Author Topic: It's the New 2010 Holiday Season - First Reports of San Stefanos  (Read 68931 times)

Offline lufcsahb

• View Profile
Re: It's the New 2010 Holiday Season - First Reports of San Stefanos
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2010, 11:57:01 PM »
Me and my daughter went out on 28th May and came back yesterday.  We had only ever been in August before.  I knew it would be quiter at this time of year but it seemed to me there was hardly anyone there.  Arrived around 11.30 pm and went for a walk and did not see one person walking down the "high" street.  No one in Condor Bar although that did get slightly busier to the end of the week. Stayed at Athina Hotel B & B only and they told me it has been a very quiet start to the season. All restraunts very quiet indeed, with Mythica and Olympia being the busiest. (But you didn't have to book at either.)
The beach now looks like Arrilas beach did last year, and only room for one row of beds and you could see where the sea had been right up to the top of the beach recently.  As I say I don't know whether this is normal for this time of year or due to the wet winter they told me they have had.
That said everyone was very welcoming as usual and we got to do some lovely walks which we never do in August because of the heat.  I am very lucky to be going again in August and like to think I am doing my bit to help the Greek economy.  ;D

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2010, 02:52:45 AM »
Very worrying the beach thing - it seems to disappear more each year - this can kill resorts if the trend continues!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »
Lilolil, we went to the harbour to catch the local ferry, sails on Mons, Weds and Sats and you can go to Mathraki or Othoni. As I said, 6 euros pp each way to Othoni, just over three hours on the island. You'll get longer on Mathraki, guessing the fare would be around 4 euros each way. SS travel has a new trip taking in both islands, 28 euros pp.

Resort was quite lively last week, being half term but doesn't look too bad this week so far. Little Prince has been busy both accommodation and the restaurant. Kerry at Ozzy Oils said the place had been quiet in May but she was happy with business so far. Sue at the Beachcomber also reported a quiet May. Zorbas seems much quiter than usual and the Pizza place next door seems really quiet. Mythica has been fairly busy but was empty at eight o'clock on Friday evening, Little Prince packed when we went to eat.

Olive Press has not opened and doesn't show much sign of doing so.

Finally, the new shop next to the juice bar has just opened. Has lots of Olive Oil products inc. cosmetics, Ouzo, Kumquat etc., novelty candles and so on. Prices for cosmetics as per Corfu Town. It is a nice looking shop though.

Weather on Saturday started with a thunderstorn with v. heavy rain at 06:00 and was very mixed all day. Sunday is already very warm and locals say forecast for this week is v. good.

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
Things will liven up from late tomorrow when my wife and i arrive ;D

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »
Just been informed that they are building bunkers on the beach and putting shutters up in the town,
imminent invasion predicted - must be Bristol Boy!! LOL
Have a good holiday !!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »
Very worrying the beach thing - it seems to disappear more each year - this can kill resorts if the trend continues!

I wouldnt worry Tony, I am sure the beach will reappear, it certainly did last year as it was noticeably larger in September than in June.

Corfu has had two very stormy winters which is the flip side of our own very cold winters but things are likely to change back in the years to come.

Only 3 weeks to go!

Andy

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2010, 07:44:29 PM »
Just been informed that they are building bunkers on the beach and putting shutters up in the town,
imminent invasion predicted - must be Bristol Boy!! LOL
Have a good holiday !!

Regards - we can't wait.
We're in celebratory mood as we've become 1st-time grandparents in the last few days - i know we're a bit young for it, at the tender age of 48! ;D

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »
Congratulations Bristle Boy :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline injebreck99

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »
Hi all, my wife & I are off to the Athina hotel in SS in early October, any hints & tips on the hotel & the area would be appreciated, we have heard that the hotel catering is not as good as it should be, do we need take our travel kettle, we have ordered a seaview room with a balcony, will we get it??, we have been so disappointed in the past with Thomas Cook in other countries in the past, we hope that Thompsons will do better.
 Cheers folks. :D

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
Hi injebreck,
We stayed at the Athina 2008. They do not have kettles in the rooms. When you say you ordered a seaview room, do you mean you paid for it or was it just a request? If you paid the supplment for it then you will get it however if you simply requested it then it is not guaranteed.
Regarding the food, both breakfast and evening meal are waiter service. The breakfast are on the small side, the choice is pick one of the following: fruit,yogurt,cereal or egg on toast plus you get 2 slices of toast with marmalade or jam. With the evening meals you get a much better portion including choice of starter, main meal and dessert, my husband liked the evening meals. I am a vegetarian and I was able to request what I wanted for my evening meal if I did'nt fancy what was on the menu.
The Athina is a lovely friendly place, Olga on reception is very helpful, waiting staff brilliant, George the pool man come nightwatchman and Spiros who runs the bar is a great laugh,going to look in on Spiros in August. When we go to SS in August we are staying at the Tsaros apartments this time because we want to try self catering so we can try all the wonderful restaurants.
The pool at Athina is lovely and just beyond that and you are on the beach. The pool has a pool bar serving good value food and drinks and there are toilets just behind the pool bar. Safes are behind the reception.
If you need to know anything else then just ask.
Meant to say they have a small fridge in the room, sell water at reception[saves you carrying it about]. there is air conditioning but you have to pay for that.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:35:49 PM by lilly »

Offline injebreck99

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the info, all appreciated, there is no substitute for hands on experience, Cheers.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »
We stayed at the Athina in 2008 - and the most notceable thing for me was it's cleanliness - we had 2 sea view rooms on top floor and they were cleaned SO well every day by the most amazingly charismatic, strong and funny lady!  Everyone in the hotel was unfailingly kind and helpful - the food was ok, my grandson was just 2 and regularly ran into the kitchen and I couldn't find a spot of dirt there either.  Counts for a lot I think

Offline ianandsarah

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
    • Eco Friendly Products
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2010, 06:08:26 PM »
Anyone tell us if they have had to have 2 rooms at tereza's before? We have booked a family and smaller room to accomodate the 5 of us and we were wondering if they would be close together or not?

Offline Mikee

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »
Anyone tell us if they have had to have 2 rooms at tereza's before? We have booked a family and smaller room to accomodate the 5 of us and we were wondering if they would be close together or not?

I think a request for such, put to your travel operator should sort that out Ian/Sarah
Failing that I'm sure emailing Terezas direct would help .. someone one here will have their email I'm sure
San Stefanos - here we come Summer 2010

YANNIS26

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
Hi Ian&sarah
Try the following link to the Tereza web site.It contains all contact details and more.
http://www.villatereza.com/
Yammas
Yannis

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni