Author Topic: Our holiday in San Stefano  (Read 6084 times)

Offline andyb

• View Profile
Our holiday in San Stefano
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:45:28 AM »
Barras was our home for the week and we were really impressed with it.

On arrival though, shock/horror! We were not on the list for a room so Dimitris had to make some phone calls and got us sorted, phew!

We ate at the Barras most evenings and were well looked after by George, Dimitris, Spiros and Vassilli, the bar and restaurant area are very nice.

We went to Zorbas and the food was ok and the price was good, we got there too late to see the dancing though.

Went to Manthos Greek night on Saturday night and although we had a good time we found the food from the BBQ was nicely cooked but a bit bland, the Greek dancers were good but the introduction and commentary was pre recorded and a bit unprofessional, considering they do it every week you thought they would have had it down to a T! The view over the bay is stunning(took a few of shots of the sunset too)

Went to the Condor to see  Amy Housewine and that was quite good entertainment, plenty of beer and ouzo flowing lol

Breakfast:
Barras - not very good really
Manthos - about the same as barras but the view overlooking the bay made up for it
2 star - very good
Condor - very good, slightly better than 2 Star

We hired a boat out for half a day and  had a great time, not cheap but you get to see some lovely views of the coast line, we went out to one of the islands and anchored up for a while (took one of my best pictures there), the sea is so clear. (Where have all the fish gone?)

We really enjoyed our 1st  time in San Stefano, the people are really nice and you are always welcomed where ever you go and nothing is ever too much trouble. We are looking to go back there next year, maybe in May.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Our holiday in San Stefano
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:58:55 PM »
Hi Andyb, so glad that you enjoyed your holiday in SS.
Do you know what time the Greek dancing is at Zobra's? Would very much like to see them in action.
Also, how much is the boat hire for half a day and which is the island that you moored on? We definetly want to hire a boat this time.
Thanks for your help.x

Offline andyb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »
Hi Lilly
we got to Zorbas at around 10.30 and they said we were about half hour too late so I suppose anytime after 9.30.
We hired one of the speed boats called "Gina" it was the most expensive ones at €80 for 4 hours plus the fuel used €18, a bit expensive but well worth it, we had a fantastic time on it and wish we'd have had it for the day.
We booked it from San Stefano travel, they have a web site with price list.

Make sure the sea is quite calm though lol.
Can't wait to go back to San Stefano cos we had a really good holiday!

Andy x

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:31:04 PM »
Thanks for your swift reply Andy. The boat hire does seem on the expensive side for half a day but like you say it was worth it. We will wait for a calm sea before setting sail. Did you manage a swim in the sea and if so was the water warm?
I can see that you were impressed with SS, it really is an amazing place.

Offline andyb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:37:18 PM »
Hi Lilly,
we didn't go for a swim so not sure whether it is cold, I am one of those people that has to get in the sea gradually lol (not brave enough to just jump in). One thing I did notice was that we never saw any fish out at sea, only a couple of dolphins! Yes we enjoyed SS very much and will definately be going back next year x

Offline allanm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »
Hello Lilli, The greek dancing at Zorbas starts as soon as there is a lull in the serving and is danced by the waiters at various times throughout the night the best is the fire dance which is done as it gets dark .,

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 11:16:53 PM »
Andy, it seems strange that you did not see any fish, my hubby enjoys snorkeling and usually see's quite a few varieties of fish.
Lucky you seeing the dolphins,  I hope we will get to see them too.x

Allanm, thanks for the info on Zobra's Greek dancing, myself and my hubby are really looking forward to it, never got to see them in 2008.x

joan

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »
I've got to agree with Andyb, we too have hired the Gina and it really does move and what a great way to see the other side of the coast. It may be a little pricey but worth it especially if there are a few of you we really enjoyed it.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni