Author Topic: 1st time to San Stef - Review of our 14 nights at the Romanza  (Read 21651 times)

don

Re: 1st time to San Stef - Review of our 14 nights at the Romanza
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
Debra........... Did they have the BBQ and the Greek dancing at Perros while you were there. Now that was a night that was like being at a family party.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 11:57:13 PM »
I bet that local Greek guy who was at the Romanza was at the Perros Greek night. He seems to go to them all, small guy, going bald with a bit of a sweep over hair style! Think he's something to do with the study of Greek music.....always stands up and conducts!! Someone must know who I mean. If anyone sees the posters around the village for the Manthos Greek night, he's sat at the front!!
I do wonder what he thought at the last Romanza greek night when we were all stood on chairs, singing from hymn books (well the menus!) and belting out just one Cornetto!!

Debra

Kefalonia was expensive, I guess it's still Captain Correli Mandolin effect!! Although in San Stef we had usually had 2 starters, 2 mains and a litre of wine for our meal and it was circa 28 - 32 euros.....I recall it being around the same in Kefalonia although there wasn't as many Tavernas doing the 8/9 euro specials that EVERY Taverna did in San Stef!
I did think Skala reminded me of San Stef in the respect that there's a few Tavernas along the beach and the rest set back from the road along a couple of streets/roads. Similar size/number of Tavernas too.
I agree Corfu is more green and lush but I guess the downside is the weather! We went to Skala 2 years ago a week later than we went to San Stef this year. The weather was 40c every day and we didn't see a cloud!! It was heaven!
We did the island tour whilst there and like you, found Assos to be gorgeous. Fiskardo was also very cosmipolitan and Sami was amazing! We only went through Lassi to visit Argostoli and it looked a bit more 'British' than Skala, pubs etc.
The island of Ithica was also gorgeous, this is where Homer was meant to have wrote the 'Odyssey'......watch out for a sequel from Jimbo soon!! I also liked the WW2 history still scattered round the islands

My wife wants to return to the Nine Muses in Skala but I want to have another couple of weeks at the Romanza!! I guess I love them both!!!

don

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 12:16:31 AM »
GavIlah................... Sounds like a heartburn relief capsule !

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 02:02:14 AM »
Hey Gavilah,

WOW yes forgot about Ithaca - was fab!  When we were in Lassi an eating out there and Argostoli, for two starters, two mains, bottle of wine, we were spending between 50 and 65 euros!  Have anted to try the Nine Muses - have had my eye on there for years, is it on par wth SS Delfino Blu?

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 02:06:21 AM »
Don

No - no bbq night - Stephanos said he had not had enough interest - such a shame!  He had lots of different nationalities staying there this year - we were there middle 2 weeks of August - he had Italians, Romanians, Ukranians and quite a few Greeks and they didn't seem bothered about entertainment at the hotel.  Such a lovely family.

Gavilah

I think you are right - the weather does make a difference - we have been to SS four times now - always in Summer school holidays and we have not had a moment of bad weather and am sure that colours your holiday.  Even Skegness may look fab in the sunshine - what?...................yes, well, maybe not.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 02:16:37 AM »
Debra, we were there same time  has Gavlah and the weather was brilliant apart from one day when it was blowing a gale, did'nt stop us getting out and about though, in fact it was a relief not to feel so hot. No rain apart from when we were boarding the plane home two weeks later.
Shame we had to come home. :'( :'( :'(
We visited all the places that you previously mentioned and walked to Agios Georgios North, glad we made the effort because the views were spectacular plus we got to see different villages and enjoy nice lunches at some lovely taverna's which we would have otherwise have missed.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:21:48 AM by lilly »

Gavlah1973

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »
Lilly's right......we only really lost one sunbathing day to the wind however we couldn't spend around 2 and a half days around the Romanza as it was twice as windy up there as it was down in the village!! on the second day 2 full loungers and a couple of wicker chairs actually blew into the pool!! Leo also had to put extra water in the pool as a lot of it had blown out!! We had a lovely cooling breeze for the whole 2 weeks up there which was nice except for a couple of days when you got out of the pool and actually felt cold!

The Nine Muses is deffo on a par with Delfino. It's managed by a local girl who was schooled in New York! So you get American effiency with the normal Greek hospitality. The restaurant is actually run by seperate people who sub let it (or it was). They've built a very swish cocktail bar in there since we went. It has 2 pools, the main pool and a very quiet top pool. Both have their own bar and serve food.

Check out the T/A reviews they dont lie!! The only downside is the price......2 weeks at the Romanza cost us £1200 and the same 2 weeks at the Nine Muses would have been £1800!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni