Author Topic: Other Places in north corfu  (Read 11861 times)

Offline montagum

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Other Places in north corfu
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:25:16 PM »
Going back to SS this year in August.  Thought of visting other places this year.  Can you let me know what Roda, Archaravi etc are like if anyone knows for days out?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: Other Places in north corfu
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »
We went once more to Roda and Archaravi last year, Beaches are not nearly as nice there, Roda is Ok - friendly - nice town busier.
Archaravi quiet.
Take a ride further out to the other San Stefanos NE. (do them all in one day). Good view of Albania on the way there.
The other S S - is a very pretty harbour village, beach not up to much, but full of yachts / Boats and a great way to while away a day.
Nice Taverna's over-looking the bay, you will enjoy a visit there.

We often take a car out and go up the mount, just past St. Georges Bay  - brilliant views, then we meander along the mountain roads to Paleo!! (and have a coffee in the Bella Vista overlooking the Paleo-bay).

Lots of hidden old villages around the Island as well.

Boat trips to the "Two-Islands" also a good day out!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline bella35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 01:34:45 PM »
Kassiopi has a nice harbour surrounded by tavernas looking over into Albania. We went there for many years but are trying SS for the first time tomorrrow

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »
Also try further down along the west coast, St Georges onwards, usually the best beaches and apart from Paeleo, much more laid back!!

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:34:11 PM »
I can echo the sentiments of Bella.  Kassiopi is lovely place to visit, just to sit with a light lunch perhaps.  I also used to holiday there.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Afionas (next door to Arillas) is a beautiful Greek village with breathtaking views over St George and great tavernas - Dionysos at the very top.  Peroulades (Avioltes end of village) too is a beautiful old village leading onto a taverna hanging over the cliff (whose name escapes me - Sunset?).  Agios Gordios is nice for a visit with a really good feel and lovely beach - also Pelekas is wonderful - perched on a hill and has a separate beach area - also just along the road is Glyfada - the Corfiots told me they believed it to be the best beach on the island - but was very busy when we were there in August.  We found wonderful hidden gems all along the North West Coast, especially when we travelled on bikes!  Am sure you will enjoy it all!

Offline Gordonc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »
Old Perithia is well worth a visit. It's an abandoned hill village which is just coming back to life as the road up to it is now tarmac. A couple of nice tavernas set in the slopes just below Pantokrator, lots of abandoned houses and a good photographic opportunities and the scenery is stunning. It's just so peaceful!

Drive through Acharavi and a few kilometres further on you will see a turn off signposted Perithia. Drive into the new Perithia and Old Perithia is clearly signposted. It's about 8 kilometres from the main road and the road up to it is now pretty good.

Echo the other comments expressed, re Kassiopi, Pelekas, Avliotes etc. but Afionas is really beautiful and a personal favourite.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 06:38:50 PM »
There is also another little village near to Pantokrator where we stopped at a taverna after being up the mountain on a coach trip but I will have to try and remember its name -it escapes me at the moment. There is also a place called Makrades on the way back from Paleo where you will find various craft shops.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 06:40:41 PM »
Just found the place I was trying to think of on the map and it is called Strinilas. Only a very small village.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »
Been to all these over the years and it's so nice to try a local (non-toursit) Taverna, the people of Corfu are always so nice!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 02:56:14 AM »
Went to a lovely village this time - Dukades - very, very picturesque and full of character and very lively residents - fantastic historic taverna in the centre called Elizabeths

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »
Hey we went there a few years back!
Nice people  - not much English - but no problem - bit of my limited Greek and signs - sorted!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni