Author Topic: Our review of our holiday  (Read 26832 times)

Offline Paulene Dean

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Our review of our holiday
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
Olive Press opening - Yippee - will def get my favourite apple and cinnamon pie now - last year George sent someone out to get one for me when they ran out - what service. And hear hear about the lamb and roast potatoes.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 02:10:05 AM »
Saw the post - then bought one from our local shop - just had too!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 02:20:19 AM »
Here goes. Objective mode on:

It's easy to see why people go back to SS year after year. It's a very relaxing place. It's not beautiful - it's not your dream perfect old place like Lindos or Parga. It's a modern beach resort, although they've done everything they can with flowering shrubs to make it as attractive as possible. There are no Hellenic ruins, no crumbling palaces. There are Venetian castle walls within range.

What it does have is great scenery - the view out over the Ionian Sea to Mathraki and Othoni is lovely, especially from the ridge top. It also has a very good beach, and that's in a sense the focal point.

We had a good, early flight out from Doncaster, which has all the benefits of a small airport - no queues, no air traffic congestion, and a very long runway!

Then three weeks staying at Little Prince. We can't praise Dimitri, Pippina and Mixalis too much. The rooms are huge. Quite accidentally we were allocated a two-bedroom apartment, and it was great to have separate vast kitchen, let alone the fact that I could sleep in the second room and leave Gillie to wriggle around and snore on her own. Not that I snore, of course. We had clean sheets and towels almost every day.

The food at Little Prince was consistently excellent. The best Moussaka in SS.

Other places were good. Mythica was very good, Zorba's  fine, Beachcomber superb. Thought Ozzie Oils not so good. Wonderful lamb chops in the last taverna before the supermarket near the beach (can't remember the name!).

Met lots of forum people at various times. Great to meet shellbell and Cockney in Hull on the boat to Mathraki and Othoni.

Prices were remarkably reasonable. Portions too large generally for a slim Adonis like me (comments will be ignored), which may explain why a surprisingly large percentage of people on the beach and in the village seemed to be bordering on obese.

The great thing about SS, apart from the weather, is the friendliness and the way it's so easy to slip into relaxation mode. Seriously recommend three weeks if you can do it.

Nice walk to Arrilas, although I thought it was a nothing place, with a miserable beach.

No problems returning. The bus picked up at Sidari before us. The Thomson's reps at the airport were very well organised: two minute queue, then we were all the first to check in.

Back to a raining Doncaster, and grey skies over Hull. But then, that's why we go to SS. Sun, sea, friendship, good food, good cheer. It didn't let us down.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010, 03:29:33 AM »
Nice report there Jim - good viewpoint!

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 12:48:12 AM »
Great report Jimbo, shame we did'nt meet up (we were there from 25th June  for two weeks).  Agree with Arillas, not much about it.  Last year we were in the Little Prince restaurant every other night.  This year we decided to spread our cash and custom around (ooh err).  The wife and I can't stop talking about our stay in San Stef, it has really made a great impression on us.  We go to Turkey in seven weeks time but we still just talk about San Stef.  I'm filling up now!

don

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 12:58:40 AM »
Never saw you either Rod. We too are giving Turkey a spin. Just booked it tonight. October for us though. Only ever been for a day trip before so should be refreshing!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 01:13:30 AM »
We did October two years ago - weather great still!!

Offline allanm

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »
We eat at the sunset taverna,wonderful food cooked by Spiros,s mother.It is lovely to sit by the fountain and have a cool drink before dinner.Why don,t more people come to the quiet end ?. of course we are biased we stay at the Blue Dream studios, across the road. We will be back in August 2010. We also like the olympic and Sorbas.

Offline pembo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 10:41:16 PM »
We stay in Nikos appartments behind Athens Bar so we go to the Sunset quite regularly, they also serve up a good full English breakfast. We go back in August and will certainly be caling into see Spiros.

don

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 10:45:53 PM »
We always eat at the Sunset when we visit SS and can never understand why it isn't busier. Apart from the great food we love to sit and chat by the fountains too. It's a great place for people watching!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:53:40 PM by don »

Offline Paulene Dean

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 11:03:29 PM »
After many years going to SS we eventually made Sunset last year - absolutely lovely meal - only reason we had never tried it b4 was we had already plonked ourselves down at one of the other many lovely places to eat b4 we got to that end of town - but will certainly be going there again this year

Offline SANDY

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »
we always stay with Spiros and Maria at the sunset they are lovely people,but so is everyone else in SS.
Unfortunately funds won't run to a holiday this year,we have a big wedding up in Newcastle,our sons third time[lucky we hope]
when he returns from Afghanistan.

Offline sunshine

• SanStef Hero
  • 6th September. Staying at Jasmine pool bar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »
We have been going to the sunset for a few years and can never understand why all the people just seem to walk by when as everyone knows their home cooked food is first class..perhaps a lot of people think they are missing something if they don't go down to the centre of the village....strange really...... :-\ :-X

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »
As I said in another post, I highly rate Sunset Taverna and always enjoy the meals there.
I used to love it when that couple used to play live music there as well.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 09:36:06 PM »
Did they not have a music night last year with a bouzouki player amongst others
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni