Author Topic: Prices in San Steffanos  (Read 24722 times)

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Prices in San Steffanos
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 01:23:23 AM »
Much as I hate to agree with tony... I agree with Tony....

(Can't believe I said that)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 01:27:02 AM »
Say what, exactly?

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 01:33:38 AM »
Jimbo being a smoker myself, there is a new campaign to reduce some prices (according to local TV) on some brands.  At moment you can buy 28 in 1 packet PallMall Blue for 3.50 euros......Marlborough though are 20 for 3.80 euros, still cheaper than UK I believe?  VAT is till 23% so hopefully prices will stay as is for a while in Greece. Smoking ban is meant to be happening again with more gusto but so far seen very little (if none) evidence of this ???

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 02:03:16 AM »
Thanks, Lesley. Effectively at least (most?) half-price compared to the UK.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 02:43:20 AM »
Stressed - Tony will be delighted to have somebody agree with him at last, but what was the point you were agreeing to?

* Fact: the no-smoking ban is a major factor in pub closures. Check the statistics.
* Fact: tobacco revenues from VAT and duty are currently £10.5 billion per annum. That equates to approximately 10% of the NHS budget.
* Fact: the cost of obesity to the NHS is over £45 billion per annum. That's about 45% of the budget.
* Fact: the purchase of tobacco is legal in the UK.

Conclusion 1: in a society which claims to be "free" and support individual "freedom" it is anomalous to ban something in one context which is illegal in another.
Conclusion 2: pubs should only be allowed to serve light salads, and these should be consumed outside

It's impossible to defend smoking or alcohol or many of our pleasure drugs as such, but it is possible to defend our freedom to do what is legal. I fear for our future when what is deemed bad by centralised committees rules every aspect of life. This decade smokers - next decade eaters. 

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 08:47:04 PM »
Ahhh! but who say's they are facts Jim?
Think about it!
Pubs were being closed everywhere - - -  long, long, long - - -  before the Smoking Ban arrived in Pubs, as well you know - * Fact!.
Society changed (for the better), when the Alcohol Limit arrived and we could not drive home drunk!- and with little public Transport at that time of night.
Pubs went out of vogue for many people, when you realise you don't actually miss most of them.
The price is also a huge factor - (not to just the customers), greedy breweries with tied pubs are a big factor as well, Landlords could not earn a living and gave the Pubs back!
People went on Holiday and loved the different type of Bars there - but back home a lot of pubs are C**p, it's warm beer, and too many spit & sawdust rough pubs.
Apart from a small section of die-hard pub lovers, people go to the big four Supermarkets, or day-trips to France, and drink at home as well, I know - we do!

* Fact = Black is White said Mandleson, who changes the truth at will!
Facts are manipulated by people - i.e.
The Labour Party influenced these so called facts - that's the lot who ''spin'' everything ever spoken,
* fact - - believe any politician and you are in deep trouble! LOL
However Jim - you seem to be at it as well,
where is the *Fact - - - - that smokers cost an even bigger percentage of the NHS Budget?
- so why did you miss that one off? what is the true cost of that?
I notice you quoted obesity because you noticed I carry a beer-belly - - - very subtle!! LOL
Heart surgeons don't want to do Heart op's when you smoke!
I have become quite an expert on the Heart Problems over the years,
problems associated directly with smoking (* proven Fact), as my wife had a Heart Attack at age 42, because of smoking.
as "Quoted" from the very respected Mr. Charles Isley, now head of the Famous Harefield Hospital, also now a family friend and originally my wife's consultant.

Over to you!
Meanwhile - I'm off on my train - - Puff -Puff -Puff -Puff -Puff!!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 10:00:02 PM »
Fair enough, but...

Latest NHS costs:

* smoking £1.4 billion
* obesity £4.8 billion

Offline sharris

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 10:42:15 PM »
boys, boys , boys !!!!!!

blimey, i only asked the new prices and war has broken out..........LOL

each to their own opinion i say !!!!!

***scurries off to hide after starting a forum war ********

ha ha ha ha

YANNIS26

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 11:16:18 PM »
Fair enough, but...

Latest NHS costs:

* smoking £1.4 billion
* obesity £4.8 billion
Hi Jimbo
We all know statistics can be manipulated to make a point.
I have just looked into the smoking costs to the NHS and have come up with the following.
Smoking cost 1.4 to 1.7 billion. at the last full audit in 1991.
A partial audit in 2005-2006 came up with a figure of 5 billion by adding up the costs of all the smoking related illnesses.This does not include illness caused by passive smoking.
27% of male deaths are smoking related.
I do not think it is correct to compare smoking with obesity.I have no problem sitting in a pub next to someone eating a burger.This unlike being sat next to a smoker will not affect my health.
I defend everyones god given right to commit suicide by smoking but I draw the line at taking me with them.That is why I welcome the ban on smoking in public places.
As for putting pub closures down to the smoking I do not agree.I put it down to the ever increasing cost of a pint plus the ever decreasing standards of a large number of the customers. Whose behaviour and language make it somewhere I would not wish to take my wife.The worrying thing about this behaviour,it is now treated as the norm.
Yammas
Yannis
Ps Sharris posted while I was writing this .Dont worry Sharris this is a debate not a war .Trust me I am an expert on forum wars.The one thing you are correct about it should be taking place in the Yammas bar, as it is no longer San Stefanos related and has moved a long way from the original thread.As this is the case I will make this my one and only posting on the subject.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:34:18 PM by YANNIS26 »

don

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 11:45:22 PM »
I used to smoke and share my noxious fumes with all and sundry. Strangely I never smoked in restaurants but I do find secondary smoking very off putting.
This debate  reminds me of a court case not too long after the smoking ban became law. A lady while out on the town had to walk through a dozen or so smokers in the doorway to one establishment. After breathing in their fumes she decided it would only be fair to share her favourite drink with them. She share 2 pints of beer with them and was heavily fined for assault with quite large costs due to dry cleaning bills. Why didn't she prosecute for the cost of her dry cleaning bills to get rid of the kipper type odour?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 01:26:29 AM »
Yannis is right. This is not the place.

The original question was about prices. The debate was NOT started by the smokers. The statistics for secondary smoking are utter evidential rubbish!

Personally, I am if not offended by gross people eating four times as much as me, but I am somewhat disgusted.

Enough.

YANNIS26

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 01:38:40 AM »
Yannis is right. This is not the place.

The original question was about prices. The debate was NOT started by the smokers. The statistics for secondary smoking are utter evidential rubbish!

Personally, I am if not offended by gross people eating four times as much as me, but I am somewhat disgusted.

Enough.
Thanks Jimbo
Yammas
Yannis

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »
And thanks from me as well - it was fun but as you rightly say - the wrong place - Yammas to all!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni