Author Topic: Restrictions on packing food items  (Read 6220 times)

Offline pembo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Restrictions on packing food items
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:19:22 PM »
I have been asked a question from someone who is travelling to Corfu on self catering holiday. Are there restrictions on what food items they can pack in their suitcase, eg Cooked meat, Bacon, Cheese etc. We don't bother doing this so I am not sure what answer to give them other than contacting the airline they are travelling with.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:46:27 PM by pembo »

zoe

Re: Restrictions on packing food items
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:35:25 PM »
no cooked meats or bacon but not sure about dairy products

Offline biglillypicker

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:10:43 PM »
what about those little UHT milk pots cos im taking some as no fridge in room. BLP
carefree where ever we may be

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »
Hi

I always take some of the UHT milk as I'm always in need of a coffee as soon as I get to my apartment! Never had a problem. However, I put them in a small plastic box - just in case they burst!

I know of people who take (especially to Turkey), bacon, sausages etc. as pork is sometimes difficult to get and quite a few people also take cheese, jam etc. Not sure if they are supposed to though.

I usually only take coffee, tea bags and sugar sachets plus enough milk for the first cuppa!!

Gill

zoe

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:39:18 AM »
once sat with a couple at bristol airport who had a lb of best ham and a 2lb block of cheese they were told they they could not take it so she sat and ate the ham  i think its all to do with foot and mouth

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:58:21 AM »
Sounds like she put her foot in it and then had to fill her mouth!
That's going a it too far!! LOL
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 01:22:34 AM »
For travel inside the EU when there are no specific restrictions in place it's not illegal, but airlines may impose their own restrictions.

I do get an amusing view of loads of Brits at Luton Airport with cold-bags full of sausages and Aunt Bessie's Yorkshire Puddings. Bit sad.

We always take loads of tea-bags - but the tea at the Little Prince breakfast is full of rich flavour and tastes like tea, not the pathetic herbal-like stuff you usually get!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:57:44 PM »
I must check now you've said it, but last year, I'm sure the L/Prince used the same T-bags as the rest,
must check the make as well, the Condor Breakfast tea, was nice and strong as it came in a Tea-pot.
Mind you Linda hates the milk they serve with it - she prefers fresh milk!
I don't really remember any herbal tasting tea, but that was last year - I'll have to check them out now - just out of interest! - you've got me curious now!
We quite like Yorkshire Tea - and buy that mainly at home.

The best ones my wife saw were at Heathrow, (she works there mainly, also many other Airports at different times),
and Air Nigeria people were having "Bush" meat confiscated, and boy did it smell!
Unbelievable what people travel with!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni