Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1376041 times)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2014, 09:56:55 PM »
Thanks Lesley, must say the dog is glad its stopped now!
Sorry folks for missing yesterdays update...we have just moved, and are awaiting our internet connection. So this update comes courtesy of three w internet bar....any excuse for a beer eh!
Well, yesterday was still pretty quiet, post easter, then today it was like everyone was out!
First people we saw today was Niko from Ozzy oil,and Shane of zest for life, both back from oz, and busy on the gardening at ozzys. Sandra, Kerry, and the rest of the family will be following in June.
Spiro and Ari's, our neighbors at spiro bikes were around, also doing the gardening, pruning all the trees and shrubs where they keep the bikes and quads.
Lots of painting happening at Athens bar and silver moon, and cleaning at aspa supermarket, an summer dreams bar.
And,as for ourselves, lots of sorting stock and trying to find homes for everything!
Will try and post daily, depends on how often I can sneak to three w for a beer, although hopefully we will have our own connection soon!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
Having asked around 3 Kafeneions in the village re the dynamite I am told it is from old customs prior to the fireworks which most do now...hence they keep the old customs and explode this stuff ....wow my house shock numerous occasions specially yesterday Tuesday for the village of Avliotes Litania Parade.......????? ??? ;) 8)
That probably explains why some of the old men are minus a few fingers.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2014, 02:16:16 AM »
Can you imagine the Health and Safety brigade here if people started letting off dynamite!

They would have a fit and you would be arrested by armed police.

My son us getting married in San Steph in July and we were offered dynamite, I suggested fireworks might be simpler!

Andy

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2014, 02:38:47 AM »
You live with dynamite every day. Don't tell her I said that!

Offline Googleberry1811

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2014, 03:51:04 PM »

My son us getting married in San Steph in July and we were offered dynamite, I suggested fireworks might be simpler!

Andy

We got married in San Stef last year Andy and had the fireworks, it was certainly a spectacle, a strong breeze set them all off at the same time and although my guests were impressed I think the rest of the village thought they were under attack!!!

Offline Ioanna

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
Having asked around 3 Kafeneions in the village re the dynamite I am told it is from old customs prior to the fireworks which most do now...hence they keep the old customs and explode this stuff ....wow my house shock numerous occasions specially yesterday Tuesday for the village of Avliotes Litania Parade.......????? ??? ;) 8)
I was watching a video that was on Face Book showing the Avliotes Litania Parade suddenly there was an almighty explosion as the band was marching through the village , setting off numerous car alarms . It certainly made me jump !!! Another use for dynamite which I have personally witnessed is to stun fish , this I understand is highly illegal !

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »
Hi folks,
Still waiting for our internet connection,  so today's update is courtesy of internet at the night owl in afionas!
Well, the last few days has seen alot of work going on. Everything is being scrubbed, painted, or pressure washed!
Everyone is at it, Athens bar, zorbas, Thomas bay, summer dreams, little prince, two stars, zest for life, and us, to name a few!Our landlord enjoys pressure washing so much, he very kindly did our cars too.
Tasty corner is also open for business, and doing quite a brisk trade.
Will do another update when on line Again

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2014, 09:45:38 PM »
looking foward to seeing the village come to life and eat at tasty corner on wednesday for our 4 day long weekend trip

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »
Just briefly on line, so a quick update......I so need my own internet!
Anyway, it may be Sunday, but we are still working, getting ready for next weekend, when I think many will be open.
Shane was at zest for life today, cleaning all his crockery, and Olga's travel was setting up.
All tables and chairs are in place in two stars, and the sound of Strummer's and pressure washers fill the air.
A slightly overcast morning has given way to a gorgeous sunny hot afternoon.....summers here!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »
Another quick update courtesy of three w internet.
Unfortunately not good weather today, wet until mid afternoon, but the sun did manage to peek through by the end of the afternoon.
There are a few early guests here, and with tour operator flights starting this weekend, more will soon be arriving.
Tables and chairs suddenly appearing ready for guests arrival.
Barras is now all set up, and lots of cleaning happening at little prince.
Nothing much happening at the old sundowner now.....it seems to have come to a halt, although there is work going on in the old Chinese.....
Manthos and kamini bar were also cleaning, inside and out, despite the weather.
Hopefully the weather will pick up soon.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:19 PM »
"Work at the old Chinese......" My word, what can this mean? What will appear?

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2014, 12:52:03 AM »
You live with dynamite every day. Don't tell her I said that!

Already told her Jimbo and she has an explosive personality!

You will need to buy Gill a Carafe of wine at the Little Prince to calm her down ;D ;D

Andy

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2014, 12:54:53 AM »
Another quick update courtesy of three w internet.
Unfortunately not good weather today, wet until mid afternoon, but the sun did manage to peek through by the end of the afternoon.
There are a few early guests here, and with tour operator flights starting this weekend, more will soon be arriving.
Tables and chairs suddenly appearing ready for guests arrival.
Barras is now all set up, and lots of cleaning happening at little prince.
Nothing much happening at the old sundowner now.....it seems to have come to a halt, although there is work going on in the old Chinese.....
Manthos and kamini bar were also cleaning, inside and out, despite the weather.
Hopefully the weather will pick up soon.

We were in Kassiopi en-route to San Steph this time last year and it was sunny and 30c!

What a difference a year makes :'(

Andy

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2014, 11:56:20 PM »
Keep looking at the log range forecast for our arrival in 3 weeks time, but slightly concerned by the low temps at the moment.  Are we worrying too much?!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gr/aghios-stefanos/1274957/may-weather/1274957?monyr=5/1/2014

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
Morning all,
Woodman, I wouldn't worry to much, the long range is not always correct, and you will still be in San stef, whatever the weather!
Yesterday was wet and dull, until mid afternoon when the sun reappeared, and today is gloriously sunny, just a little breezy.
So, work has stopped again at the old Chinese, so who knows if anyone is opening there!
Mediterranean village are busy cleaning, and Spiro is polishing all his quads and scooters.
Velantis and Dora are at San Stefano car hire this morning, getting set up, and tsaros cars are all gleaming ready for use, and their pool has just been re filled.
So much going on.....to quote Nikos at Athens bar, we all need to open to have a rest!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni