Author Topic: Romanza breakfast  (Read 47842 times)

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Romanza breakfast
« on: July 21, 2010, 02:29:51 PM »
New to site, but been visiting SS since Stelios (Olympic) wore a blond ponytail. What are the opinions on the new style breakfast at the Romanza?

YANNIS26

Re: Romanza breakfast
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:44:08 PM »
New to site, but been visiting SS since Stelios (Olympic) wore a blond ponytail. What are the opinions on the new style breakfast at the Romanza?
Hi Rover
Welcome to the forum.I am a Romanza regular and last visited in June.I have copied details of the breakfast from one of my previous postings.The standard breakfast is no longer the buffet type and is basic continental.Having said that I believe the cooked options are excellent value for money.

The breakfasts are basic continental which has been well reported.What has not been so well reported is the vast array of cooked options all at the excellent price of 1.5 Euro.The only exception is the full English at 3 Euro.This is excellent value and consists of 2 eggs,bacon, sausage mushrooms,tomato,beans and fried bread.This is on top of your basic breakfast of toast,cheese & ham or boiled egg or scrambled
 egg.Croissant or cake. Plus butter jam and unlimited tea or coffee.
I hope this helps.
Yammas
Yannis

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »
Yiannis, I'm surprised at you, you forgot the sachet of honey.

YANNIS26

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:39:03 PM »
Yiannis, I'm surprised at you, you forgot the sachet of honey.
Sorry Waspman I stand corrected .I also forgot the jar of homemade qumquat jam supplied by Nitsa. It was probably the reason I missed the honey.
Yammas
Yannis

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »
I saved my 3 jars for eating at home

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:27:54 PM »
Thanks for the info - still seems pretty good value to me?

YANNIS26

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »
I saved my 3 jars for eating at home
Hi Waspman
I have just read your brilliant Trip Advisor review on San Stefanos and the Romanza.This explains the 3 jars of qumquat jam.I recommend anyone who wants to know more about San Stefanos and the Romanza to read it.Of course it is even more biased than my reviews.That fact does not make it any less true.It covers all aspects including the Romanza breakfast and even gives me a mention.My only concern is in these days of economic uncertainty.How safe is my job with the Romanza PR Dept.I do not think the budget could support two of us.
Yammas
Yannis  

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:48:33 PM by YANNIS26 »

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 03:10:45 PM »

Sorry Yannis - I disagree about the 'inclusive' breakfast .. it is not good, as could be seen by
the amount of hard boiled eggs/'scrambled' egg/ham and rock hard toast that is left on peoples plates.

Yes the options that can be paid for are fine, but when the package says B&B - people don't expect to pay for a 'decent' option, the one given is very poor and needs to improve!

There were many many complaints re the standard of the breakfast .. that Gerry from Liverpool being the most vociferous

Ps: ... I didn't get any jars of honey included  :o - does that only come after your 5th visit  ;)
San Stefanos - here we come Summer 2010

Offline carole.mike

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »
the breakfast at the terrasa in my opinion is one of the best ,for breakfast you get a choice of two eggs ,two sausages or bacon and to eggs or greek yoghurt tea or coffee a big cup toast , butter ,jam .if you prefer a full english b/f it was this year two euro,s extra with orange juice  and hot and fresh cant fault it good value .bit better than the romanza i think ,im sure the people that has stayed there this season will agree with me .[i hope l.o.l]  yammas mike .      ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »

Strange Mikee, when I was there (at the same time as you and Yiannis) I only saw leftovers on yours and Gerry’s plates.  And as I remember Gerry didn’t get much support in “his special breakfast campaign”

When you’re on the continent, expect a continental breakfast, if you get more than that (i.e. at The Teresa), it’s a bonus.

As for the jars of jam, it doesn’t depend on your number of visits, it depends on your likeability factor, hence I got three.

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »
Waspee .. there were left overs on many many peoples plates, ESP the toast which was either barely done OR rock hard. As for Gerry, many people (like myself) agreed with what he SAID but I wasn't going to sign a silly petition about how poor the brekkie was  :-X

I was speaking to Jenny in Mythica about when she was at the Romanza and even she had heard how bad the breakfast was since her departure

I have MANY breakfasts on the continent France/Greece/Spain .. you name it and the Romanza must rank as the worst !

As I said IF it was only you and Yannis had the jars of honey (I didn't see anyone else with them) ... you musta been the BEES-KNEES  ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:46:05 PM by Mikee »
San Stefanos - here we come Summer 2010

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Plenty of other guests are given the jam, but as I said it depends on your likeability.  If you didn’t get one (or three) perhaps it’s because of your outspoken attitude towards the adequate (in my opinion), continental breakfasts!!! 

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »
I don't think being given jam should depend on your likeability, all customers are guests and all guests should be treated the same. All guests are customers and all pay to stay there. To treat some differently to others is asking for trouble in my opinion and is not the way to run a business. It should not depend on likeability, that to me sounds petty and very childish.
I doubt the Romanza hotel would be best pleased if they knew that their  customers were telling other customers that your treatment depends on your likeability, in fact I am sure they would not be happy at all.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:10:22 PM by lilly »

Offline Camlan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 09:02:34 PM »
Surely the point is that a full english breakfast everyday for a 2 week holiday would work out at €42 or at todays exchange rate c£35. That would increase the cost of a fortnights stay next June to £552 per person at the Romanza which remains excellent value particularly when compared with other Hotels in the resort.

I suspect that the Romanza needs for either it's own or Thomsons purposes to come in at a price point and the supplied Breakfast is the best that can be done economically at that price point. Moreover the owners have 2 options, either negotiate an increase in rate with Thomsons, a tactic which may be fraught with problems, or charge additionally for improvements to the Breakfast offering with the dual advantage of offering their customers an improved service and making some additional money without the Thomsons 'rake off'

We stayed for 2 weeks in June and found the Breakfast perfectly adequate at the Hotel's price point and on the days we decided to pay more, found what was offered to be excellent particularly at the very reasonable price.

At the end of the day, you only get what you pay for. Trust me if you want an American style buffet breakfast you will pay at lot more than the Romanza for an improvement which won't be worth the uplift in cost.

Still each to his own, we will certainly be going back next year

As to the guy starting a petition, I despair!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 09:16:54 PM »
Lilly

If you've never visited The Romanza you would probably find it difficult to understand where Yiannis and I are coming from.  The Romanza Hotel has two owners who, for want of a better word, franchise the restaurant and bar to a management team.  This is the team who provide the breakfasts, and all other meals.

The jars of jam are gifts from the owners, not the restaurant management (which is a completely separate entity) and have no bearing whatsoever on the standard, quality or quantity of breakfasts served to guests, all guests are treated the same by the superb management team.

Both Yiannis and I have been great friends with these owners for several years, so maybe  it’s not so petty and childish as you may think.

Hope that clears the matter up for you!! 

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni