Author Topic: Aquarius Bar  (Read 47398 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Aquarius Bar
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »
Can't say I agree with much of this. You have to pay for sunbeds on the beach, and they're yours for the day. We frequently leave them for a couple of hours for lunch or a walk. So what?

Almost all the dogs on the beach are local dogs. It's part of their territory. I have been known to throw a stick for them. I like dogs on beaches.

And I doubt if the ratio of Italians to Brits on the beach ever exceeds 2 per thousand!

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 06:06:07 PM »
We have met the same italian family for the last three summers at the Manthos end of the beach. They now come with brother and family so there are more of them to spread out but are always pleasant.
This year we met a group of "younger adults" (ie than me)!! with a gorgeous little girl who we met eating out in the evenings on several occasions too....Yiannis made us laugh as he kept whispering how crazy they were!
To be honest I like being next to ppl of different nationalities as I can 'tune the noise out' much more easily than if I can understand the conversation, I can't help but earwig!....Give me them over loud british folk anytime.
Our meal at Yiannis's one night was much more pleasant in between two large groups of italians than it would have been if we had been over the road....the racket being made at the Mythica by one group of incredibly loud and gobby brits was terrible.
Sorry if it was anyone on here! haha!!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 06:46:15 PM »
It was bound to be Tonys clan!!! LOL

Not a problem with it on the beach when youve paid for them......they are yours for the day as Jimbo says!!

Kefalonia was a nightmare....we were staying in one of the nicest hotels in Skala, a hotel that had it's own chapel and used to hold weddings. You used to get wedding parties where the bride/groom and a couple of parents were staying at our hotel and all their guests at different hotels. Everyday there would be various members of the wedding group coming from other hotels to sunbathe round our hotels pool!! Not on really when you consider that ours was more expensive and a lot nicer pool area!

One day a large group was in 'visiting' the bride & groom. I saw one 'visitor' blatently steal two ice creams from the fridge when the bar persons back was turned. He was laughing & joking until me and a lad from South London asked him to pay!! Dont think he fancied a bit of combined Leeds/Millwall aggro!!!!

Offline Soulie

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.TickerFactory.com/] [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10732;0/st/20111113/e/1st+hol+to+San+Stef/dt/5/k/87d5/event.png[/img]
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
I agree that beach sunbeds are a different thing but why should people put towels on sunloungers around the pool area and clear off so other people cant use them.  Different kettle of fish when someone has paid for them, wouldnt dream of touching them.

I also like dogs on the beach, makes me not miss mine so much if I have another one to fuss over  :D

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
I can understand why putting towels on sunbeds around the pool can be annoying but fail to understand why anybody would be annoyed with them doing so on a public beach, if you pay for your sunbed then surely you are entitled to leave it to go for a swim, walk or lunch or whatever you want to do, Joan they probably plonked themselves down because they are entitled to do so, not sure why you think they should act like they have done something wrong when they have not.
I like mixing with other nationalities when abroad afterall we are already doing that anyway by visiting a foreign country. We are all guests regardless of where we come from.

Also you say that the Italians were taking over the beach, the beach is for all the public and does not belong to the English, the Italians cannot take over something that is there for everyones enjoyment, there are far more English people using the beach than Italians.

How do you know that they don't contribute to the economy? Unless you follow each and every one of them then you cannot possibly know this. They have to eat,sleep and drink so my guess is that they are spending their money but if they prefer to bring a picnic to the beach then surely that is their choice. If they want or can only manage a cheap holiday then that is up to them, it is their holiday to do has they please.

We are all foreigners when travelling abroad on holiday.

Online dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 09:53:08 PM »
Agree with everything you say Lilly must agree that some of the worst behaviour we have seen abroad have been Brits one occasion was in Cuba where they deported him back to England on the first available flight as they did the Canadian he was fighting with no messing there

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 11:45:23 PM »
Have to agree wih Joan. This year there were lots of Italians on the beach in very large groups which is not a problem....unless they camp right beside you. BUT as Joan says there was very little evidence of them anywhere in the village at night. I was there for five weeks and ate out / visited many bars every night and did not see them anywhere. I spoke to many of the bar owners and they were all saying that the Italians bring their own food etc with them. Whilst I do take the point that SS is not just there for the Brits I do wish that for the sake of the village everyone would put something back into th eeconomy and not just use the beach.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2011, 12:52:36 AM »
stressed, with respect, the whole idea of an holiday is that you can for a week or two do has you please, an holiday is a time to relax and do what suits you, it is not about anyone else, that is why people refer to it has ' my/our holiday'. It is not up to others to dictate where one should spend their money or how long you should spend on a sunbed.
If the Italians or anyone else for that matter wish to bring their own food then surely that is up to them. Would you dream of telling  someone which make of car they should buy or perhaps which pubs or supermarkets they should visit when they are in their home land, I doubt that you would. It is personal preference and nothing to do with anyone else. They don't need to provide evidence of eating in the taverna's, they are on holiday, their holiday.
The whole point of an holiday for most is to escape the rat race for a week or two and do exactly what you wish to do.
To be honest nobody should be sitting in judgement of how others choose to spend their holidays.
The bottom line is that it is nobody's business but their own.
SS/other resorts belong to anyone who chooses to go no matter what their culture or creed or how they choose to spend their time/money, it is not about how many times you have been there, how much money that you have spent. It is not a competition.
Personally I would not be spending my holiday discussing that the Italians bring their own food because I would be to busy enjoying my holiday, life is too short for hostilities towards others.
This on the whole is a brilliant/friendly forum but I think at times some of the comments on here could actually deter people from visiting.
Just my opinion of course.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:00:08 AM by lilly »

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2011, 01:41:45 AM »
When our children were young we would holiday in France, either camping in a trailer tent or in a self catering Pierre et Vacances apartment if we were skiing.
Having scraped together the money for the basic holiday, I have to admit we did pack up the car with food as everything always seemed sooooo expensive in France (except the wine of course).
We rarely ate out and even this year when we skied we did the same as we knew that the small shops would be very expensive and that paying €5.50 for a coffee on the mountain would eat into our budget pdq!
Having said that it is so, so much nicer in Corfu as we are able to eat out every night...what a luxury compared to cooking on the tent stove.
We did however take the basics with us on both visits this year and we simply can't afford to eat lunch out every day too.
I guess we all do what we have to do moneywise so we can access a few weeks of well deserved relaxation!

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2011, 02:02:22 AM »
Aquarius Bar ......................................... It may have slipped peoples notice but it has no sunbeds but sells drinks and snacks and is run by a brilliant family and attracts friendly customers. Just a nice politely put across thought.
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2011, 02:34:07 AM »
I take your point, Sandra, so let's imagine we're having this discussion in the bar!

We quite often take food to eat on the beach for lunch. We boil some eggs and buy spanakopita in the bakery and tomatoes in the supermarkets. Other days we grace the Havana Bar with our presence.

Presumably the much-maligned Italians are buying something somewhere. The ferry from Brinidisi to Corfu takes 7.5 hours, and a bus from Corfu Town would be a couple more. These are hardly day-trippers. They must be staying somewhere. I haven't so far seen any 737s from Palermo landing on the nudist beach, although I have seen a few German Jumbos. They are then paying 7.5 Euros per brolly and beds. Unless they're carting vast quantities of salami in with them they have probably been to a shop.

On a typical Sunday large numbers of Greeks arrive from Corfu Town. They don't usually hire sunbeds - they camp beside them and between them. They frolic, shout, and spray sand everywhere. They shout a lot. They have free-range kids. They play football and sometimes the ball hits an obese Brit lying like a half-cooked pink turkey on the beach. Should we ban the Greeks from their own beach?

That's life. That's beaches. If you don't like this you might as well hire a boat and go off and find a quiet cove, or stay in the hermetically-sealed environment of the Delfino Blu.

joan

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
Lilly you were not there so how can you make comments, Stressed and I were there we saw what was happening other people made the  same comments.
I am entitled to make comments about what I found , firstly dogs are not allowed on greek beaches and I most certainly do not want dogs running around me with sticks in their mouths chased by over zealous owners making prats of themselves as I said previously,  secondly, I don't mind other nationalities otherwise I would not be in another country and yes there were some very nice families as there always is but the beach was swamped.I am WELL aware there other gobby brits they do tend to stand out and unfortunately you never know who is in a restaurant/taverna until you are sitting down so you make a mental note if you see them steer clear.
The point of this post was to do with sunbeds towels etc and the fact that it was a problem.I have never seen this happen on the beach and if it's going to be a trend we'll have to camp out overnight.... These people did not pay for sunbeds it was on the sand, Ok you may say you don't pay for sand you can sit where you like. As it stands at the moment on the beach everyone is being pushed  further down  as there is more sunbeds than ever which has a knock on effect on those who do not want to coralled in.It's just good manners to be considerate to others.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 01:39:28 PM »
People of all nationalities pay for sunbeds on the beach. It's first come first served. In May, June, July, September and October there are always plenty of sunbeds even at 11am. So either go earlier to the beach or go earlier to resort. Simples!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:48:50 PM by Jimbo »

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 05:43:50 PM »
Joan, why would I need to be there to make a comment on your post? I thought that was the idea of a forum, someone makes a post and others are allowed to comment on that post, not much point of a forum if people are not allowed to comment on other peoples posts. Just like the public beach this is a public forum , open to all.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 11:42:20 PM »
We went to St Andrews beach last week and there were English families everywhere. It was annoying as it was clear they had all been to Mountain Warehouse in the morning cos there were no ski hats or scarves left for us Scots to keep warm whilst playing on the sand.

It was awful so it was.
 :o

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni