Author Topic: San Stefanos Thoughts Part2  (Read 7271 times)

Offline mythos2

• View Profile
San Stefanos Thoughts Part2
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »
We made our first visit to San Stefanos on June 21st 2013 and after reading the comments posted on this forum and other comments from people who’d been we were expecting a wonderful holiday.  We weren’t disappointed. 
We were staying in the Barras apartments and had read slightly conflicting reports but we had little reason to complain.  The only downside about our very spacious apartment was the kettle was in need of – well needed replacing.  We even found the frogs chorus amusing and once we’d closed all the doors and had the air con going they didn’t bother us one bit.  The rooms were cleaned everyday bar the Sunday and the towels etc changed around three times a week.  Believe me, we’ve had far worse.  The bar area was excellent but one criticism and one that we would level at a few of the places we visited, Mythos should be served in a Mythos glass!!!  Having a Mythos whether draft or bottled doesn’t look right in an Amstel glass, nor an Alpha glass.  Nitpicking maybe, but standards had been set.  Also they didn’t stock Corfu beer – I know the reasons why and that will be a separate story.
Because of the number of restaurants available we didn’t get the chance to dine in the Barras one but that’s because we had so much choice.
The San Stefanos resort has something to suit just about everyone and the beach in excellent.  Those sun beds outside Mango are almost as comfy as a soft bed!  Kostas just further along has good ones as well.  The choice of where to eat at lunchtime is as good as you’ll find almost anywhere and you can make them suit any budget.  On one side of the beach there’s The Havana bar, Mango bar and Athenia all with a great selection of food and drink but again Mythos in an Amstel glass – no thank you!  Over the bridge the two other bars really meet all requirements.  Waves and Mistral are excellent and yes Mythos as it should be and eating a light lunch, sipping Mythos from an ice cold glass and listening to the almost haunting Greek music is something special. 
The night life has something to suit most tastes and along what we called ‘The Strip’ you had the Elvis impersonators, Karaoke, Motown nights and more besides.  That’s not for me though as I preferred the old town.  Dining overlooking the sea is what we love about Corfu but we didn’t just shun the sounds of music; we became early evening regulars in El Greco and started to use it as the place for a nightcap as well.  The place deserves a special mention in a separate post as does Summer Dreams, surely a place deserving of more custom.  Both El Greco and Summer Dreams do the Corfu brewery products justice.
So just to sum up this initial post San Stefanos is just about the ideal resort if you like a mix of everything.  Not as quiet as Arilas but not as lively as Sidari.  Nobody is in your face trying to tempt in into places or sell you things and you can still get that old Greek feeling about being in a different time zone.  We had our two weeks and loved every minute apart from the early mosquito attacks on the other half of the Mythos2 – they left me alone though.   

Hope people don't mind my posts but I do like to spread the word and share thoughts.

Gavlah1973

Re: San Stefanos Thoughts Part2
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
The reason a lot of restaurants etc don't sell Corfu beer is the short shelf life due to it being a real ale. Couple of places told us that they had tried it but it hadnt sold so had cost them money.

One guy told me that they'd not even popped in to see him to see if he wanted to stock it!!
I think the price puts folk off too.
Its on average around 70c - €1 more than a Mythos..... will put off folk on a budget

I tried all 3 of their products as I work for a brewery over here.
Liked the Pilsner and the one with the red label. The dark Porter style was ok but way too heavy to drink in the hot weather

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
We had our 2nd trip to SS in June this year (our honeymoon).  Didn't try the Corfu beer on our first trip - I only found out about it after we returned last year, so I couldn't wait to try it this time. Couldn't agree more with Gavlah - the dark ale was far too heavy in the warm weather, Pilsner much more suitable! Wish I could try it here, had to settle for Mythos from Tesco!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:19:55 PM by Woodman »

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 09:29:22 PM »
Don't mind your posts at all Mythos2. It is always great to read about San Stef through the eyes of a "newbie". Hope to read many more of your posts.  :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 05:35:40 PM »
Just back yesterday from San Stef after a fortnight's holiday.  This was our ninth visit, but missed last year so we saw a few changes!! Weather was brilliant.  We spent every day on the beach (down at the nudie end!!) as it's much quieter, which we prefer. We did see changes in the beach whilst we were there. We would walk from the beach about 4.30 to 5pm. and sometimes, near Havana bar, the sea had come in so that first row of sunbeds were sitting in the sea!!  Beach seemed wider between the last sunbeds and nudist area. The outcrop near the cliffs was being eroded away on a daily basis and people were having to climb up some rocks to get to the far beach around the corner. Also down that end, there was a lot of rubbish, some of it washed in by the sea, but some of it definitely dumped by ignorant people.  There also seemed to be a lot of overflowing rubbish bins in the streets, not sure why, maybe local council cuts?  Our first week was relatively quiet, but the second week saw an influx of young families and young teenagers, which is great for the resort as they are their future visitors.  However, although we are young at heart and up for a good laugh, we did find it rather boisterous with some of the young teenagers at times! Although they were all very well behaved!  Bar 38 has always been one of our late night haunts, as we have known Spiros for a number of years (as have a lot of you regulars) but his bar seemed to have turned into the local youth club!  Again the local youth are no problem, but some evenings we were the only ones over 16!! Always ate at the Nafsika, our favourite restaurant.  Spiros and staff always attentive and 'on the ball'.  We both love the food there.  Whilst we were there, a young english couple were having their wedding reception there.  It looked really lovely and well organised by Spiros.  I'm sorry some of this sounds negative, but they are our thoughts and findings, but we will certainly be returning next year!!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:18:47 AM »
Totally agree..... our Thomson girl couldn't believe the average age of some of the folk that turned up in our second week. Bar38 looked way too young a crowd for us

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »
We have never seen large groups of young people whilst on holiday. Usually people just a bit younger but mostly about our age or older than us.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Gavlah1973

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
It was deffo noticable Jules. I went out for a walk one day when the Rugby was due to on.Saw a couple of groups of younger lads knocking about.
There was a big wedding group at Nafsica and also that boxing so it may have been that?

Me and Don watched a right pair of young lads acting like idiots walking up and down past Little Prince on night

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »
We too have never seen so many youngsters in San Stef until last week.  As I've said, they really weren't a problem to us, we have teenage grandchildren ourselves, but we have to accept change and if it's profitable for the local business people then that can only be a good thing.  But several regulars were of the same opinion as us and were leaving said bar in numbers.  It won't stop us going to San Stef because of the warm welcome we always receive, but will just make us single out 'age appropriate' venues to spend time in the evenings. (I'm sounding like my parents now!!)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni