Author Topic: Booking seats on plane  (Read 11000 times)

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Booking seats on plane
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »
I have just booked our seats together and was able to actually chose our seat numbers included in the price[Thomsons]. Must be a new thing because when we flew out in 2008 I was never given that option. I wanted to make sure we got a window seat because once even though we got to the airport early all the window seats were gone and we were seperated by the aisle, me next to someone who coughed all the way there and hubby next to a baby on mums knee who cried for the whole journey[poor little thing].
Does anyone else book their seats or just take pot luck?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Booking seats on plane
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
I always book if possible. It's another stress factor out of the way en route to the airport - and particularly coming back when you have an airport with vast sweaty queues of people carrying stuffed donkeys and bags full of two start Metexa.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:07:33 PM »
Nearly always book if possible. I've picked my actual seats for the past 3 years. Always try to sit near the front. You get your drinks/food quicker and as it's in front of the engines a hell of a lot quieter

I always like to be near the cockpit. If anything happens to the plane/pilot I feel I could always lend a hand as I've seen 421 episodes of Air Crash Investigation!!  :-\

don

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Gavlah......... You should always sit at the back. I bet in all those episodes you never saw one reverse into a mountain  :o

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:39:59 AM »
I take pot luck mostly and check in early - never had a problem!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

YANNIS26

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »
I do book seats on a plane but it depends on the type of journey and type of plane.When travelling to corfu I do not bother.The reason being the vast majority of planes used are Boeing 757s.This plane has 3 seats on either side.Being the shy retiring sort of person that I am I hate the two inside seats.The reason being you have to disturb the stranger in the aisle seat if you require to stretch your legs or visit the toilet.This being the case I ask for seats on opposite aisles which are readily available and of course free of charge.
When travelling to my sons in Dubai the seats are usually a 2-4-2 layout.In this case I book the window seat and the one next to it ,in front of the engines.As Gavlah says its quieter.On most scheduled airlines it is also free which is more than you can say for Thomsons.
Yammas
Yannis

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »
Seems I am now behind the Times, with what I just posted above - -  we used to always check in early and grab 2 seats together.
We have now booked this year, with actual seats chosen by Linda, she tells me. Both for Dalyan and Corfu!!
Previously Thomson would only allow (Corfu flights - seats ABC DEF) you to book as a couple, AB or EF, otherwise C D opposite in Aisle.
Now we have booked seats 6D and 6E Aisle and the one inside it, window seat left free, as I prefer an aisle seat, but sitting next to Linda.
(Nothing like a cuddle), LOL
So now I have joined the seats Stress Factor Free as per Jimbo - it feels good as well!!

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
never bother to book. dont really mind where we sit for two hours or so. We are both into our books anyway so where ever is ok! I am travelling both ways alone this year again so prefer an aisle seat if poss ... but will settle for anything. It's just a means to an end! Sitting on the wing would do me!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 11:35:21 PM »
Now I have this thought - -  this picture  - - - - - - - Lynn - just can't say it  - - - LOL

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »
We have booked seats  A and B. I just love to look out of the window, I don't bother reading on the plane, I just sit back and enjoy the view.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 11:57:17 PM »
Don't get a night flight then!! LOL

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »
When I went to Egypt recently I've never had such a great view.

The plane was only flying at 32000 feet so not quite as high as normal. He flew all the way down the Adriatic Coast and some of the little villages and resorts looked gorgeous. The desert was also spectacular and I saw the Suez canal which was pretty special.

Flights to Crete are usually good as you fly over Santorini and see the cauldera

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »
Hi Tony, we have got a early morning flight[had to pay extra to change the flight time].
Last time we went to Corfu[2008] it was cloudy all the way there so I admired the cloud formation instead. Really hope it is a clear sky this time.

Offline Sarah

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 04:34:30 PM »
We never prebook our seats.  We just get to the airport earlier, check in and then go to the pub over the road.  Have never had problem going out but a couple of times on the return we have had isle seats.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:21 PM »
I love the view as the plane circles around before landing in Corfu - nice view, once we flew back and passed over San Stefanos and I have good pictures of S S - a bit like the google ones, but my own!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni