Author Topic: So what is Thomsons up to in 2011?  (Read 12127 times)

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
So what is Thomsons up to in 2011?
« on: July 31, 2010, 01:05:11 PM »
Knowing that I had booked for the Tsaros in May 2011, last night my mate was browsing the Thomson holidays and he came across something very odd indeed. I have got the 'usual' 20kg baggage allowance for the Tsaros, but when we got to look at the Kaloudis (Arillas) for September we found that Thomsons were only giving 15 kg baggage, but you could have another 5 kg for an extra Ł10 per person. We also found that the Mathraki was the same. Yet if you look at one of the sensatori places you get 23kg baggage and 7 kg for hand. What a ridiculous state of affairs that different people on the SAME plane will be getting different baggage allowances. Thomsons should try and come up with an explanation for something I find stupid!!

UPDATE....found this deep within Thomsons site....

Please note, customers booking Skytours, Just and Freestyle holidays, as well as customers booking their holiday within 60 days of departure, may have a reduced baggage allowance of 15kg. Please check this on the Travel Options page at the time of booking. An additional 5kg per person can be purchased at the time of booking for an extra charge of Ł10 (this must be booked for the whole party travelling).

Upshot is if anyone is booking Skytours then make absolutely certain that you know what allowance you have otherwise you will pay out bigtime in the airport!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 01:37:48 PM by swedebasher »

The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: So what is Thomsons up to in 2011?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 03:59:54 AM »
I was given 20kg. per case.
I also pre-booked an extra 5kg this trip,
The Tickets say 1 persons allowance at 20kg., and 1 at 25kg.
but Thomson's say max per case is 23kg.
I wonder if they allow you to split the extra allowance?
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:05:54 PM »
The 23 kg is what the EU say that is safe under 'Elf und safety'!
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »
Tony, I don't think you can split the allowance but whether you need to pay or take remedial action is up to the check-in staff. We saw a family having to transfer stuff between suitcases at Newcastle airport to avoid the extra cost. I guess so long as you have normal stuff at the top of the suitcase and keep the bondage kit well below at bottom then it isn't too embarrassing.

Coming home, one of our cases was over the 23kg but the Greek lady didn't bother with excess charge.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 03:09:44 PM »
Yes - much as I thought, well we have done a few trips anyway!!
I started reading the small print and if you buy the extra 5kg, it must be spread over 2 bags
as Swedebasher rightly says - the Euro H & S lunatics have drawn a line on 23Kg Max.

So buy extra 5kg = 25kg
Then buy extra case = weight 1.5kg - wow you can load it with 1/2 a kg.!! Bargain!! LOL

I'll phone them on Mon or Tuesday and ask if my extra 2 kg can be added to my hand luggage allowance of 5kg, to bring it up to the 7kg Thomson max.

Note Easyjet allow 10kg hand luggage - - Crazy Airlines!! Crazy Thomsons!!

don

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:32:52 PM »
Our Easyjet booking confirmation says no weight restriction on hand luggage but limited to one piece that the owner can personally lift into the overhead locker.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »
Never had a prob with Easyjet as long as it fits (hand luggage) in that thingee they have by check in, and you can carry it they allow.......ANd 20 kgs of check in bags per person.....

don

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 07:27:49 PM »
Booked them for Turkey. Would always fly with them if we could. Best airline by a mile.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 09:29:42 PM »
Must agree - we went easyjet last year, good flight, slightly more leg room than thomsons.
Bit worried about the press reports now, though, seems Easyjet have shed too many staff - delays possible.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »
If its not the ash cloud, its ATC or some other reason but the schedules are more likely to take off on/nearer time than the charters..  like you say more leg room and more luggage if you need it.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »
To be honest I never ever get too worried by the luggage weight thing.

The missus gets really wound up worrying about it and this year even bought some luggage scales home (which I feel like chucking in the bin)

I just think you need to show some common sense when packing........if you go daft then you'll probably be over the limit, have a think about it and you'll be ok

don

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »
To be honest I never ever get too worried by the luggage weight thing.

The missus gets really wound up worrying about it and this year even bought some luggage scales home (which I feel like chucking in the bin)

I just think you need to show some common sense when packing........if you go daft then you'll probably be over the limit, have a think about it and you'll be ok

Get what you want to take laid out on the bed. Then put a third of it back where it came from. I bet you still bring home  a few things unworn.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »
Gavlah,

I bought some luggage scales this year, much better than weighing myself[I,m only a size 8] first then picking up the case and working it out that way. It is a woman thing, we need to get it right. ::)
Does your wife write lists like me? It all adds to the excitement. Not long now until SS.

Offline sunshine

• SanStef Hero
  • 6th September. Staying at Jasmine pool bar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »
I worry about the weight every year i always pack to much and don,t wear half of what i take
so im going to cut down this year hopefully but you know what us women are like.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »
I always pack more than needed  - and do wear most of it as I like to wear something different every day if I can.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni