website > Report Broken Link, incorrect information, Forum rules etc

E-MAIL ADDRESSES

(1/5) > >>

don:
For all those newly registered and quite a few of you who have been long term users of this site. Please look in your PROFILE and hide your E-MAIL ADDRESSES... This is for your own security. Not everyone out there is a nice person.

Zimmer:
I know it's well intentioned good advice by Don but I would add that trhe chances of someone gaining much info from coming on here - of all the sites in all the world - and seeing an e-mail address and stealing your identity is as likely as meeting a camel on Ben Nevis, dont get too neurotic is all I'm saying, doesnt do any harm to hide it, thats true, but it's not like theres a bunch of hackers keepin tabs either, it's like most things in life - proportion

and heres a possibly good piece of advice from "Holiday Truths" site

"When arranging to meet or exchange information with someone you have chatted to on the forums, please remember that you are dealing with a complete stranger.

Don't exchange too many personal details online or by pm, including home address or phone number, and dont divulge your full name. Never go alone to the first few meetings and don't be tempted to divulge too many personal detail at anytime.

Please try and remember during the relaxed holiday atmosphere on the board , that you have been conversing with a total stranger, who could be telling you absolutely anything which may or may not be entirely truthful."

2sanstef:
Good advice from you both and even though I agree that the risk is low I would urge everyone to hide their personal email address on registration or use a hotmail address and NEVER include a personal email address within a post where the risk of them being harvested by spammers is a great deal higher. Believe me when I first started this website in 2001 I included a contact email on the webpage and you would not believe how much crap I received within a very short period of time.

If you wish to contact another member use the Personal Message option as your email address will remain hidden.

Also take note of the good piece of advice from the "Holiday Truths" site

Admin

Zimmer:
May I ask the admin, why the site gives the E-Mail option? would it not be simpler not to have it?

I recommend AVG and Zone Alarm as protection, never had problems - yet - with spam

Jules:
Good advice again. Glad we already know some of you personally on here as well - peace of mind. Would still like to meet other forumsters as well though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni
Go to full version