Author Topic: Why I am returning to Sans Stefanos  (Read 24791 times)

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Why I am returning to Sans Stefanos
« on: July 13, 2010, 03:17:25 PM »
Myself and my husband have never returned to the same resort in all the years we have been holidaying. We had previously said we would never do this however that was before we visited Sans Stefanos in 2008.
There are lots of reasons for our return this August some of which I will mention:
The friendly and welcoming locals, nothing is too much trouble for them, we even got a lift back to our hotel last time from 3 w's bar because it was raining.
The vast amount of taverna's, enough for a two week stay.
The entertainment at the Condor bar and the quieter bars for a relaxing night.
The helpful shop keepers who do not badger you just to make a sale.
The holidaymakers that you get talking to were always friendly, no lager louts here.
Lots of accomodation to choose from to suit everyone, we are at Tsaros up the hill this year which won't be a problem for us but there are lots of accomodation that does not require a steep climb[ask Tony].
The beach, nice and clean,lovely views of the resort and the nice lady near Athina who always has a welcoming smile for you, one day on our  previous visit to SS we paid for our sunbeds on the beach and within an hour the winds whipped up so we were unable to stay and she offered us our money back which was very nice of her.
The lovely walks to Arillis, the walks through the olive groves[very pretty] and the walk to Afionas via Arillis and stopping at the restaurant there overlooking the sea[Panorama restaurant] we had a lovely meal there and the lovliest wine ever which they make themselves.
Feeling safe walking about at night and the beautiful sunsets.
These are just a few reasons why we are returning.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:28:54 PM by lilly »

Gavlah1973

Re: Why I am returning to Sans Stefanos
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
Ooooh shut up, you're getting me even more excited.......5 weeks on Friday.....bring it on!

I can deffo see us going back, we try to go on at least 2 hols a year, dont think I'd go to the same place twice in the same year but not knocking anyone that does.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 04:16:42 PM »
Yes just over five weeks to go for us too. :)
Counting down now ................38 days,

Offline carole.mike

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »
we go to san stef three times a year staying at the terrasa hotel [one of the best hotels in our opinion]roll on september back to god country .yammas mike .  ;D :o ::) :'( :'(

Gavlah1973

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 04:30:28 PM »
I think it's the food and the Tavernas that I'm mostly looking forward to.

It's a bonus if a hotel's rooms are nice but all you do is sleep there.

My days mainly consist of getting up around 8.30am, half an hours swim in the pool. The day's usually spent lounging by the pool, swimming and reading books. Love having a couple of pints around dinnertime. We prefer the pool to the beach but will definately spend a couple of days down there I think.

I think we'll hire a quad (if I'm brave enough!)and go see the island and also probably book a boat trip via Noula. We've already sorted a taxi transfer so we should arrive nice and early at the Romanza and hopefully have an afternoons sunbathing ahead.

Usually go out at 7.30ish via a swifty in the pool bar for a meal and love finishing the night back round the pool bar

Aaaahhhh Heaven!!

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 04:42:32 PM »
Well you won't be disappointed with the choice of taverna's and that is for sure.
We prefer the beach to the pool. On the days we go to the beach we usually get there for about 10am, do some swimming and relaxing, then we have lunch at Athina pool bar which is next to beach or Waves restaurant , a little more time relaxing then back to apartment for 2pmish stopping on way for a glass of vino, quick shower then usually go for a long walk stopping for yet more drinks on the way.
Another shower then out for evening meal and entertainment.
Some days we change the day around, walks in morning and beach in the afternoon with a lovely picnic.
We had a great time on the 2 seater quads type during our last visit, all the way to Kassiopi then back to SS then onto Agios Georgios North and through olive groves to Pagi.  I prefer the quads type with the 2 seats next to each other rather than riding pillion.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »
Is it easy to find your way round Lilly? I drive for a living here so the last thing I've ever wanted to do on hols is drive. The quads sound fun though. A customer of mine did it and he loved it. Do you get enough fuel in them for a good journey??

Cheers

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »
We had a map which we picked up from the hotel last time , they will probably have maps at your hotel or you can pick one up at the travelshop or at the actual quad bike hire place. Hubby is a confident driver[use to driving fire engines] but you still have to mindful of other drivers and keep your wits about you especially when approaching bends. Also slow right down on bends and corners. Before you set off have a practice around the village first to get a feel of it but you should be ok. From what I can remember you get a good tank of petrol but I think you have to fill it back to what it was before you return it, I could be wrong though but they will let you know.
Kassiopi was a nice place to stop for dinner/lunch around the harbour where you can see Albania so clearly.
Agios Georgios North in the opposite direction is a lovely resort[stayed there in 2006] for a nice spot of dinner/lunch then if you continue inland from there up the hill to Pagi which is a small village where some of the James Bond movie for your eyes only was filmed [the part where the car goes over the wall and into the cafe]. The cafe is still there and Spiros the owner is very welcoming and still trading off the memories of James Bond.

Offline Paulene Dean

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »
Started coming to San Stef with my Mum and Dad - and when we had the children it seemed the ideal place. Have now been going for near on 10 years (apart from a break due to pregnancy and Bulgaria - enough said about that). Still enjoying it as much as the 1st time - within 5 mins of arriving we are totally chilled. Love the lazy days and lovely choice of restaurants in the evening as well as the friendliness of all the locals / other holidaymakers we meet up with. 3 weeks to go and will be there again - can't wait

zoe

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
lilly you saved me a lot of time typing as everything you have put i feel the same we had a great time in may and roll on september when roy has talked me in to having a quad bike for the day roll on 17th september

Offline injebreck99

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 10:05:22 PM »
Hi all, we are going to SS for the first time on the 1st October, staying at the Athina half board, we usually hire a caron other holidays,  but am intrigued about Quad bike hire, how much do they cost, and where from please. :D

zoe

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
if i remember right it was 10euro for 4hrs or 20 for the day and its right by the athina hotel

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
Hi Zoe, we went in September in 2008 and had a lovely time despite a few thunder storms but we simply sheltered in Waves Taverna on the beach.
I replied to your pm, well at least I think that I did.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:14:03 PM by lilly »

zoe

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 11:46:07 PM »
yes i did get your pm thanks  we went in 2008 in october for the first time and caught the san stef bug  then june and september 2009 now may and september this year we love it its more the local people we have met and the great friends we have made who are also on holiday so we will be going back next year as well  :)

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 01:26:46 AM »
Lilly,

You should have been a poet.  Great description of a lovely piece of the island.  Sadly not all people feel the same.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni