Author Topic: weather in May  (Read 11143 times)

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
weather in May
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
We are looking at visiting SS in May or July this year, we have been to Corfu in July/August previously but have never been in May, if we decide May it will be around the 20th for two weeks .Could anybody advise what the weather is like then, thanks in advance.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: weather in May
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:12:55 PM »
From previous experience May is not the best time to go.  It is warm but usually not warm enough to swim in the sea or the pools.

We visited on 21st May 2010 for one week and it was very rainy almost every day, torrential on some days.

Mid June is much better but there is still the possibility of thunder storms, usually in the night time.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:07:21 AM »
Thanks for the speedy reply waspman. My husband has set annual leave, this year being May and July, we fancied May because then we would not have too long to wait, we might have to consider somewhere else then if we cannot hang on until July, also it is more expensive in July. Thank you for your honesty.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:28:13 AM »
No problem!!

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »
We usually go out either the first or second week of opening in May, and apart from a couple of days have found no problems with weather. It is usually around low 20s and much easier to walk around without the blistering heat. 12 weeks to go!!!
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Kernock

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:54:48 PM »
It's a different kind of holiday.  We have been for the last 3 years and, yes, the weather can be variable but generally very pleasant.  It is nice to see the fields green and flowers in the hedgerows.  The village is just waking up and the people are raring to go.  If you are looking to do a bit of exploring this is just the time to do it.  A few days of car hire might help to see other areas.  See you there.  We are only there for a week this year between 17 and 23rd - horrible Easyjet flights from Bristol I am afraid but at £102 we cannot complain!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 03:55:59 PM »
My birthday falls in May and we live in the village, for the past 10 years we have always managed a rain free barbie in the garden with friends who visit at this time of year.  Sometimes its been very warm other times mild but always pleasant.  Yep you do get some cloudy and rainy days but it is a lovely time of year for walks with the land being green and plenty of flowers in bloom.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:39:03 PM »
Thanks to all for your helpful replies, just got to make the decision now.x :-\

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:18:50 PM »
Go on go for it!
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:37:15 PM »
Swedebasher, I am pretty sure that we will.x

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 12:49:37 AM »
We have done may a few times - late may usually, odd day or two of rain in the two weeks,
I found it OK in the sea, pools were a bit cold - but manageable, depends what you can take - or call cold.
Quieter - but we loved it.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:01:03 AM »
went last may never again freezing cold never stopped raining never chance may again.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
Change of plan now for us. At the moment we are doing the house up[complete new kitchen April] and basically going to do the whole house up by christmas[carpets, sofa's, decor, furniture, the lot] and we have already gone over budget for new kitchen[like you do] so we can only afford one holiday plus weekend away London March[already booked and paid for] and a long weekend wherever October.

The apartments we wanted to stay at in SS[end of May] with change of flight because we much prefer morning flight on way out and early afternoon on way back meant we would have to pay an extra £300 so would have brought cost up to £1400 for flights/accomodation so all things considered we decided to look for somewhere else with a better deal, hubby wanted a change from Corfu anyway but the money situation twisted my arm so we are now going to Thassos[end  of May] to skala Panagia.
We got a brilliant/excellent deal with Thomsons with early morning flight included in the price, it was just too good of an opportunity to miss so we have booked it and are looking forward to trying somewhere new although I will miss SS this year we will return next year when the DIY is all complete.

Thassos looks very nice and very green just like Corfu and the resort is a very quiet place with plenty of taverna's. Plenty of walks for us to try out. Also looking forward to ferry trip[hydrofoil] from mainland to Thassos.

So no SS for us this year but will return next year.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:07:03 AM by lilly »

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 02:16:05 AM »
Thassos is lovely, but weather very iffy outside of July and August.  Pretty much shuts up shop by beginning of September.  we say photos of deep snow - as they have bad winters.  my sister once went at the beginning of June and it rained for the whole week - but I hope you are lucky as the island is very Greek and friendly and the ferry over is just super.  Felt like Shirley Valentine! ;)

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
Hi Debra, Thassos does look very nice. Not too bothered by the weather, we are used to getting caught in storms/rain in Corfu. Obviously it would be much better if we get wall to wall sunshine but we are just looking forward to relaxing and good weather will be a bonus to us..
I suppose it could rain anywhere, when we went to SS in September 2008 we had alot of rain/thunderstorms and it was very cold on some days too, we had to go and buy a jacket each to try and keep warm.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:06:35 AM by lilly »

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni