Author Topic: Advice needed re water pollution  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Chocs

• View Profile
Advice needed re water pollution
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:53:01 AM »
We have just returned from our second visit to Aghios Stefanos, first was in September last year.  We really liked the place and returned at the beginning of June.  Loved the surrounding area and walking about, lots of wildlife, plants etc to see.  Last time, on the road up to the Rose Garden, we looked for ages over the wee bridge and saw the turtles (terrapins?), a kingfisher, and a water snake.  This time we looked over the same bridge and saw nothing but foam, detergent pollution, presumably from the laundry.  This was the case each time we looked, over the fortnight we were there.  Obviously if this continues it will eventually kill the fish, then the other wildlife in the food chain and surrounding area.

We spoke about this to a couple of local people to try and establish who, if anyone, was responsible for prevention of industrial environmental pollution, but didn't get far.  I have since had a few suggestions to follow up (we took photos), but wondered if anyone on this forum could help with names. 

I am only too well aware that Greece has possibly more pressing problems just now, but this is an important issue and I would like to pursue it if possible.  If nobody does anything it will certainly get worse as it looks like the laundry is planning expansion.  This is a lovely place and as visitors I feel we have a responsibiity to do what we can to keep it that way.

Can anyone help with a local contact?

Thanks
Maggie

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni