Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 16454 times)

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Tipping
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
Hello all
At last we are allowing ourselves to think about our holiday in August....countdown to the end of term has started!
I know tipping can be a bit of a contentious subject but would just like to know what is considered a suitable % to tip when eating out in SS?
Last year we stayed at the Nafsika, so it was easy as we saw the same people everyday and got to know them well.
This time, (and because there are six of us) we are staying with Noula at the Theodosia apts and are planning to spread our wings and visit many of the restaurants talked about here.
In this country we would do 10-15% and in America 15-20% for good service and would hate to offend by getting it wrong. Likewise, would you tip the lady who cleans the apt daily/weekly or at the end of our two weeks?.... and again, approx how much?
Thanks in advance
Helen

don

Re: Tipping
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »
Usually tip 10% when eating out. Come to think of it we forgot to tip the cleaner this time and she was a lovely lady.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:32:50 AM »
We also give 10% when eating out and leave the cleaner a tip at the end of our hols.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

zoe

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:23:18 AM »
we also give 10% on our meals and leave the cleaner some money and a box of chocs

Offline carole.mike

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 04:05:52 PM »
i always leave a tip   [dont meet me in the dark] l.o.l we leave two euros for meal and ten euros to maid for fortnight . yammas mike . ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 12:29:05 AM »
Us as well - we do 10% and tip the maid if she is good.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Gavlah1973

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 11:35:57 AM »
Must admit.........after spending a week in Egypt I'm looking forweard to just doing normal tipping (10% for meals)

and not having to bung them a quid everytime I order a drink!!

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
Not sure where you were in Egypt but hubbie and I spent 3 months there 3 winters ago, Cairo, Sharm, Hughada and Dahab, we never had to give anyone backhanders for drinks or tips althu the policeman guarding the ATM did suggest we did, which we didnt. But back to original link, tips are always as you feel appropiate - you have a good service you tip accordingly and like others I would say 10% of the bill is a far amount and always much appreciated by the workers at your choice of restaurant.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »
We were in Naama Bay Lesley. Ghazala Gardens hotel (one of the ones that got bombed)

Great hotel but the tipping did do my head in. If I hadn't have tipped some of the bar tenders then I'd still be waiting for a drink. I had to physically make them serve other people who'd been waiting a lot longer than me who obviously hadn't tipped.

Funny story

We did a desert jeep trip one night which culminated with a BBQ/fire show (very good actually)

It was an all inc trip so your beer was free. One of the waiters from our hotel was serving us and he really looked after us bringing us drink after drink. At the end of the night I gave him £5 and he was over the moon.

The next night we walked into our hotel and it was packed. He came running over and honestly, tried to steal the chairs from some Russians who were sat there minding their own business!! I told him that it was ok as we were going to another bar in the hotel We walked on 50 yards and then stopped to talk to a couple who'd been on our flight. Over he came again trying to kick people out of chairs so we could sit there!! I had also previously told them that I was a 'Big Sheik' and the Lord Mayor Of Leeds so that could have been something to do with it along with the tip!!

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »
10%, as long as food and service meets our standards. If either doesn't, they get zilch all.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
Bristleboy, do you tip when just ordering a couple of drinks at the bars? I always feel like I have to, hubby thinks that I am too generous, I am just a big softie.
Also I believe the owner of Tsaros where we are staying comes to pick us up from ootside the Barras in his car, would I be expected to tip him?

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 11:16:16 PM »
Lilly

If I was just havin drinks and running a tab then I may just round it up if it came to 18 euros for example when I got the bill.

Or......If I have a couple of drinks in one bar then I usually just offer to buy who ever is serving a drink

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 03:44:13 AM »
Must admit.........after spending a week in Egypt I'm looking forweard to just doing normal tipping (10% for meals)

and not having to bung them a quid everytime I order a drink!!
We were in Egypt as well - after lots of research we worked out that a £1 or £2 coin a day was all that was required to get treatment like a VIP
one pound a day had beach beds secured with extra towels each day, one pound a day had the beach waiters asking me every time they passed.
One pound a day in the bars kept us topped up!
If you gave a pound each time - no wonder they tried to unseat the russkies!! LOL
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:50:57 AM by tonyco1 »

Gavlah1973

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 02:24:17 PM »
It wasn't that bad to be honest....

I tipped early on in the hols and then once again towards the end......did get me great service!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 03:51:24 PM »
Obvious really - Tippers get priority - I would do the same in their position!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni