Author Topic: Corfu Heat Wave  (Read 18921 times)

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Corfu Heat Wave
« on: July 15, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »
Just a quick warning for anyone coming out to San Steph this weekend, much of the Ionian Island are in the grip of a heatwave with high temperatures even by Greece standards.

Yesterday the temperature in Corfu Town reached 39c and even here in San Steph the mercury reached 36c with the normally cool north west breeze totally absent. The Greek Met. Office has issued heatwave warnings for Corfu, Kefallonia and Zante.

It is also increadibly humid, at the moment its 4.30pm and the temperature is down to 32c but the humidity is 86%! The air feels so thick you could cut it with a knife, even the locals are moaning about the heat but remarkably the dancing still goes on in the Little Prince and Zorbers!!

At night the temperature falls only slowly and last night at 1am it was still 27c, air conditioning is a must and I feel sorry for anyone without it.

Having said all that the Mythos is still served freezing coid so time for me to go and get another ;)

Andy

Offline claret and blue

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Corfu Heat Wave
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
we were told about the heatwave just before we left on monday....it was certainly getting hotter when we were there! get in the shade, slap the suncream on and get a cold mythos!!!!!! ;)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »
Andy sure ain't kidding! It is, as they say here, para poli zesti !

HOWEVER - the sea is a wonderful temperature - like bathing in the waters of paradise. We were sitting at Waves for a late lunch watching the horses from the riding school wading about in the sea over towards the old harbour. The islands are just faintly visible through the heat haze. There was a tiny breeze - just a few miles an hour - for a while this morning, but it didn't last long.

Me - I sleep fine without air-con, which I hate. Maybe four years living in the African bush trained me for it!

Offline sunshine

• SanStef Hero
  • 6th September. Staying at Jasmine pool bar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »
my daughter txt me this morning from zante and said it was 38c and were told it would go up to over 40c

Offline sooz

• SanStef Regular
  • X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:38:27 PM »
Yes it has been extremely hot.  We had decided to do without aircon this year but would have succumbed this week had we been able to track the owner down to get it connected! :'(

Sue and Ricard
CORFU - I CAME, I SAW - IT CONQUERED!

Offline vickyapts

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
We all like the heat, but not this hot.  Believe me, all us locals are suffering and the heatwave is set to continue right through August.  In Avliotes, it is even hotter.  My sleep is suffering, which is not good.  Sleep deprivation is not good for the soul.  September can't come quick enough for cooler nights!  8)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »
TV just showed forecast for next week Tues & Wednesday hitting 43c, my advise stay out of the 'direct' sun as it will be far hotter than 43c, drink plenty of water, eat fresh fruit and salads and plenty of high factor creams (not oils). Sunhats are essential thats for both guys and the gals and make sure those babies are covered up too......... 8)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 05:56:11 PM »
Lesley, that is good advice.  We arrived back last night and for 3 days last week we barely left the apartment as the heat and humidity were just too much. If you cannot stand that temperature, you will most certainly need air con.  My husband had slight heatstroke although he kept out of the sun on the really hot days.  Have to agree though, the sea was very welcoming and my advice is to keep in and out of the sea to cool down if you do go on the beach!  We have come back to torrential rain today so that is a bit of relief, but would still love to be back in San Stef!!  Missing it already! ;)

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »
Rehydrated with Nikos and Pavlos and Dimmos last night. Mythos rubbed in very gently. Boy is it lovely and HOT!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 04:09:52 AM »
I like it hot, but worry for the kids, any idea how long the heatwave is on for??
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 09:53:43 AM »
Current view of the locals is right through August, I'm afraid.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »
Extra advice given on TV this morning was add a little extra salt to your food as this helps with your body losses during the extreme heat.
Re heat certainly through this next week according to TV and as Jimbo says most locals believe it to be here for some time.
There is a slight breeze this morning so it feels a little less humid at moment.
Off to beach now .............sunhat, high factor cream and a big bottle of water........ 8)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
A parasol on the beach will be a must as well.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 06:32:05 AM »
I think a swim will be a must too!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »
Forecast suggests a 20% chance of thunderstorms next Friday, so that might clear the air a bit if it happens.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni