Author Topic: Holiday review  (Read 12472 times)

Kernowfox

Holiday review
« on: October 05, 2013, 11:34:48 PM »
Just returned home to sunny Cornwall after 2 weeks so for those that may be interested here is our review on all sorts : all marks out of 10

Accomodation -Tsaros - friendly, good quality, hill no real issue, shower floods the bathroom no matter how carefull you try not to. Based on all factors 7  (previous visits gave Athina 8 and Romanza 6

Trips - arranged without hitch at competitive prices by San Stef Travel 10

Supermarkets- Margarites 5 (prices fine but grumpy service every day) Sam's - similar prices but friendly 9

Restaurants food/atmosphere
Ozzy Oil 10/7
Yiannis 8/7
Little Prince 6/9
Two Stars 5/6
Nafsica 5/5

Great breakfasts at Portofino in Arrilas - walked over on a couple of day

Nice walk to St George South - worth the effort

Great holiday - only near miss was donought man racing like a crazy xxxxxxx off the beach in his red Clio - earlier noticed he was having a bad day at the office

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday review
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 01:25:40 AM »
Excellent review Kernowfox. We also walked over to Ariilas a few times earlier this year for lunch. We also walked to Afonias, Peroulades and Agios Georgios North. Wow did you really walk to St George South or did you mean Agios Georgios North via Arillas, St Georges South seems too far to walk to from Sans Stefanos but if you did manage it how long did it take you?

Kernowfox

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 01:34:45 AM »
Thanks Lilly sounds like I got it completely wrong re the walk !! From San Stef walked to Arrilas then to the end down by Marina walked up through the olive groves to the next cove which takes about an hour.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:48:08 AM »
Ah Agios Georgios North then, yes a lovely walk and quite steep in places but like you say well worth the effort. We always enjoy this walk, just so peaceful with beautiful scenery. Roll on next summer and our next visit to Sans Stefanos, going to Spain in January but counting the days to next summer already. :) :)

Offline holidaygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:02:49 PM »
back from san stefanos stopped at the rose garden, lovely place, lovely people, it was our first visit there, but i shall return again. big thankyou to olimpia resturant for there wonderful food, and summer dreams which was lovely and relaxing, san stefanos travel were absolutly brilliant, the gift shops were very nice to, lovely little bit,s and bobs to bring home. already counting down to next year!!

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 10:30:47 PM »
Kernowfox, review 5 out of 10.  You aren't a banker by any chance are you?  ;).  Seriously, good to read your review.  It seems like you had a good holiday.

Holidaygirl, the wife and I are staying at the Rose Gardens next year for the first time.  Good place?

Kernowfox

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 01:14:55 AM »
Thanks for your comments Rod , interesting re banker (?!)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 01:27:34 AM »
Well, here we are again back in the cold gales and nasty rain. These comments can be a bit repetitive so I'll stick to the main points:

July

Hot and lovely. So hot we didn't make it up the hill to Akrotiri, but enjoyed the wonderful views from Anatoli. This was our first DIY to Agios Stephanos, and transfers were very well-organised by Michalis and Katie.

It was very busy at the north end of the beach (from the stream towards Mango and Havana) but fairly quiet at the "old" end, because there was a bit of seaweed at the edge of the water. We liked that. Wade out twenty feet and have it more or less all to yourselves. Many good lunches with the very nice people at Mistral. As usual, great to meet friends: Lesley, David and Sally, the Little Prince people and the boys and girls at Nafsika.

Had a great haircut and beard trim from Patricia.

September/October

Went with Thomson from Doncaster and stayed at Little Prince.

Bus transfers just over an hour, because they don't drop off in Corfu Town or go via Sidari. The views are actually better than from a taxi. Don't knock the bus!

Little Prince's rooms are wonderfully big. Masses of space. Shower cubicles. Great warmth of hugs from Dimitris, Michalis, Pippina and the lads.

I went looking a bit scruffy because I'd not had a haircut before I went. Patricia waved her magic scissors again, and I lost ten years in a snip. The woman in the next chair was transformed from dinner-lady to goddess, and we looked at each other with a sudden understanding that desire was still possible.

Lovely to meet Tony Cox and Linda, Chris 2, see Gill and Andy, David and Sally, Lesley, Aris and many old friends in the village. Where else do you get a kiss from the lady in the supermarket?

The weather was very mixed. At first warm, then cold wind and rain. October is a gamble: last year was very warm, this year not so. But we walked to Logas near Peroulades, Arillas, had lunch in Elias, where we met some lovely people from Bute who knew one of my friend's father. We did a lot of crosswords!

Had some fun evenings - football at Athens Bar - dancing at Zorbas and Little Prince. Quiz at Nafsika (2nd first week, 1st second week).

I did quite a lot of writing, and Spiros at Nafiska was, as usual, a fount of knowledge and inspiration. Plus the most delicious and tender veal Sofrito to provide fuel.

So - as usual - friendship, warmth, either from the sun or the people or both - and a sense of being in a home from home, plus some time together, made it a recipe for relaxation and simple pleasure.

Tidy-up and beard trim from Patricia the day before leaving. Lightning and lashing rain as we woke up to get the bus, but no problems, and the flight was 20 minutes early landing.

Agios Stephanos is a lovely place to be. It's not cute, it's not posh, it's just itself, and long may it be so!

Offline dibully

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:43:18 AM »
Loved the review Jimbo hope our paths cross again soon our love to Gillie x

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »
Loved the last line sum up. It is a great way to describe this wonderful holiday resort..
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Hotxprezz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »
Loved the last line sum up. It is a great way to describe this wonderful holiday resort..

I have to say that I agree with Jules...the last line truly does sum up San Stef to a T...as for the lady in the supermarket...I collected my goodbye kiss on friday gone...until May 2014  :) !! xoxo
Ker :-) !! xoxo

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
 We also enjoyed a meal with Tony Cox and Linda when we were there in September and did catch a quick glimpse of you and your lovely wife
  when you were dining with them at Fantasea.Unfortunately didn't have time to stop and chat as we were just saying our goobyes to
 Konstantinos before meeting friends at Manthos.You know what it's like on your last evening got to do the rounds.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »
We likewise had a Great Holiday as usual and met many friends again.
We managed to have meals with George and Lesley, Jim & Gillie, Mary and Dupnica,
Kay & Nigel, Alan & Carole, Kerri & Micky, Met up with Chris2 and Family,
Met John and Lorraine most days walking around and quite a few others whose names escape me, (sorry! you know who you are),
- - - - but whose faces we have seen many times & with who we have had many pleasant conversations with before.

We stayed at Margaritas Apartments, in the Crystal Daisy suite, really nice.... right on the beach
and a great place to chill on the veranda with a cup of tea or a glass of wine, after a nice day on the beach.
We can't tell you how much we enjoyed staying there - -fantastic!!!
It's such a shame it wasn't available for my holiday next year, but ! hey! the next holiday after that - -we'll try again..
The girls in San Stefanos Travel were all brilliant as usual and made our stay even better.

We ate at almost all the restaurants and didn't have a meal that was below par... lovely.
Manthos, Fantasea, Beachcomber, Nafsika, Little Prince, Ozzie Oils, Medditerian Village, Waves, Two Stars and Olympia,
as well as Illios in Avliotes which was excellent as usual, my favourite Souvlaki anywhere.

We didn't manage to get up to Romanza for the BBQ, this time, but really enjoyed the Terezas party night as always.
(thanks for the lift there SSTravel)... Lovely to see you for a drink as well....

We did the usual round of nice evenings in the various bars of San Stefanos, and had lots of great conversations over a drink.
Enjoyed Keith Mitchell's gigs at the Athens Bar, convivial nights in Glens Aquarious Bar,  Karoake in the Thomas Bay, a show in the Condor,
Bar 38, Lovely chat with Spiros in the Athina Hotel Bar, Summer Dreams, Kamini etc etc

We also enjoyed Lunches at Manthos, Waves, Fantasea, Summer Dreams, Havana Bar where we caught up on things with Spiros and also the Mango one day - all very good.
We always go to see Nikos at the Akrotiri Bar and this year was no different - -lovely few hours there chilling and enjoying lunch and drinks - - what views!!!

We spent every day on the beach in front of Waves, apart from a few times in front of Mango on the nice comfortable beds there.
The sunbeds in front of Waves, Mistral and Manthos were free, (off season), but obviously you would get drinks or Lunch there.

Already booked for next year in June/July - managed to do a good package with Easyjet and booked on a Tuesday and Saturday return, sourcing cheap flights on those days.
I saved approx £260 just by flying different days than Mon & Friday, and booked a 2 week and 4 day holiday,
the extra 4 days paid for by the flight savings and a nice discount on my booking so everyone was happy in the end.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:29:40 AM by tonyco1 »
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
  • My name is Bee and I am a San Stefanos addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 05:33:27 PM »
So pleased you had a lovely holiday, I am very envious of you being able to get a late break.  Kay and I look forward to meeting you and Linda next year :) 

Where are you staying??

Bee x

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 06:16:40 AM »
A short distance from you Bee, about 120 metres along the road...
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni