Author Topic: Eating Out 2011  (Read 20229 times)

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Eating Out 2011
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »
Now back and can confirm that I am one stone heavier!

Managed to take in three new restaurants this year at Olympia, Fantasea and Sunset.

We worked out over previous visits we had walked past Sunset 50 times in the evening going out for our meal, therefore decided it was time to visit. Like others who've been we were annoyed it took us so long to walk in. The food was fantastic, the restaurant was peaceful (4 families) and Spiros was entertaining afterwards with his stories of how the road had changed over the last 30 years.

Fantasea: Once we got used to what was is a very small menu when compared to elsewhere we agreed the food was delicious. I had Meze Onassis followed by Stuffed Tomatoes. Our friends at Sotto explained that the FS menu was small to ensure all meals were freshly cooked and cuts out the need to carry lots of ingredients. A smart move and worth a walk along but be prepared for a smaller menu than the other tavernas.

Olympia: First time in for us. It seemed a lost busier than previous years. Food was knockout and agree with Don, its stifado was terrific with the mixed grill accounting for probably half my weight gain.

We had 6 nights in Zorbas where Pavlos again is on top form. The food is still great and the dancing terrific. Definitely our favourite place. As well as Kelftico, Kokkinisto and Stifado I also tried the Loppas (pork, lamb onion and peas) and the Kaisserli (lamb with apricot) both of which were deliciously tender.

The other tavernas we went to were Little Prince (only once amazingly), Yiannis, Town Pizza, Beachcomber for its famous coconut fish curry (altho it was close choice between that and the beef roulade) and the Greek Dancing Saturday night at Manthos. Special mention for the service in Beachcomber,  it really is lovely.

For those still to go and are querying costs, we are a family of three (adult menu for the boy now) and our average spend was between €26 at Yiannis to €55 at Manthos for the dancing. Typically we were spending around €45 in taverna including beer, wine and fanta. Great value when you know you will eat a tasty meal.

That said, every night we then went via either Gladiator or Princess Bar to Sotto Zero Ice Cream Parlour to round off the eating with a completely unnecessary plate of cheesecake or choc souffle - but it was worth it. Looking back I'm quite please I only put on a stone given most nights I ate two puddings.

For lunches we used Olga's pool bar, Havanna, Mango and Akrotiri on the hill. All filled the tummy nicely.

Hope those still to travel find this helpful and rekindles memories for those who've returned.

Yammas

Gavlah1973

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »
Great post mate......I could almost be walking down the street with all the wafts coming from the various eateries! Yummm!

Must admit my favourite all time meal last year was the Kokkinisto at the Romanza! Katy even took time to write down the recipe for me Cooked it twice since and both times it worked out well, not as good as hers, but good all the same. We also loved Zorbas last year, ate there 3 times.
The two of us would have a 2 course meal with a litre of wine and it used to come to between 20 & 30 Euros dependant on restaurant

don

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »
Could follow that as a holiday plan LoftyScot. Enjoyed reading it nearly as much as eating it !

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 02:05:07 AM »
Got to agree with you Gav, Katies kokkinisto is the best.

She also gave me the recipe which I have cooked at home (some in the freezer now) several times but, as you say it's not as good as hers.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 02:16:30 AM »
Great report from lofty.

My only issue is that I find the portions mindbogglingly huge in most places. This can be quite off-putting.

I don't eat large amounts, so usually have to take some food bags to scoop at least half in secretly to chuck away later. I reckon the amount of lamb when I had my last lamb with apricots in Zorba's was enough for three of us for a Sunday dinner. This is a bit sad. There is no point in asking for smaller portions - the village is geared to vast eaters.

We've taken generally now to making up a small meze and avoiding the vast main meal events.

YANNIS26

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »
Hi Gav
I am glad you enjoyed the Romanza food.Katie and family have now been there 3 year.They had a very difficult act to follow when Leo and Jenny left to open the Mythica.At the time there was a lot of comments on various forums expressing concern that the Romanza Taverna would never be the same again.They were right, in my opinion it is now better then ever.Couple the very high standard of food with the service and welcome that has to be experienced to be believed.Do not take my word for it as I could be slightly biased.Check out the Trip Advisor reviews,a lot of them from first timers.You will see that a very high percentage cannot praise enough,the quality of food and the great welcome and service provided to all.I say all, because if you are a veteran like myself or a first timer ,it makes no difference.If you want to join the Romanza family you will be welcomed with open arms.
Anyone in San Stefanos on holiday who feels they can conquer cardiac hill, please visit the Romanza Taverna and form your own opinion.
Yammas
Yiannis
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:46:34 PM by YIANNIS26 »

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 01:44:20 PM »
Hi Gav
I am glad you enjoyed the Romanza food.Katie and family have now been there 3 year.They had a very difficult act to follow when Leo and Jenny left to open the Mistral (MYTHICA).At the time there was a lot of comments on various forums expressing concern that the Romanza Taverna would never be the same again.They were right, in my opinion it is now better then ever.Couple the very high standard of food with the service and welcome that has to be experienced to be believed.Do not take my word for it as I could be slightly biased.Check out the Trip Advisor reviews,a lot of them from first timers.You will see that a very high percentage cannot praise enough,the quality of food and the great welcome and service provided to all.I say all, because if you are a veteran like myself or a first timer ,it makes no difference.If you want to join the Romanza family you will be welcomed with open arms.
Anyone in San Stefanos on holiday who feels they can conquer cardiac hill, please visit the Romanza Taverna and form your own opinion.
Yammas
Yiannis
Mythica for Jenny and Leo
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

YANNIS26

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 02:50:53 PM »
Hi Jules
Thanks for picking up my error.
I must be going senile for making a mistake like that.I woudnt mind,I proof read and still missed it.
Yammas
Yiannis
Apologies to Leo & Jenny

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »
We ate out in the Mythica, one evening, Jenny was away until last friday.
Leo was there and the food was great.
also try the evening meals in the Fantasea - also top of the range - great menu, lots of fresh food well prepared!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni