Author Topic: This Will Totally Ruin San Stephanos  (Read 72512 times)

don

Re: This Will Totally Ruin San Stephanos
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2010, 10:58:19 PM »
When are you going this year Valley Girl?...... It seems everyone bar us has given up on late June early July.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2010, 03:36:25 AM »
Don - can't you do early Sept??
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »
Whilst we were out there for the last few weeks, a public meeting was held at Avliotes, when 35 local mayors were present as well as a lot of villagers, and they all signed up to even more protests against the wind farm. The initial petition of over 5000 signatures was suitably ignored by the authorities. It does seem thaty this blot on the landscape is going ahead come what may!!
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »
There does seem to be conflicting info on this, I did hear that it would not now be in San Stefanos but somewhere out to sea, although this would still be visiable by land, how much impact and also where the area for storing energy would be seems to be still vague.  Perhaps anyone who has any contact with the big Tour ops in this area i.e  TUI and Thomas Cook could push this further as both companies do pormote green tourism but for the benefit or all , customers and suppliers, any ideas where we as a forum can take this further perhaps???? ???

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
P.S I do live in Avliotes and so am very interested in this, but there is very little literature in English on this however my husband is Greek and translates to me what is the developing situation. My Greek is fair but when it gets technical I do struggle!!!

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2010, 08:05:26 PM »
The posters and pictures were all around Arillas and they mention some island, and when I asked Dimitris in the Vassillis supermarket, he said it was off SS, and he and Leon both went to the meeting. If the government gets some money to do it, then protests or not I guess it will go ahead (as governments do!!)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2010, 10:56:08 PM »
Any updates to post would be appreciated, as then at least I can let the non Greek speaking residents know any updates you guys may have.  Last I heard it had been deferred, according to local TV channel as it was not an accpetable option for here but who knows?????

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2010, 12:14:35 AM »
maybe the economic situation will prevent it happening.

Offline Sandra W

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2010, 02:06:05 AM »
Fingers crossed
Living the life: Loving the life: Dreaming of San Stef !

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2010, 04:03:41 AM »
I hope this is not funded by the meddling Eurocrats, or that will be the end of it!
I can't believe the Greek Governments stand on this as it impacts on their biggest source of income - Tourism.

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2010, 11:59:20 AM »
It probably is TC, think how many pavements and roads are begun and then just stop completely in the middle of nowhere, and somewhere nearby is a huge board stating how many EU euros were spent doing it. When the money stops- the work stops.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
A bit like the New Avliotes by-pass road, it just stopped - machinery left as it was - unfinished - crazy!

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:28 AM »
A 21st century solution to cheapen an expensively produced resource that everyone uses. What's wrong with that? Put it far enough out into the sea, the fish get a fright for a couple of years while getting built then get wise. People will look out in 30 years time and say what clever idea - why didn't they do that earlier instead of burning all that coal and oil.

Construction jobs as well, good money, and any sensible contractors will live in San Stef bringing much needed revenue to the village. They will be on expenses too and probably spend more per head than the bargain hunting Brits.The locals will be filling their boots and we should encourage increasing their wealth if that's what the majority want. Rememebr there is very little revenue through the winter.

Look at all the hot air wasted in protests in the UK about wind farms, new runways, M25s, oil rig fabrication yards. Once its complete and people get used to it nobody will bother.

This is Loftyscot for BBC Breakfast News :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2010, 02:37:42 AM »
Let's face it. Once upon a time there was a lovely crescent beach and a small harbour serving a village on the top of the hill. Then there was a steady pouring of concrete, a forest of reinforcing steel rods, neon lights, and Lo - SS was born. Anybody thinking that some elegant wind turbines beyond the islands will in any way "spoil" SS really needs to go to SpecSavers! In what particular way the classical beauty of the Condor Bar will be spoiled escapes me!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2010, 01:48:10 AM »
Self-interest will always rule Guys!!

I'm not sure the view will be enhanced by a wind farm and once built and contractors gone - even if they stayed in SS (doubtful),
and the view is one reason people go there - not for the Condor bar though!

Still - if it happens - I guess I'll worry then!
Like you say - it rarely happens that big projects get stopped - Heathrow 3rd Runway was a rare exception, caused by the recession.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni