Author Topic: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?  (Read 75789 times)

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2013, 01:01:26 AM »
I used to be a smoker - gave up 20+ years ago.
My wife and I have v much enjoyed the smoking ban in the UK in bars and restaurants and i genuinely cant believe that smoking was legal in bars and restaurants a few years ago.
As for abroad in Europe the ban varies.
In Portugal where we go on the Algarve some bars are allowed a smoking and non-smoking zone; crazy thing is an indoor bar can still allow smoking in a designated area - as u can imagine in a busy bar the smoke soon invades the non-smoking area.

In many Greek bars we've been in they dont seem to take much notice or enforce any ban.

In Fuerteventura where we've been a number of times in recent years most bars/restaurants do enforce it - outside is where people are allowed to smoke. And that's v nice for us.

If we were sat in a bar whilst on hols abroad, in a no-smoking area and someone lit up i'd probably say something and if the person continued i'd probably grab the ciggie and crush it.
If i was outside eating and someone lit up on the table next to me and the smoke was encroaching on us whilst eating i'd politely ask the 'offender' to move; if he/she didnt and the smoke continued to directly affect us i'd probably grab the ciggie and crush it.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2013, 01:37:19 AM »
Bristle Boy - some years ago Gillie and I were in Stoupa and we went for supper in a taverna overlooking the sea. We picked a table on the edge. There was a boat moored below and the diesel had spilled. The smell was very strong. There were very few people in the place and we moved to a table in the middle, quite a long way from the only other couple.

Towards the end of the evening, one of the two diners (shaved head, piggy eyes) came over and said that our smoking had ruined their evening. I pointed out that (a) we were quite a long way from them (b) there was a jerry-can leaking diesel and that was what had tainted everyone's supper. He threatened to throw me on the rocks twenty feet below. I told him to go and do something proverbial to himself.

As he was grabbing me the staff rushed over and restrained him - profoundly puzzled by this - as most Greeks are - shouting "It's outside!!!"

Quite right - ask people politely not to do what they are perfectly entitled to do. Very politely. Remember that this is a request, not a legal requirement.

I think Tony and Linda will testify that when asked if they minded us smoking, and they said please don't, we did not. We didn't complain. The company was more important than the cigarette.

If I can move, so can you. Somewhat depends upon who sat down first.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:31:15 AM by Jimbo »

Gavlah1973

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2013, 02:23:47 AM »
Fancy a pint Jim?!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2013, 10:34:50 AM »
Yeah - I'll have a pint of Brakspeare, please.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
Oxford Gold?

Offline Jaxbubbles

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »
I dont agree with people smoking when eating even if its outside. People should think of other peoples health. My Mum suffered from breathing problems and would have found it hard to breath if a smoker was near her.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2013, 07:13:05 PM »
I don't agree with many things in life but it is a little bit of give and take on both sides, the fact is that smoking is allowed in Greece so anyone that is doing so is not breaking any laws, we are talking mainly about a two week holiday, the other fifty weeks of the year spent in the Uk the ban is in force but Greece is not the UK and therefore the smoking ban does not apply.
On holiday I just aim to have a good time and I won't be spending anytime on thinking about the habits of others for the sake of two weeks but if others peoples habits bothered me so much then I would not visit Greece or other countries but would instead opt for a desert island on which to holiday.
Jules penned a spot on post earlier in this thread.

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »

If we were sat in a bar whilst on hols abroad, in a no-smoking area and someone lit up i'd probably say something and if the person continued i'd probably grab the ciggie and crush it.
If i was outside eating and someone lit up on the table next to me and the smoke was encroaching on us whilst eating i'd politely ask the 'offender' to move; if he/she didnt and the smoke continued to directly affect us i'd probably grab the ciggie and crush it.

Give & take - that's the spirit! Like I said earlier I stopped 18 months ago but when I did smoke if someone had carried on in that vein they would have been spending the rest of their hols in Corfu General.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »
I said something to that effect last night, but withdrew it.

Asking politely is not asking if only one result is acceptable. It's illegal bullying, assault, behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace etc.

Smoking outside is legal in the UK as well as Greece, and when the Arctic weather recedes I fully expect and intend to be doing so at my local wine bars, let alone in Ag Stef in the summer.

The absolutely last way to persuade anybody to move is to be aggressive.

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2013, 09:25:54 PM »
I agree, aggression will get you nowhere and rightly so. Perhaps the 'crushing of the cigarette' may depend on whether the smoker is an heavily built 6ft man who has the potential to wrap you around the nearest lampost or a little old dear  (easy target), then again she could always hit you with her handbag. Nobody has a right to crush other peoples property or indeed dictate to others, you can ask politely but like Jimbo points out, it is not asking if only one result is acceptable.

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2013, 11:37:56 PM »
Seems like i upset a few ;)

The irony of people smoking on a table next to us, whilst al fresco, is never lost on us when one person is smoking and deliberately blows his/her smoke away from their party on their table with no regard for 'strangers' sat next to them on another table.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2013, 12:25:40 AM »
Have you actually got any legs? Had it ever crossed your tiny mind that you could move?

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2013, 12:36:48 AM »
Seems like i upset a few ;)

The irony of people smoking on a table next to us, whilst al fresco, is never lost on us when one person is smoking and deliberately blows his/her smoke away from their party on their table with no regard for 'strangers' sat next to them on another table.

I wouldn't worry about it Bristle.

Being an ex smoker (less than 1 year quit after smoking for 15+) I can see both sides of the argument. The part that gets me though is when smokers force their habit and smell (yes smokers smell) on children whether inside or out. No child deserves to have their clothes smelling of smoke and I hope I don't run into this situation when on holiday this year.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2013, 12:46:05 AM »
I think piddling in the sea when young children are playing is a worse habit.,,,,,kind of peeing al fresco.

Offline Bristle Boy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2013, 01:23:50 AM »
Have you actually got any legs? Had it ever crossed your tiny mind that you could move?

"Tiny mind"??? Hmmm........
Smoking and inflicting it on others isn't exactly the actions of an educated mind.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni