Author Topic: Stamatis 4th June Hurray!!  (Read 22767 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: Stamatis 4th June Hurray!!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 01:23:06 AM »
Waspman, thanks for this update, we are especially so sorry to hear of Vangelis loss - we knew his parents quite well,
especially his mother from the Helena Supermarket when it was open.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 01:59:31 AM »
Waspman,

My wife and I stopped off for a light lunch and a couple of cheeky ones last year at Gravis and we were impressed.  The scenery alone is worth paying for.  We were a little sad for them as the place appeared to be too quiet.  The location I suppose.  Will it be open this year?

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 02:08:51 AM »
The Gravia is indeed open this year.  We visited 3 weeks ago but missed Costos as he was in Corfu Town

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 02:26:00 AM »
Thank you Waspman for the info.  How sad for Vagelis.  We were there when his Father, Michalis, died and he was almost inconsolable.  The whole village felt very, very sad.  And now his Mum, am sure it will be an enormous loss for him.  Oh dear, the Nafsika will feel the loss of Vagelis I'm sure.  Such a character, a consistent. 

Was interesting about Costas - when we last stayed there (in 2006) he had already left, think he went to work in Sidari then - George was there but constantly talking of going to work with Costas in Sidari and very 'unsettled'.  We last popped into the Nafsika in 2008 and it was good to see Vagelis serving in the evening.  How exactly do you get to Costas's place?  Would love to go and see it.  Oh no....... I really think Spiros will miss Vagelis massively!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 02:36:52 AM »
I've just remembered something about Vagelis - it was when he was in cgharge of the breakfasts and I asked for soft boiled eggs - he bought them and waited whilst I took the top of - HARD!  ' I take back - no problem' he said.  Few mins later he returned and waited again whilst I took the tops off (by this time I was getting very nervous) - guess what - RAW!  (How I wished I'd had stuck to toast!)  He whipped the plate away and I waited and waited.  In the meantime more and more residents were coming down for breakfast and they waited......and waited.  All of a sudden he burst out of the kitchen with my eggs!  He stood over me whilst I took the tops of (I was terrified by this time) - everyone was looking at me.  'Perfect!' I announced.  'Lovely jubbly' cried a jubilant Vagelis 'If you want a job doing properly - do it yourself!'  He had been cooking my eyes, nurturing them into perfection.  Wonderful - but guess what?  I never dared ask for soft boiled eggs again - TOO STRESSFUL!

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 02:41:28 AM »
I've just remembered something about Vagelis - it was when he was in cgharge of the breakfasts and I asked for soft boiled eggs - he bought them and waited whilst I took the top of - HARD!  ' I take back - no problem' he said.  Few mins later he returned and waited again whilst I took the tops off (by this time I was getting very nervous) - guess what - RAW!  (How I wished I'd had stuck to toast!)  He whipped the plate away and I waited and waited.  In the meantime more and more residents were coming down for breakfast and they waited......and waited.  All of a sudden he burst out of the kitchen with my eggs!  He stood over me whilst I took the tops of (I was terrified by this time) - everyone was looking at me.  'Perfect!' I announced.  'Lovely jubbly' cried a jubilant Vagelis 'If you want a job doing properly - do it yourself!'  He had been cooking my eyes, nurturing them into perfection.  Wonderful - but guess what?  I never dared ask for soft boiled eggs again - TOO STRESSFUL!

Have you the recipe?   LOL
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 02:47:51 AM »
Typical of that genuine nice guy!
A fantastic friend I first met in 1984, the very first year he worked as a waiter in the Golden Beach Hotel,helping Stefanos - now of the Condor.
We took the kids that year, Marcia was 16 and Mark was 5.
Marcia met a friend and Vangelis fancied them! - I found out that the girls drinks (we were drinking Brandy & Sprite), were also brandy and sprite, which was naughty!!
Also they were 50/50 brandy!!
So I swapped them. the next round I ordered, I asked for sprite for me and Linda, with american ginger- it looked the same.
Marcia ordered Brandy & sprite and I just swapped them over each time - he thought it was wonderful how Marcia could drink copious amounts of Brandy and not get drunk!! LOL
So many people will have Vangelis stories from all the places he worked at - a real but genuine character!! (Remember him in the Thomas Bay??).

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2010, 03:07:54 AM »
Whenever we go to San Stef we have to look out Vangelis. It doesn't matter where in the world we have travelled he is one of the people we MUST see when we return.
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 09:35:42 AM »
I suspect he won't be so visible now, as he has something very personal to deal with.
He may well be back next year if it feels right, it takes some people a long time to grieve.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
This is how you get to The Gravia cafe/bar which is owned by Costos (ex Nafsika) there are two ways.

1 Walk up the steep hill towards Arrilas and keep left (heading towards Arrilas) his taverna is on the left just before Arrilas, and overlooks the island of Gravia

An easier way.  Walk out of San Stefanos, past the Mythica (on your left) and just keep walking out of town.  After a couple of sharp bends at the end of town you will see the first right hand turning which states Gravia.  Turn right here and it leads you to the hill top overlooking Gravia island, Costos is just to your left.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 02:34:44 PM »
Thank you waspman - brilliant directions!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 02:43:09 AM »
May I refer you to our new friend JustL@@kins Map.
http://arillasmap.awardspace.com/googlemap/?item=145
click on the Gravia bar to see pictures of it.

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 01:40:28 PM »
Stopped at the Gravia the other day for a snack and a cooling beer. There were quite few people there and you certainly can't beat view and it's a good staging post on the walk over to or back from Arillas.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »
Gordon - what is the condition of the Path down into Arillas now?
We heard a few bad reports earlier.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni