Welcome to San Stefanos (NW Corfu) > Out and About

Beware....

<< < (2/5) > >>

Karen:

--- Quote from: eildan on June 28, 2017, 02:27:59 PM ---Beware also of the mounting rubbish piling up again on the beach and in the roads!

--- End quote ---
That's really not good. Something really has to be done about this, as it puts me off going and I'm sure it will others. I wouldn't recommend others go, until this is sorted. I know it's difficult, but it will eventually affect the resort, sorry to say.

Jimbo:
It's not just Agios Stefanos, it's not just Corfu, it's a national strike. It will probably be settled next week, if I read eKathimerini correctly. The situation is worse in Athens, where the temperature is forecast to hit 43o next week. So far it's been twelve days. The issue is the insecurity of workers on short-term contracts. Remember the UK rubbish strike?

--- Quote ---In the centre of London and other major cities, huge piles of rotting rubbish piled up, overrun with rats and a serious health hazard. Inside government, ordinary work almost ground to a halt.
--- End quote ---
BBC

When it's working the rubbish collections are excellent, with daily collections (apart from paper etc). If it goes on much longer I'm sure the local owners will do what they did last year and pay to move the rubbish to a site away from the centre.

eildan:
We have been here four weeks,believe me its been longer than twelve days,even so its not acceptable for any amount of time,it might be in other resorts but we are here now,walking down roads and on the beach full of rubbish not to mention the smell,the locals last year sorted it in their own Greek time!!!hopefully this won't put people off coming to this beautiful island.

Jimbo:
Looks like the strike will be over very soon:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/219651/article/ekathimerini/news/judicial-order-to-force-sanitation-staff-to-work-if-garbage-strike-continues

Karen:
So we are here and the weather has been beautiful today. The beach and sea were fantastic. Nice little breeze. Lamb kleftico with roast potatoes and vegetables was delicious in Nafsika last night. Seemed fairly quiet in the village, albeit Little Prince was busy. Won't mention the rubbish......just to say it's here! Supremes are on in Condor tonight :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni
Go to full version