Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 16465 times)

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Tipping
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »
Bristleboy, do you tip when just ordering a couple of drinks at the bars? I always feel like I have to, hubby thinks that I am too generous, I am just a big softie.

I suppose the Q i would ask is - Do you tip at home when you go to a pub and order a couple of drinks at the bar? For most of us, in most cases i guess the answer would be "No". So why do it on holiday?
If i'm sat at a table outside a bar and the barperson comes to take the order then i'll tip when settling the bill. When we used Three W bar in June for pre-dinner drinks we tipped Anna because she came to take our order, would stop for a few mins to chat and was just generally great at making us feel welcome. If the bill was 5.50 euros, for example, i'd leave a 50 cent tip; if it was say 9 euros i'd just handover a 10 euro and leave.
If i'm sat at a bar on hols, then i'm just getting served as i would at home in my local, so i don't tip on these occasions.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 09:25:54 PM »
Thanks for that Bristle, it makes alot of sense because  we would not tip at home just for a couple of drinks. However, if they go out of their way to make you feel welcome then a small tip would be a nice gesture.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 01:03:34 AM »
All thats makes great sense, service above the norm deserves a little thank you.  In Uk I normally have to queue at a bar than get handed my drinks - try to find a table and that's if I'm lucky, then its normally dirty and sticky from previous occupiers, mind you I do come from London!!!! Mite be different in other towns, cities etc.......

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 02:00:29 PM »
Thanks everybody.
Will go with what we do usually - round up a bar bill and settle for 10ish% plus a little more on meals. I think we'll tip the maid a little each day - it worked wonders in America so that's sorted. Having children who have "waitered their way" through college and uni and have relied on their tips I think we are prob over generous but I do like to recognise good service.
Thanks again
Roll on the 6th from little ol' Exeter!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 02:58:02 PM »
I agree with all that, but tipping in an A/I Hotel is to get priority or extra service, as in Egypt,
This wouldn't work in San Stefanos quite the same way.
Tipping in a bar in San Stef - I only tip if a waiter service, or the service is v/good overall!
If I have to get my own drinks and I like the barman/maid, I give a small tip like Bristol Boy!
For meals out - I do tip, but down to personal choice and common sense, go with your instincts!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 02:01:28 AM »
Yep agree Tony, all down to the individual bar/person and the service

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 09:52:24 PM »
In the Thomas Bay, we get Christos or Stefanos to serve us - their tip is usually a drink in there, which they always appreciate!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni