Author Topic: Rip off thomson 2011  (Read 16335 times)

Offline jade2001

• View Profile
Rip off thomson 2011
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:31:54 AM »
  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
on the last but one day of our 2010 hols in ss we went on line in tsaros bar to check on how many rooms were left for 2011, only to find one left, so myself,the wife and kids booked straight away so as not to miss out, only to find out last week on the thomson web site that there is still one left but is now nearly 500 pounds cheaper.  Unfortunately our circumstances have changed, works a bit tight and the wife going onto job share, so it looks like we may have to cancel the 2 week hols for the 5th aug 2011.  If we could have got the hols for the latter price we may have had a chance of still going.  So, if there is anyone out there, with any advice on what we could do with regards thomson or maybe selling the holiday on some how.  So fed up we might not be going, rob and family.

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Rip off thomson 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:13:06 AM »
How weird are Thomson?

A June package to Barras ex-Manchester for 2 adults, no meals, 20k luggage and transfer   = £1140

Booked as seperates with Thomson
Flight including 20k luggage, coach to San Stef, no meals = £538
14 nights accommodation only at Barras                        = £280    home made package      = £818

Just where does the extra come from?

Same dates, same flight, same apartment, same transfer !!!
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 01:27:22 AM »
We paid same date, approximately same time as Thomson but Easy Jet £240 return for 2 adults. An apartment incuding taxi transfer £380. Total £620, to us a bargain.
Both ways work but don't just take Thomson as a package deal.
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »
Oh,how I wish I hadn't read this thread!
Just checked the Thomas Cook website, and our two weeks in June
would be £170 cheaper! Still good value, though, in my opinion.
So it's not just Thomson.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
Jade, Rob

Lots of debate on this issue in other threads, but to answer your question I would seek advice from from local newspaper/radio consumer champions. In Scotland there is a newspaper column called The Judge which has a team that tackles these type of tour operator cases with varying degrees of success.

Hope this helps, as the '1 room left' approach definitely seems misleading. If it was me, that's the approach i would try.

Hope this helps and good luck.

don

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 12:45:34 AM »
We paid same date, approximately same time as Thomson but Easy Jet £240 return for 2 adults. An apartment incuding taxi transfer £380. Total £620, to us a bargain.
Both ways work but don't just take Thomson as a package deal.

This would actualy be £160 dearer if booked today.... Only like for like is a true comparison.... To compare a September booking on flight release date over against the January price is rather false and an unfair comparison.

Not much of a saving on Thomson's cheapest. There was though a huge gulf in September.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:47:06 AM by don »

YANNIS26

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 12:32:57 PM »
This would actualy be £160 dearer if booked today.... Only like for like is a true comparison.... To compare a September booking on flight release date over against the January price is rather false and an unfair comparison.

Not much of a saving on Thomson's cheapest. There was though a huge gulf in September.
Sorry Don I must disagree with you.
If you can't compare early booked Easy Jet flights with a Thomson price in the middle of their greatest sale ever,when can you compare.Another case of rip off Thomson.
Joking apart my argument still stands.Book at the right time at the right price from an airport that suits you.The company is irrelevant.It just happens I am lucky enough to book Easy Jet without too much inconvenience.
Yammas
Yannis

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »
To be fair to Don (did I actually say that???) with judicious choice of reductions and late bookings it's possible to more or less rip off Thomson.

Late September early October last year cost us £718 for 2 weeks at Little Prince flying from Doncaster. Taking into account additional fuel costs and probably an overnight hotel I doubt if we could have matched that with a DIY operation.

don

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:42:23 PM »
Sorry Don I must disagree with you.
If you can't compare early booked Easy Jet flights with a Thomson price in the middle of their greatest sale ever,when can you compare.Another case of rip off Thomson.
Joking apart my argument still stands.Book at the right time at the right price from an airport that suits you.The company is irrelevant.It just happens I am lucky enough to book Easy Jet without too much inconvenience.
Yammas
Yannis

Both companies quote early sale prices as the lowest they will be (true or false business claim is questionable.) That is a direct comparison.
Both companies then have winter sales. Again a direct comparison.
True comparisons because they reflect the prevailing conditions when made.
I have just been told when I can have leave in February. So it would be a fair comparison to look at the cost on offer in May 2010?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:45:13 PM by don »

YANNIS26

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
Both companies quote early sale prices as the lowest they will be (true or false business claim is questionable.) That is a direct comparison.
Both companies then have winter sales. Again a direct comparison.
True comparisons because they reflect the prevailing conditions when made.
I have just been told when I can have leave in February. So it would be a fair comparison to look at the cost on offer in May 2010?

I think you will find it impossible to get a truly fair comparison.Easy Jet flights are at their cheapest when they come out in September.Thomsons holidays are at their cheapest in the previous June/July when the brochures come out or as a late booking.The problem with a late booking is you are not guaranteed the dates or the hotel you want.It is only the price of direct booking accommodation that remains constant.
All I really know is even ignoring the taxi transfer that is included in my holiday costing.I would be hard pressed to get the Romanza for 2 weeks on the 17th June for 350 pounds/person with Thomson.Miracles do happen and if they do in this case I am sure someone will let me know.
Yammas
Yannis
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:10:49 PM by YANNIS26 »

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 04:21:08 AM »
on the last but one day of our 2010 hols in ss we went on line in tsaros bar to check on how many rooms were left for 2011, only to find one left, so myself,the wife and kids booked straight away so as not to miss out, only to find out last week on the thomson web site that there is still one left but is now nearly 500 pounds cheaper.  Unfortunately our circumstances have changed, works a bit tight and the wife going onto job share, so it looks like we may have to cancel the 2 week hols for the 5th aug 2011.  If we could have got the hols for the latter price we may have had a chance of still going.  So, if there is anyone out there, with any advice on what we could do with regards thomson or maybe selling the holiday on some how.  So fed up we might not be going, rob and family.
It's a Sales tactic to panic you to buy.
Phone them up if you really have to cancel and complain and ask for a discount, tell them that their pricing policy was unfair - cancel if you really have to,
but ask to speak to a manager from the start.
There are other lines of attack such as reporting them to Trading Standards etc, it just depends how far you are willing to go.
Also consumer programs etc. -
may assist with this one - it is unfair!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline skiingemu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 02:58:51 AM »
I too have looked today and found thomson quoting a price but when you go a step further to pay deposit you find they offer cheap deposit, full deposit or pay in full only time the holiday price is the price they quote is if you pay in full now not if you pay deposit an extra cost of approx 2% applies but you also have extra 2.5% on top of this if you pay by credit card so 4.5% extra to the price they quote as holiday price. Never had to pay extra for just paying a deposit now and balance 10-12 weeks before departure with thomsons.  Will look to see what situation is with  high street travel agent as against to booking on line with thomson. This is not highlighted on web site.

Janet

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 03:16:17 AM »
Having looked at Thomsons just they are now charging for room upgrade for self catering for Teresa on the dates we are going

14 nights, Self Catering
Manchester flights

Manchester flights
Fri 02 Sep 2011 15:20 20:45
Fri 16 Sep 2011 22:00 23:25  Total price £1,118.00
Price includes:
Flight + Hotel  £1,058.00
Room upgrade  £170.00
Sub-Total  £1,230.00
Web saving -£112.00
Deposit to pay today £75pp

Never noticed this before and it certainly wasn't there when we booked in September last year.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:19:30 AM by JULES T »
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 04:46:38 AM »
It's almost as if Ryanair now manage Thomsons!! LOL
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 12:02:53 AM »
I understand and appreciate the peace of mind booking with a firm like Thomsons can give you but we've been booking independently for 6 years now and can't get a single company to match the prices we get. There are 4 of us and I've booked with Easyjet for less than £500 for next July. Add on our 2 week stay and I'm getting a 2 week holiday for less than 1500 including transfer by taxi. Now that's value.  :D

How much we spend when there is another matter. ;) 
When God created Wales he was just showing off

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni