Author Topic: It's the New 2010 Holiday Season - First Reports of San Stefanos  (Read 68886 times)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Hi all - - - Please can any Visitors for the new Season - give their information Reports here:

A) Firstly any confirmed changes to the resort,
B) Who's doing Sunbeds and where on the beach,

C)Most importantly, owing to the Greek Economy Crisis - Prices for 2010;
1) Beer
2) Meals
3) Apartments
4) General shopping
5) Excursions
6) Car Hire
7) Bike or Quadbike Hire

D) Resort News - who's open / closed etc.

So c'mon you first visitors - we all wait with interest for the first on-site reports!

Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline lisak123

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: It's the New 2010 Holiday Season - First Reports of San Stefanos
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »
hi tonyco we fly out tomorrow morning so i will check out all whats happening and beer prices of course and get back to you as soon as possible

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:44:13 PM »
That will be grat Lisak123. Can't wait to hear whats been happening in our favourite place :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
You lucky Devil, wish I was going to San Steph tomorrow and away from our wonderful UK summer.

Look forward to hearing your reports, you have chosen a good time to go as Greece is having an early heatwave which will last till next weekend.

Andy & Gill

Offline TerryandJoy

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:52:30 AM »
Bags are packed and ready to leave for the airport in about 4 hours time.  I'd noticed those forecast temperatures seemed a fair bit higher than usual for May - 27C all week, that will do nicely.   Both Thomson and Birmingham airports show flight on time so fingers crossed that we should be feeling some of that heat at about 1115 local time.   Even with a coach transfer we should be in San Stef in time for a late lunch.   Going to be knackered so a kip in a warm shady location will be looking like a good idea after that.

Only there for a week so should be back before Lisa but the only thing I can guarantee finding out will be the Mythos prices although we will try to remember a few other things too!!

Offline lisak123

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:09:07 AM »
where are you staying,hope to bump ino you's

Offline TerryandJoy

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 01:17:49 AM »
Staying at Teresa - we are on the Birmingham flight.   I think you are at Kapetanios so we are pretty close by.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 02:53:33 AM »
Hi LisaK123 and TerryandJoy
Have a great time - we can't wait to return again - thanks in advance for doing those reports!!

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »
Is there anyone out there who has just come back? If so, what news?
When God created Wales he was just showing off

don

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:12 PM »
Or even someone with a notebook or even willing to pay for internet usage!

Offline TerryandJoy

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »
Back home again.   Left San Stephanos at 0740 not knowing if we had an aircraft to get onto but fortune favoured us for a change - the Brum flight was the only one on schedule.

A brief report here for now - have a washing machine to feed.    Not a lot changed in SS since we last visited in 2008 although it was very, very quiet.   Most businesses were up and running although notable exceptions were Gladiator, Bar38 and the Olive Press.  Gladiator showed some signs that it may open later but Bar 38 and Olive Press looked completely shut down. 

Prices are up for a lot of things fuel being the most notable, €1.50 to 1.60 for unleaded, €1.30 - 1.35 for diesel.   Ciggies and tobacco have gone up too, local brand Leader from €2 (2009) to €2.40, B & H up from €3.20 to €3.80 although there is still some old stock around at the cheaper price including the airport.   Golden Virginia rolling tobacco up from €60 to €75 for half a kilo.

We weren't in SS in 2009 but went to Thassos instead so I can't compare meal and drink prices directly.   Examples though are that most set menus were pitched at €9, half litre of house wine €4.50 (€4 at Zorbas).   Large beer €2.50.

So onto the beach - no idea of sunbed prices because there weren't a lot around.  Just a few towards the south end of the beach and we didn't go down there.   Our first few days the beach was as usual but by Saturday there wasn't much of a beach to speak of - it was almost completely covered by sea blown in on a strong westerly, at Arillas there was no beach at all this morning when we passed through.

Quad hire was €20 per day with the usual reductions for long term hire, scooters were €15 per day.  Didn't check car hire prices but I noticed that the car hire place now has a digital thermometer I hadn't noticed before.

Nothing to compare the excursion prices with but the one's in San Stef Travel's window looked good value.

We were told to expect price increases soon to reflect new taxes coming in the very near future, the impression I got that these will be across the board reflecting the state of the economy in Greece.

I hope that's enough to keep you guys going for now.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 12:22:15 AM »
Thanks for that Terry and Joy from all of us SS addicts. All sounds ok at the mo but as you say things may change.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »
Nice report Terry and Joy - and the first - Congratulations!!
Thanks for the info - worrying news about the beaches - lets hope it settles back!
Next report please!!

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
Great of you to post the information TerryandJoy.  My wife and I have been interested to know if there were any changes from last year.  Did the locals say if it was unusually quiet?  Just wondering if its because it is early in the year or if that will be the norm throughout the year.  Thanks again.

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »
We were across this fortnight last year and the village was very quiet. I got the impression that a lot of the locals felt it was quieter than 2008. Hope this trend doesn't continue and that San Stef has good season. Anyway, well be there a week on Friday, the Icelandic god of fire permitting!! Will report back from San Stef :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni