Author Topic: Laptops, iPads, Tablets, Kindles and phones......  (Read 18825 times)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Laptops, iPads, Tablets, Kindles and phones......
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »
That's the reason we take our Ipod Touch Rover. Just slips into your pocket . Gets internet round the pool as well.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 01:51:20 AM »
Jules, you will also have noticed that it rarely, if ever 'crashes'. Superb piece of kit.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 02:48:26 AM »
Well we don't take any gizmos with us.just a mobile for general txt.for us a holiday is to be away from the pressures of working.to be in anothercountry?  and enjoy their way of life.to be together and enjoy each others company.books and tablets don't come in to it.the art of comunication is drifting slowly away.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 04:01:48 AM »
Bee you can also nip into the Thomas Bay or Athina Hotels - they also have P A Y G  - PC's for anyone to use.

And I can say that Jimbo is absolutely right regarding screens - - E-Ink Technology is the only good E-Reader in the sunshine.
But fancy boasting that you have a 24 -incher on the net - - - I can see the long line of lusty widows lining up now!!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
You are right Rover. The Ipod Touch takes no room up for travelling with either. Easily picks up any available Wifi.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »
It does Jules, but it's a little limited, so the iphone (or as I now have a Galaxy S3) is better, does it all....
besides text and phone calls, Music - films - video - and better communications all round.
The blessing of a phone is you can use "Whats App" which gives free messenger or texts, plus you can send video clips or photos - via wifi - all free of charge.
But disable data roaming of face charges.
Linda does use her iTouch as well as the phone, but just to save battery.
Nothing beats a Kindle or the like, with E-Ink technology for reading in the sun.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »
I also have my Galaxy which would only be used for emergencies. The only real thing the Ipod Touch doesn't do is make phone calls. I now have a new camera that also has wifi

Offline Gillywoo

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »
Having enjoyed reading books for decades I was dead against a kindle but last Christmas Gill (against my wishes) brought me a kindle paper light and I haven't looked back.

On holiday they are great, so light and easy to read in the sun. If you run out of books you just go to a wi FI zone and buy a new one which arrives in seconds. I wouldn't take a book on holiday now but I agree with Jimbo, if you want to read buy a kindle not a tablet as you can't read them in bright conditions. The face of the kindle isn't glass so does not reflect the light.

Andy

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »
I think it's "Paperwhite," Andy! But "light" is right.

As I'm a writer with a degree in English, people expect me to jump and down and rail against this new-fangled stuff. But printed books are relatively recent technology, and widespread publication didn't really happen until the 19th Century. A very large number of people in this forum will remember the first Penguin paper-backs. Books are great - they smell nice - they feel nice. But all reading is good, and I tend to read for the content, not the smell, and certainly not the weight of a thousand page hard-back.

It's also giving a lot of new writers possibilities to publish which the paper publishing houses never have.

And when was there a time before this that one could read in bed with the light out?

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 01:05:36 AM »
I'm an avid reader and still read 'real' books, but wouldn't be without my kindle - I still get a real thrill when I download something because I don't fancy what I have to read - and it arrives by 'whisper net!'  WOW.

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 10:21:05 PM »
Bought a really good 'multi' charger yesterday - it will charge our iPods, iPad, Samsung phones and kindles. It's called Juice, bought it in JLewis for 14.99. Saves taking lots of different chargers on hols :)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 12:04:30 AM »
Thanks for that Teamnickos - anything to save space helps

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 01:02:21 AM »
Tony - whats app is great but the one I use the most is VIBER -does the same as whats app but think more reliable - free calls daily for me to Austraalia

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni