Author Topic: Market in Corfu  (Read 12836 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Market in Corfu
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
I was asked about Markets in Corfu - any local have better info than my information below please?

The only Market I have ever seen is usually held in the road that runs from the harbour (coast) in the one-way system that leads to the new fort. The road runs under/alongside part of the old defences with a big fort wall on your left side as you drive towards to cricket pitch/new fort.
It is really only a farmers market, not tourist bric-a-brac and is usually on a weekend - (sat if I remember correctly) - although some of the greengrocers / fruit stalls are open every morning.
Any further advance on this from anyone????
Thanks
Tony

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

zoe

Re: Market in Corfu
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
been in to corfu town a few times and only saw the market by the fort as you have put and it was more  for locals not for holiday makers as in other  places

Offline lizzie

• SanStef Addict
  • hair by Patricia - San Stefanos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »

The market is open every day and it sells fresh veg., fruit & fish . Some stalls have curtains etc.

Turn right at the bus station car park it's on that road -well worth a visit and yes it's mostly locals but you know what they say --always go where the locals go.

LIZZIE

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:55:29 AM »
We did go a few years ago, but found it a total waste as we were on holiday, only really for domestic use, stuff you can buy in any pound shop at home,
some linen, not great, and fruit and veg! - Great if you are living there or on a long rent.
We have come across interesting markets around the world, unfortunately this was not one we'd rush back to, so we just stick to the shops there.
You can buy almost anything there in Corfu Town, if you ask around.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
When I lived in Corfu Town a visit to the local market was a must, all that wonderful fresh fruit and veg and herbs and then in April and May the wonderful Corfu strawberries.  Then just around the corner from the port the fish market, fabulous.  The new fish and fruit market is being built opposite the original market site at present hence the problems with parking in the town area, which are bad at the best of times.  So yes a bit too far to visit maybe if you are up in the North west corner but anyone staying close to the town, then the buzz and atmosphere make it well worth a visit. We grow our own veg now instead!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:08:02 AM »
If we lived there we would do the same, but it isn't much fun for tourists unless stocking up for a villa I suppose!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni