any where in the village but picked Olgas for our first trip in 2008 with Thomson. There are plenty reasons why we returned but the main ones were that my wife felt really safe wandering around and that she liked the way Aristoula ran Olgas. Also our son was 6 and he loved playing with the other young children in the pool. So we ended up going for 4 years on the trot booking her private apt that she kept out the grasp of Thomsons. My wife even does her own speed walk route in the morning - the loop which goes all the way up to Golden beach, along the sand, up to the headland, back to Havana and then a sprint up the stairs - nutcase!

In the subsequent years, like lots of returners, we made friends with many of the locals and the ex-pats. Last year the family who run Sotto Zero made such a fuss of us every day - it was just lovely, Demi, Sofia and Julia are just the best people you could get to know. By staying up at that end of the village we got to know Sam the Man in Aspa and his love of Muay Thai and of course his wife's Katy evolving kitchen story on Facebook. Small Nikos in Athina and tall Nikos now in Condor always make you welcome. And of course Shirley, we love her and can rely on her for the inside track on exactly what is happenning everywhere. What we love is how everyone is friendly but don't invade your space.

So why are we not going back this year? Simples. Our son is getting older and he loves hanging around with lots of young dudes his own age and what we notice about SS in July is that there isn't all that many in that age group. We will return, not sure when, but definitely will return.

In the meantime we will just enjoy the banter on this forum and the multi-cultural contributions from Hull to Albania to the Ukraine and of course to San Stef itself.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 03:16:48 PM »
Are the luxury Paralia Apartments the old Belle Vue apartments?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni