Author Topic: San Stef Virgin - Where Should We Eat on our First Night ?  (Read 50359 times)

Offline Cheddar

• View Profile
San Stef Virgin - Where Should We Eat on our First Night ?
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »
Hi All,

Can't wait to get to San Stef for 10 nights in early June and have really enjoyed and been entertained / informed by this fantastic forum.

My question is to all you San Steffanatics - Which Taverna / Restaurant should Caroline and I eat on the first night - always an important choice - we're easily pleased and as long it's got cold Mythos, wine by the jug, Greek food and checked table cloths (all right so I can live without the table cloths but I demand slightly uncomfortable rafia and wooden chairs !).

I've seen the seven night guide (very useful), but would love to get your first night choices.

Thanks in advance,

John.

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: San Stef Virgin - Where Should We Eat on our First Night ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
I suppose everyone has their own agenda but we always eat in Zorbas on our first night followed by several cold beers in Athens Bar!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »
John - you have just kicked a hornets' nest! You will now get about 20 totally contradictory postings.

My (shortly to be disputed) view is either Nafsika or Little Prince.

Just wait!!!!

Offline carole.mike

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:00:17 PM »
my wife and i go to yannis restaurant on the main road at the t/junction you get a three course meal last years cost was 9euros ,reccomend this place as you first night in s/s ,very cold mythos good service hope you enjoy yourselfs in gods country s/s have a happy hoilday yammas mike [quack quack man].

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »
Yet another option...

we always eat at Olympia on the first night. But everyone has their own holiday rituals. Where ever you eat you will undoubtedly eat there on the first night next time you go....as you very likely will.

don

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:20:02 PM »
As we are regular midnight arrivees we tend to go to either of the two Gyros sellers. Both open late. Both excellent fare, traditional and great value.
First proper evening meal could be anywhere as long as it is the choice of the other half.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:10:25 AM »
Go to Zorbas, get a warm welcome from Pavlos and Billy. Tell them it's your first time and then enjoy.......

Mythos

Stuffed Vine Leaves

Kleftico

Mamas frozen chocolate cake

Red wine by the litre jug.

Kumquat liquer (one of your 5 a day)

Great dancing.

Double check the bill, as you'll be convinced they've missed something of it!

3 little words

Yabba dabba doo.

ps, any of the other two dozen or so recommendations posted in the next 48 hrs will be just dandy too.....enjoy  ;)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:38:37 AM »
Lofty - you missed off the lamb with apricots!

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 02:07:19 AM »
Lofty - you missed off the lamb with apricots!

Obviously not a Shani Lewis fan!
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
We almost always eat at Nafsika.  Our opinion is that it is rustic and Spiros and his staff are very welcoming. We love the Greek traditional food and atmosphere there.  You can eat outside or inside, but we prefer outside.  We normally don't eat until about 9.30 to 10pm when it is very quiet.  Everybodys' taste is different and we personally don't think you will have a bad meal or experience in any of the restaurants there.  Try them all while you are there, you will soon find your favourite/s.  Have a great holiday!!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:13:10 PM »
Obviously not a Shani Lewis fan!

Haven't got the faintest idea who Shani Lewis is! Sounds like a half-Welsh Pakistani. Interesting.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 04:23:48 PM »
We almost always eat at Nafsika.  Our opinion is that it is rustic...

I think Spiros would probably prefer "sophisticated" to "rustic".

Looking forward to some of that in July. It was a bit chilly last October.

Overall, it's quite hard to get a seriously bad meal in AS (changed from San Stef to Agios Stef) because it's really not at all like Sidari or Kavos.

We'll eat in Little Prince the night we arrive because the food's great and we're staying there. It seems to me to be a bit impolite to arrive for the third year, hug, and vanish off elsewhere.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 12:03:58 AM »
Jimbo

In one of life's small coincidences we have a recipe for lamb with apricots. It's one of our favourites and will be cooked for my sister's 63rd when she visits us the weekend after next.

Yammas

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 02:54:30 AM »
Lofty - As we overlap in July we can have a bit of an outing to assess the Zorba's product. When I was student way back in the early sixties my ex-wife and I used to make it often, using very cheap cuts of lamb and dried apricots.

I wouldn't advise John to go there on their first night, because it's the only taverna I know where the food is kept hot by the sheer radiation of female lust. The waiters are all good-looking, but Vasilis is dangerously beautiful in a strong attacking-the-gates-of-Troy kind of way. Last year there were a couple of rather well-spoken women in their thirties sitting next to us; I noticed the eye-lines; I noticed the lull in their conversation; I noticed the strange flush in the cheeks. "Excuse me," I said to nearest woman, "May I just ask if you think Vasilis is incredibly good-looking?"  Wrenching her eyes off him for all of two seconds she replied "Sadly, yes."

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »
Great subject and as most have said everyone has there favourites. We will probably go to Zorba on our first night but that is not set in stone. Whereabouts ar you staying as that may also dictate where you go. There are so many fantastic tavernas you will find it hard to choose.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni