Author Topic: 1st time to San Stef - Review of our 14 nights at the Romanza  (Read 21668 times)

Gavlah1973

1st time to San Stef - Review of our 14 nights at the Romanza
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
Right here we go. Going to try and tell everything, most good but a couple of let downs!! The best place we have so far holidayed in Greece is Skala in Kefalonia.......how would San Stef measure up..........

Arrived bang on time in Corfu following a great flight. Lilly and her hubby John were sat in front of us on the plane!!
We were met straight away by our taxi driver booked through Noula at San Stef travel and we were arriving at the Romanza just over an hour later........great service Noula!!

The minute the bus pulled into the Romanza we were met by Alex from reception who came running out to greet us and show us to our room, Number 27. There was none of the usual leaving your passport behind reception etc! I immediatley enquired about the air con and Alex suggested that we just sleep with the balcony door open but the mozzie screen closed and see how we got on! This saved us circa 70 euro's in air con charges!!
First impressions of the room were good, it was quite small and typically greek but also very clean and tidy. The  bathroom is small and we had the usual small shower tray with a curtain. I believe the hotel are in the process of installing proper shower screens.

The public areas were nice.....reception and a bar upstairs and the pool bar and restaurant downstairs. The pool is L shaped and has a very deep end and a seperate kiddies section. The hotel is a real family affair Eleni & old Costas are the main figureheads. Reception is manned by Alex and her sister Katy, is the excellent cook in the main restaurant. The upstairs bar is run by Marina from 4pm onwards while Andreas and Dimitris are the two bar people and waiters downstairs. Young Costas also helps out with serving the breakfasts. Leo is Katy's hubby and is always around in the background. All of the family were really nice, warm outgoing people.

Breakfast consists of a continental style offer with toast, and either cheese and ham or scrambled eggs. You also get a pastry, glass of orange and you can help yourself to unlimited tea/coffee. When you consider that all Thomsons pay the hotel is 8 euros per person per night then you cant really expect anymore.
The Romanza also offer excellent evening meals.....we found Katys cooking to be up there with the best  in the resort. Her Kokkinisto is amazing!!

I'm now going to try and demonstrate the amazing warmth of these people. It was our 2nd anniversary whilst we were there. I'd arranged for champagne next to the pool for Pam and I as a surprise. She was amazed when Andreas came over with it!! I also arranged flowers to be delivered to the room. I thought of a reason for Pam to visit the room. She came back down in tears to be greeted by Eleni who gave her a big cuddle.......not only were there flowers but they'd put up balloons, left a card and also a bracelet as a present for Pam......amazing and thanks to you all!!
We ate at the hotel that night and had a lovely table saved for us by Andreas/Dimitris where we could watch the lovely sunset. We'd just finished our meal when all the lights went out and I thought we'd had a power cut.......all of a sudden Katy appeared with a big cake complete with sparklers/candles etc and also Andreas with another bottle of champagne!! Thanks again!

We were also lucky to have quite a few lively fellow guests there during our stay. Some were on their 3rd/4th visits whilst others were on their 11th! I'm quite outgoing so I managed to blend in quite well and felt that we were in 'the gang'. If you are quieter and dont want to mix then you could feel a bit overawed by it all. I did overhear a couple of other guests saying that they didn't feel they could sunbathe round the pool as it was a bit cliquey and too noisy. We had some great late nights and I'll never forget the 2 Greek nights as long as I live. Lots of dancing, singing and eating raw chillies!! All made better by the presence of even more locals! Thanks to Andy & Princess, Geoff and his gang, Danny & Sharon, Silvia & Bri, Chris & Shaun, Kev & Debbie, Michelle & Steve......great company!!

Right now then onto the resort itself. The Romanza is right at the top of a very steep hill. Some days we seemed to breeze up the hill no probs but other days it was a real drag and a pain!! I would suggest that it would be a bit too much for anyone with young children or those over 65 if you're not the fittest or have bad joints etc.
Our impression of the resort itself were that it's not the prettiest! Yes it probably benefits from some of the best sunsets around but I didnt really get any wow factor from walking around the village.
We ate a lot at the Romanza but also ate at the following.....

Zorbas x 2 - Prob our favourite, nice food and great dancing
Mythica - Just found it ok. The steak was ok, service was ok but hardly anyone spoke!!
Town Pizza - Nice spicy Pizza. We were however, the only people in there when we ate at 2045 one night!
Little Prince - Good dancing but I thought the food was just ok. Nice starter but my main was just passable
Ozzy Oils - Very nice. We went to BBQ night and it was a very nice atmosphere
Yannis - Nice Stamna! It was very windy when we went so everyone was holding onto their napkins!!

To be brutally honest we found the food in Kefalonia a lot better. Only the cooking at the Romanza compared. Cant say we really had a bad meal but it just wasn't generally as good. A lot of the places were very quiet when we ate despite it being anytime between 2030 and 2115. Mythica was dead the night we ate as was Town pizza. Zorbas was busy on our first visit but half empty on our second. I was shocked by how quiet the village could be at what should be busy times of night. This may be down to the credit crunch/economy etc.
We found the prices ok, on average we'd be paying around 30 euros for our evening meal. Usually 2 starters, 2 mains and a litre of wine.

We didn't really visit many bars as we preferred to end the night at the Romanza. We were warmly welcomed by Glen in Aquarios on the two occasions we went in. We also had a couple of drinks in the Thomas Bay and found the waiters very funny and friendly.
If I'm being honest I hated the Condor and that was from just walking past. Thought it was dark/dingy and the acts we heard looked tacky (the Michael Jackson was terrible!) Same with the Silver Star....it's been done to death but not for us!!
Bar 38 was lovely, very classy bar but again, very very quiet around 11pm on the night we were in.
There were strong winds on a couple of days and we decided to hire a quad from Pegasus that was great fun. We went up to Akrotiri one night and I've got some amazing sunset photos! Very nice bar although again, very quiet!

We spent a day on the beach which was nice and I'm aware the beach has shrunk but it wasn't half as bad as I expected from reading the threads on here. Plenty of room and again.....never really busy.

We booked the moonlight Corfu Town trip via Noula and it was ok. A long day which started in the heat around 3pm. We had to go on a bus to Sidari, Roda, Achravi etc before we left from Kassiopi on the boat. We then had the same bus journey coming back. Loved Corfu Town but we probably wouldn't do that trip again.

To summarise......

We had a great holiday, although we are both still very tired due to many late nights which we didn't expect. We would score the hotel 10/10 and the resort around 7/10. It was very similar to Skala in the respect of number of bars, size and layout although Skala did seem to have a better vibe and didn't have any bars like Condor/Silver Star.
Would we return.....yes! We'll probably return next year and then give it a rest for a couple of years. I dont want to get stuck into going to the same places year in year out when there's so many nice places in Greece alone to visit.
I would reccommend to all you regulars to check out Skala in Kefalonia if you've not been. I know you wont initially get your friendly, great to see you again, welcome but the two resorts are very similar.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:12:52 PM by Gavlah1973 »

YANNIS26

Re: 1st time to San Stef - Review of our 14 nights at the Romanza
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:55:14 PM »
Hi Gav
Thanks for a first class honest report.I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Romanza.I think your visit goes to prove once and for all ,a belief I have always held and been known to state on the odd occa'sion .
That is that the wonderful welcome given by all members of the Romanza is the same for everyone be it a first timer like yourself or a 10 year vetern like me.The only criteria required is your wish to be part of this great family atmosphere.I fully understand your comments how a shy retiring person may be overawed by it all and feel left out.
Yammas
Yannis

don

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:00:18 PM »
We stayed in Skala a few years ago. Think the operators were Golden Sun. Anyway they went bump 2 days after we got home.
The abiding memory is arriving in Skala at around 23:30 dumping luggage and praying we could find something to eat. We found a taverna on a street corner, on the left of the main street as you walk up from the beach. Can't recall much about the inside but the tables were laid out in an L shaped garden around the taverna. By the time we got there it must have been around mudnight. The chef was ready to leave but got kitted back up and cooked us a superb meal. Just the same welcome as San Stef. We were to them the most important people in the resort. One day we will go back.
The beach was rather more Arilas LOL

Gavlah1973

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:55:49 PM »
Yannis

Correct! You didn't even really have to try that hard to fit in either. Make sure you say hello, use a couple of Greek words here and there and crack the odd joke! That's all it takes. By then end of the hol I had Katys dad hunting me out to eat raw chillies after my 'first performance' at Greek night!!
I'm going to take my full array of practical jokes with me next year to ensure maximum fun and chaos!

Don

I could be waxing lyrical about Skala but for all I know it could have changed due to the economy. We were there 2 years ago just as everything started to go belly up. It would have been nice to be able to compare San Stef in the busier times to Skala as I feel there was a definate atmosphere lacking in San Stef down to general lack of people.
I would deffo encourage those who are lucky enough to have two summer hols a year to try Skala as the two resorts are very very similar. The only difference I can think of is that there was no real live music ala Condor or Jerry James in Skala. The only thing that came near were two livelier cocktail bars and a bar called Nero that would have MTV etc on multi TV screens around the bar. They did have one nightclub but I never saw it open.

You're right about the beach though......full of pebbles, sea quite rough and it shelves steeply. It was still busy though with hotels serving meals and drinks direct to the loungers. Also lots of great walks up to the old villages in the hills that were abandoned due to the '53 earthquake

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 08:58:39 PM »
Gavlah1973

Did The Romanza serve you Kumquat jam for breakfast?

Gavlah1973

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »
Nope they didn't

I was most annoyed and upset by it. I did complain to old Costas who just saluted, shook his fist, waved his hat and me and offered me some strange fruit from a cardboard box!

I took this to mean that if I returned next time then I'd be receiving the jam.

Yours

Disgusted of Leeds

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »
Gavlah - Can you report back in 2011 on the status of the KJ/KM? I  know that Barras, Little Prince and others are very disturbed by the thought that their breakfasts may be lacking that special ingredient that makes for wild pool-side partying at Romanza.

YANNIS26

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:38:58 PM »
Nope they didn't

I was most annoyed and upset by it. I did complain to old Costas who just saluted, shook his fist, waved his hat and me and offered me some strange fruit from a cardboard box!

I took this to mean that if I returned next time then I'd be receiving the jam.

Yours

Disgusted of Leeds
Hi Gav
The strange fruit in the cardboard box were kumquats.Until you get your feet really under the table you have to make your own jam.
Yammas
Yannis
PS. To avoid any misunderstanding please note this is not a serious posting.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »
Looked a bit dodgy to me those Kumquats!

I did get given the Kokinistto recipe from Katy however so if anyone wants it then let me know!

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:29:46 PM »
Hi Gav, brilliant review littered  with information which will be most useful for those planning their first trip to SS. I'm sure regulars will reflect upon your impressions and find your updates equally helpful. You will recall we overlapped by one week and I agree with the majority of your views and thoughts re the resort and likewise I rate the Romanza as the jewel  in the crown so to speak. Re your interesting thoughts re visiting again.We found ourselves restricted to one week this year, a crucial therapeutic window to recharge the batteries,we decided to play safe as we knew we could fit into the Romanza and be as energetic or quiet as the mood took us.As ever it worked a treat and we spent the majority of the time wandering to and from the beach, in the background but still part of the Romanza warmth.We will no doubt return again as its nice to feel you have a safe haven when you need it.I wonder if its the warmth of the welcomes and,to a degree, the predictability of SS that creates so many repeat visitors.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:05:34 AM »
Gav

I also got the kokkinisto recipe from Katie and have cooked it at home, it's delicious, the best in SS.

Offline peter

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »
We stayed in Skala a few years ago. Think the operators were Golden Sun. Anyway they went bump 2 days after we got home.
The abiding memory is arriving in Skala at around 23:30 dumping luggage and praying we could find something to eat. We found a taverna on a street corner, on the left of the main street as you walk up from the beach. Can't recall much about the inside but the tables were laid out in an L shaped garden around the taverna. By the time we got there it must have been around mudnight. The chef was ready to leave but got kitted back up and cooked us a superb meal. Just the same welcome as San Stef. We were to them the most important people in the resort. One day we will go back.
The beach was rather more Arilas LOL
mudnight don lol

don

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 11:19:21 PM »
mudnight don lol
Cheers Peter.... Will buy you one at Xmas if we can make it to 'Reef.

Notice it took a Scot to notice the Buchan pronunciation!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 10:21:38 PM »
Thanks Gavilah - a good review.  We went to Kefalonia last year for a family wedding which was in Lassi. We found the island expensive.  Went over to Skala for the day and didn't see much resemblance to SS, actually.  Loved Assos - very beautiful, liked Aghia Efimia but missed the beach, liked Argostoli but my heart belongs to North West Corfu - compared to Kefalonia, it's lush, greener and just breathtakingly beautiful.  Think Afionas..........the view over St Georgious North - think Peroulades...the view from Panorama restaurant over (not sure of name) Log..soemthing beach. Think of the views going down to Paleo (bit commercial though).....and the little villages.........and Ericousa...................Nah - liked Kefalonia, but adore Corfu!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »
But after saying that - I do understand about San Stefanos village.  Condor - definitely a No, really did not like Bar 38 and Silver Star putting on English singers.  The village has changed over the last 8 years - then you walked around to ONLY the sound of Greek music and dancing. There was a good night this August when it was Greek night at the Silver Star and they had a very good Greek band playing and it was filled with Greek families impromptu dancing - I really hope they go back to this - am sure the Brits want that and not a home from home playing 60's nights!!!!!!!!! No disrepect to the singers who have good voices. Prefer the old part of the village but we stayed at the Perros and it was very quiet up there apart from the laughter from the Paradise Bar.  Perros was a super place to stay though.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni