Author Topic: Cant believe we are back home!  (Read 33203 times)

Offline shellbell

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Cant believe we are back home!
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 10:34:49 AM »
Arrived back 19 June after a week. A typical breezy week that happens in may/June.
Avliotes village festival Sunday 14 June in the olive grove near the tennis court was amazing & a touch of the real Greece rarely seen.
Walk to Arillas the long way via the road & the return over the top is still special.
The walk to Avliotes to see the progress on the by pass was a first as was the return via the football pitch to the tennis courts.
Drive up the mountain to Pantocrator showed how much roads all over the island have improved.
Agios Georgios retains a quiet charm with good cheap greek food at Angelos.
Unfortunately for me San Stefanos IS changing however & not in my view for the better!    The strip between condor & the Athens bar is becoming like Sidari.
The band in the Athens bar sounded fine I could hear them at Kapetanios until well after midnight. Would not mind seeing them at my local on a Friday night but not in SS shared with the rest of the resort, Rockin in the free world is not my favourite track at the best of times & certainly not in my appt with shutters & windows closed 500yrds away.
I know its personal taste & preference but when other bar owners start to try & out do Nickos will our little gem in the north west loose something?
Despite that still looking at Quietude again for two weeks next year with the whole family....hoping the wing is in a different direction.

I have heard about the new road, it begins at kavoudades near the pink villa by the Eko petrol station, is it ending some where near the Arrilas road ?
Hear's hoping SS doesn't end up like Sidari have had some reservations about advances in the village ourselves.When we first went to SS all you could hear was greek music filtering through the night as you sat admiring the lights in the hills, we thought it was sensational. Gouvia started out exactly the same as SS but very quickly became a nightmare are they heading in the same direction?
I really hope not and don't think so! Building is limited by the council, and the "noisy" street shouldn't grow too much more!
If you walk to the other quarter of SS, it's still fairly quiet and plenty of Greek music around!!
Also you mention the Pink Villa, it used to be white but was washed by the lads at the Barras!! LOL!!
athens bar did have the live band on but only for 2 tuesdays then they were off touring the rest of the greek isles to drum up business for when back in u.k. So i dont think its the norm in the athens bar although they do have a couple of guitarist/singers on aswell but not half as loud. The Condor i felt was out of place as a first timer to S.S purely because of the dodgy d.j and the terrible tribute acts not forgetting the drag artist...to be missed!Again if thats what you like then great but for me listening to live music and some greek dancing did me fine on this lovely 2 weeks away! :)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 11:07:57 AM »
Arrived back 19 June after a week. A typical breezy week that happens in may/June.
Avliotes village festival Sunday 14 June in the olive grove near the tennis court was amazing & a touch of the real Greece rarely seen.
Walk to Arillas the long way via the road & the return over the top is still special.
The walk to Avliotes to see the progress on the by pass was a first as was the return via the football pitch to the tennis courts.
Drive up the mountain to Pantocrator showed how much roads all over the island have improved.
Unfortunately for me San Stefanos IS changing however & not in my view for the better!    The strip between condor & the Athens bar is becoming like Sidari.
The band in the Athens bar sounded fine I could hear them at Kapetanios until well after midnight. Would not mind seeing them at my local on a Friday night but not in SS shared with the rest of the resort, Rockin in the free world is not my favourite track at the best of times & certainly not in my appt with shutters & windows closed 500yrds away.
I know its personal taste & preference but when other bar owners start to try & out do Nickos will our little gem in the north west loose something?
Despite that still looking at Quietude again for two weeks next year with the whole family....hoping the wing is in a different direction.

I have heard about the new road, it begins at kavoudades near the pink villa by the Eko petrol station, is it ending some where near the Arrilas road ?
Hear's hoping SS doesn't end up like Sidari have had some reservations about advances in the village ourselves.When we first went to SS all you could hear was greek music filtering through the night as you sat admiring the lights in the hills, we thought it was sensational. Gouvia started out exactly the same as SS but very quickly became a nightmare are they heading in the same direction?
I really hope not and don't think so! Building is limited by the council, and the "noisy" street shouldn't grow too much more!
If you walk to the other quarter of SS, it's still fairly quiet and plenty of Greek music around!!
Also you mention the Pink Villa, it used to be white but was washed by the lads at the Barras!! LOL!!
athens bar did have the live band on but only for 2 tuesdays then they were off touring the rest of the greek isles to drum up business for when back in u.k. So i dont think its the norm in the athens bar although they do have a couple of guitarist/singers on aswell but not half as loud. The Condor i felt was out of place as a first timer to S.S purely because of the dodgy d.j and the terrible tribute acts not forgetting the drag artist...to be missed!Again if thats what you like then great but for me listening to live music and some greek dancing did me fine on this lovely 2 weeks away! :)
The Condor was good last year - but then - they had a good DJ!
Sounds like this year he's not so great.
I will have to have a chat with the owner Stefanos and pass on your comments, he likes constructive feedback!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Holistica

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 02:17:46 PM »
I am amazed that Greek men think they know more about the washing than the girls!! I would never argue - I struggle to turn on the washing machine!! LOL

It amazes me too ........ they know more about washing, soap powders, cooking, cleaning, gardening, driving ( even when they don't drive themselves!), painting, .... the list is endless !  ::) But when it actually comes to doing any of it - you don't see them for dust!! Honestly, I could write a book on the 'Greek Man's Mind' ! 

Tony, at least your man enough to say you struggle to turn the washing machine on! ;)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 02:25:48 PM »
I am amazed that Greek men think they know more about the washing than the girls!! I would never argue - I struggle to turn on the washing machine!! LOL

It amazes me too ........ they know more about washing, soap powders, cooking, cleaning, gardening, driving ( even when they don't drive themselves!), painting, .... the list is endless !  ::) But when it actually comes to doing any of it - you don't see them for dust!! Honestly, I could write a book on the 'Greek Man's Mind' ! 

Tony, at least your man enough to say you struggle to turn the washing machine on! ;)
Well I do make a token effort - the odd wash load - but ALL THOSE DIALS!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »

I hope you sort the coloured wash from the whites first as well lol!! Would hate you to end up with something pink. ;)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

zoe

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »
on some days the water had a yellow tinge to it had to put any white smalls i had washed through a wash with a white booster when i got home

don

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 05:39:40 PM »
on some days the water had a yellow tinge to it had to put any white smalls i had washed through a wash with a white booster when i got home
So your white smalls ended up stained yellow and you blame the tap water? LOL ;) :o :-[

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 03:26:43 AM »

I hope you sort the coloured wash from the whites first as well lol!! Would hate you to end up with something pink. ;)
See - that's what really happened in the Barras!! (plus - they needed pink sheets for don)!! LOL

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 03:27:42 AM »
So your white smalls ended up stained yellow and you blame the tap water? LOL ;) :o :-[
You could have sold those smalls for a fortune!!! LOL

Offline shellbell

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 09:18:18 AM »

I will have to have a chat with the owner Stefanos and pass on your comments, he likes constructive feedback!!
Cheers tony.I did make a comment to my hubby at the time .we could have enjoyed the bar if they had a decent d.j who knew what he was doing, it may have been his first time in greece working cos he only looked about 18/19! Anyway still in awe of their great brekkies so we did go back!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 10:56:27 AM »

Cheers tony.I did make a comment to my hubby at the time .we could have enjoyed the bar if they had a decent d.j who knew what he was doing, it may have been his first time in greece working cos he only looked about 18/19! Anyway still in awe of their great brekkies so we did go back!
Stefanos never hires the same DJ for 2 years on the trot, he has had some great ones who get the place rocking and knows the audience! - - and we have seen some howlers over the years - he has had to sack some half way through!!
He soon works it out from the customers!!

Offline grecophile

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 09:27:21 PM »
No problem with live music loud or otherwise, or even dodgy DJ's or drag acts its when the sound reverberates around the whole place after midnight ..........we all go to SS for different things we like, but I remember liking Sidari 18 years ago & look at it now!
The police at one time patrolled Sidari warning bars to either turn the music down or close the windows!
The bands in my local are loud but you barely hear them 50yrds away never mind 500yrds.
Been back a  week & still got with drawal symtoms. :(

Offline grecophile

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Been back a week.
Where did we eat somewhat predictable!
Evening Meals
Little Prince. 2 nights good family friendly place.
Nafsika 4 nights Great food my wife particularly likes Theodoras Moussaka & the Pastistado tastes like real home cooking the giant beans don't seem to be straight from a tin. The youvetski (the spelling may be wrong) was great, so tasty. In fact my mouth's watering now just thinking of the food there.
Spiro  a good front man.
Tasty Corner 1 night......love the Gyros plate!....wine's not bad either.

Lunches
Little Prince 1 average, enjoyed pitta with tzatsiki.
Tasty Corner 2........Gyros.
Evinos. 2 ......Good greek salad, great views friendly welcome from Yiannis & Spiro.
Angelos 1........Cheat really this is in Agios Giordios(Afionas)    great greek salad only 3.90 euros cheapest & best we had as was the tzatsiki.
Late breakfast stop Sokraki on the way to the mountain Emily's Cafe cheap for the first time ever found somewhere that sells Ginger Beer.
oZZY oil sandwich stop good for a friendly chat.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 01:19:00 AM »
Been back a week.
Evening Meals
Nafsika 4 nights Great food my wife particularly likes Theodoras Moussaka & the Pastistado tastes like real home cooking the giant beans don't seem to be straight from a tin. The youvetski (the spelling may be wrong) was great, so tasty. In fact my mouth's watering now just thinking of the food there.
Spiro  a good front man.

Lunches
Evinos. 2 ......Good greek salad, great views friendly welcome from Yiannis & Spiro.
Angelos 1........Cheat really this is in Agios Giordios(Afionas)    great greek salad only 3.90 euros cheapest & best we had as was the tzatsiki.
Late breakfast stop Sokraki on the way to the mountain Emily's Cafe cheap for the first time ever found somewhere that sells Ginger Beer.
Ozzy Oil / Zest for Life is great for a chat
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 02:25:58 AM »
Been back a week.
Evening Meals
Spiro  a good front man.

Lunches
Ozzy Oil / Zest for Life is great for a chat
And I bet you can Jules!! LOL

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni