Author Topic: New to Corfu & San Stefanos!  (Read 11367 times)

Offline duffi63

• View Profile
New to Corfu & San Stefanos!
« on: February 08, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »
Hi - we decided that after 25 years of going to various places in Greece & visiting practically all the Ionian Islands as well as Parga & Gialova on the Ionian sea we thought that maybe we ought to try Corfu :) We've booked independently since 2005 so after weeks of trawling the internet looking at all the resorts with a sandy beach I narrowed it down to Agios Gordis & San Stefanos (NW). They both look gorgeous but we decided on San Stefanos mainly because I found a lovely apartment at Margarita Suites - we have the upstairs Sunflower apartment which looks wonderful & very luxurious for Greece ;) so I'm hoping that someone will tell me that I've made a good choice. I'd like to know a bit more about the area?? Is it busy (we'll be there from 8th July) noisy or peaceful - anything you can tell me would be much appreciated??
We will have 2 teenagers with us but as long as there's a good beach & a pool nearby that they can use then they'll be happy :) & as we'll have a car for the fortnight we will definitely have a look at the whole Island as well as a couple of trips to the water park which looks fab.
We don't really like bars but love trying different tavernas & ones by the waters edge are our favourite :)

So if anyone can give me any information about what we can expect from San Stefanos or tell me about must see places to visit I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks
Diane

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: New to Corfu & San Stefanos!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »
Great choice of accommodation at Margaritas right on the sandy beach and plenty of pools nearby for the kiddies you will be more then happy..... its a small compact resort so you can walk and experience everything you see via the various posts via the forum enjoy your hols am sure you will.......welcome .......

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
The only noise you'll get there will be the waves on the beach - and maybe a little quiet music from Summer Dreams. Perfectly poised about ten yards from the sand.

Some of the best tavernas are within 100 yards. The faintly throbbing heart of the new village is maybe 250 yards away.

Unless you want to walk uphill, the village is quite compact, and there's no need to train in the gym before you go. You will look out at the offshore islands and, to the right, the mountains of Albania.

Agios Stephanos is a very safe place. You will be able to let the teenagers out without worrying. There are several pools within a short distance. You can eat well, swim well, chat well, relax well, sit on the balcony with a glass of something and watch the fiery gold sun redden as it falls into the purple haze above Mithraki. Just a few yards away you have three of the four goddesses of the village: Noula, Sally and Cerys, who will gladly advise on roads, paths, boat trips, boat hire, riding, cash, weddings, divorces and so on.

Why am I doing this? Please don't fall in love with the place - there's not much room left!

Offline anniefuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:08:51 AM »

We have been to San Stefanos many times since we fell in love with the Greek Islands almost forty years ago.

Stayed at Margaritas a few years ago and they are fantastic and as Jimbo says the views from upstairs are breath taking  ---you are literally seconds from a beautiful sandy beach.

Supermarket practically next door and of plenty tavernas to eat out and bars for a nightcap . What else do you need.

It is a magical place as far as we are concerned.

Once you have been you want to go back time and time again.

Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:15:42 PM »
Great choice for your holiday in Corfu. San Stefanos is a lovely safe village , no lager louts and all the locals are very friendly . Plenty of tavernas for you to eat in a different one each night if you so wish as well. :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline duffi63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 05:24:50 PM »
Thank you very much for all your replies :) It sounds as though we've made a good choice & I'm really looking forward to my first holiday in Corfu :) I was a bit dubious about booking somewhere without a pool but it seems as though there are lots to use which is good. My son loves the Gerald Durrell books so we're hoping to visit the areas mentioned in the books, so if anybody has any advice about where to look I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again

Diane  :)

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:34:50 PM »
Diane as you will be with a car head out on the Northern coastal road towards Kassiopi and down the NE coast towards Koulara & Kalami also in the town area there are the Durrell gardens.  Let me find you a link as there is a Durrell group and society here you may wan to contact in advance.

Offline rae21

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »
Great choice Diane would recommend Athina pool just down the beach from you 5 euros per sun bed you get a ticket which you can redeem for food and drinks great value.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »
Another interesting link about the Corfiot Villages as the island has so many to visit so also of interest for walkers and those with car hire would be http://www.corfuvillages.eu/ a set of 3 books eventually 2 are now available as of now......... the websites give info on how to order download etc.........
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:34:21 PM by Lesley »

Offline duffi63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:08:04 AM »
Thanks Rae21 for info about the Athina pool, that sounds good & Lesley thank you for those links they're great & will definitely help in our quest  :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni