Author Topic: Teresa - new policy  (Read 43049 times)

Offline Mikeatew

• View Profile
Teresa - new policy
« on: December 16, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »

Regular visitors will have received Teresa'a e-mail advising their intention to 'go it alone' in 2012, ie ditch Thomson and let privately.  Rates quoted are e150 per person per week (studios) and e160 (b&b).  They cannot be blamed for seeking to maximise returns on their business but will seriously effect those who cannot find an acceptably-priced flight only.

Furthermore, if it works for them, how many others will follow?  What do you think?

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Teresa - new policy
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:05:39 PM »
With the popularity of San Stefanos I will be surprised if others don't follow suit. The Romanza Hotel increased it's private rooms from one to five this year, and I know that several forum members have booked privately next year, including me.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:56:41 PM »
Hi all on the forum, you will see that my website (www.corfuselections.com) was set up for this purpose, as many owners approached me about promoting their apartments, some have their own emails, some not - so I launched Corfu Selections for the owners.  They can either answer their own emails, direct their email to me and I then call them (the owners and give them the customers requests),  have a page on my site or if they have their own site they can link theirs into mine.  Some owners who are on my website still have contracts with the tour operators but only on allotment or not all their rooms, this also gives the opportunity for other nationailities to explore and stay in San Stefanos as the owners can now be found on the net. It also means guests whom which to plan short stays, twin centres etc can book.  We have had contacts from all over the world and customers arriving as well by car, or via Athens as well as directly from UK. I wish Teresa's well in their new venture. :)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 02:57:59 AM »
In the current economic climate it's got to be the way to go,
Thomson's prices have soared this year for 2011, but only Thomson reaps the rewards - nice to see the middle-man cut out when you can!
Up to now it's difficult to book some accommodation when controlled by the big company, as you have little choice - so I'll be watching how it goes!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 09:56:59 PM »
Remember that companies exist to make a profit, not for any other reason. Thomson prices have risen, so have costs. Teresa's is a business, and clearly the owners consider that the business will benefit from 'going independent'. What this means is that they consider they will make more money doing this. Will they succeed? Only Mystic Meg and perhaps Don can answer this.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 04:18:01 AM »
I have no problem with anyone making a profit - good luck to all who do - but there is a difference between a profit and a licence to print money!
Thomson's (TUi) are making obscene profits & considering our economic state, could offer better deals to the owners and us the customer.
Mystic Meg and Diagnostic Don are sure to know this!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Denise

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
We're off to Teresa's in August with Thomson for the 1st time. We don't usually do our own thing for hols cos we're always worried that if the airline crashes or similar that we'll be left without any comeback.
It'll be a shame if we really like it there that we would have to risk doing it ourselves next year.
San Stefanos looks likes the place that would be perfect for us and I love the view from Teresa's.
Can we take out special insurances if we do it ourselves? I'm sure we probably can but we've just never had to do it yet.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:13:27 PM »
We're off to Teresa's in August with Thomson for the 1st time. We don't usually do our own thing for hols cos we're always worried that if the airline crashes or similar that we'll be left without any comeback.
It'll be a shame if we really like it there that we would have to risk doing it ourselves next year.
San Stefanos looks likes the place that would be perfect for us and I love the view from Teresa's.
Can we take out special insurances if we do it ourselves? I'm sure we probably can but we've just never had to do it yet.

I can safely say that there will be no comeback at all if the airline crashes!!!  ;)

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 12:48:43 AM »

I can safely say that there will be no comeback at all if the airline crashes!!!  ;)
LOL ::)
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
http://www.tuitravelplc.com/tui/pages/investors/results

I was interested to read the figures behind TUI's 2010 profits - click on the attachment in the website.

TUI's profit margin is in the 2.5% - 4% range with c£400m made from a turnover of c£13bn. I was stunned to read that cost of sales was £12bn for which a breakdown is not provided, but presumably it covers accomodations bookings, fuel, staff costs, shop/call centre costs, bus hire etc. Info is provided on aircraft leasing etc which in the context of these figures is small beer.

Basically it is a bulk volume (20m customers who pay c£675 each), low margin operator and it really doesn't look as if it can possibly hand back much to the holiday maker. So if its screwed by fuel, VAT etc like the rest of us, and the industry watchdogs ensure that directors remunueration is in keeping with the industry then that does not leave many others who can benefit from the gravy train. Accommodation owners, commission paid to other intermediaries for sales leads are two that spring to mind.

Cost of sales is a whopper though. Basiclally sell something for £1 and only make 3p profit - yikes. Won't take much for this one to lose money given fuel is only going in one direction.

When you balance the scales with the independent booker who does get cheaper accomodation and marginally cheaper flights (in the main depending on where you travel from) then there is really isn't much in it. I wonder who is really skimming the cream - probably governments with a little bit to the hotel owners and the tour operators.

Gosh, a really serious post, apologies but hope it highlights some noteworthy facts ;)

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
Good info Loftyscot. I am sure that if you factor in ALL the costs - cost of time spent organising/booking - cost of travel to/from resort - cost of 'like for like' cover included with package there is little difference. What is interesting is the apparent difference in the price per room the owner gets from the independent booker Vs the price paid by package company? Is there NO advantage to the owner by using Thomson/Thomas Cook et al? Of course there is, or none would do it!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:20:10 PM »
Sorry to disagree with you (Rover & Loftyscot) but there is a huge difference
between booking privately and booking with Thomson, dependant, of course on where you fly from.

Below is a “like for like” comparison, all aspects of the holidays described are identical.

My wife and I have booked to stay in San Stefanos mid year 2011 for three consecutive weeks, one week at a very popular hotel (on half board) followed by two weeks at another very popular hotel (on bed & breakfast basis).

This has been booked privately with the owners of the two hotels. The total cost allowing for £100 taxi fares to and from San Stefanos and flights with EasyJet (£336.97 for two people including “speedy boarding) was £1129.87 total.

Today, online with Thomson, the cost of the first hotel (one week half board) was £1168 (for two people).
The cost of the second hotel (two weeks bed & breakfast) was £1404.
Total cost of £2572.00 (and that doesn't include taxi transfers, only the usual 3-4 hour coach transfers)

The Thomson holidays were for the same dates as my private bookings and the flight times (day flights) were identical.

Ok, I know that the above Thomson prices include two sets of flights, so one set of flights could be deducted from the total Thomson costs.

In conclusion, I have privately booked three weeks (1 week half board and two weeks bed and breakfast), including taxi transfers, in San Stefanos for £1129.87.  In addition, I don't have to pay the hotel costs until I arrive in San Stefanos.   Had I booked with Thomson we couldn’t have stayed for one week in either hotel for that cost.

As has been suggested, Companies must make profits but as Tony says not the obscene profits we are now seeing!!

It appears to me that it is Thomson that is “skimming the cream” and not the Government.

Make up your own minds!!!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:22:17 PM by Waspman »

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 11:03:03 PM »
Wow Waspman, I have no doubt that what you have is correct, but:
1.Your comparison is a little unfair, three weeks at two different hotels is not what Thomson is normally about, and you have not taken into account the flight reduction. Clearly if you had five weeks at different hotels you could demonstrate that Thomson is not the vehicle for you. It's  a question of horses for courses
2.You say that you could not do two weeks at either hotel for the price you are paying - but I suspect the difference is not too great? I am paying a tad more, mid year, popular hotel with breakfast, 20Kg baggage, daytime flights, coach transfers, ABTA protection etc. etc.
Conclusion. You are absolutely correct to 'do it your way.' Enjoy your holiday!

Offline johny rebel

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 12:10:35 AM »
Booked with thomson 6 months ago for 2 weeks mid may at teresa and 2 weeks mid september at teresa self catering prise 650 and 670 pounds for 2 people brilliant prise 100 pound cheaper than 2010 cant fault thomson

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 12:30:31 AM »
OK Rover, let's make the comparison absolutely and totally fair.

The two weeks I referred to at one hotel on a bed and breakfast basis, booked privately was:
Hotel ---------= £335.00
EasyJet flights = £336.00 (includes "speeding boarding", equal to Thomson pre-booked seats and 20kg of luggage standard,
Taxi transfers--  = £100.00
Total cost ----- £771.00

By comparison the same two weeks at the same hotel (referred to above) with Thomson is:
Hotel plus flights ----------------------- = £1534.00 (includes 15Kg of luggage only)
Extra 5kg of luggage (£15 per person) --- = £30.00
Pre-booked seats (2 x £15.00) ---------- = £30.00-  
Taxi transfers -------------------------- = £207.00
Total cost -------------------------- = £1801.00

So, by booking privately I could have 2 x two week holidays throughout next summer for less than the 1 x two weeks with Thomson, and I'd have £259.00 spending money to spare, lots of Mythos!!!

Which horse for which course would you choose?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni