Author Topic: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?  (Read 75749 times)

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking while dining Alfresco ?
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 07:51:29 PM »
I agree cigarette smoke is not a pleasant smell but I find it difficult to believe that meals and holidays can be ruined by the odd smoker in the outside area of a taverna.  ???
Usually these are open on three sides even if they have a roof. There is usually a sea breeze and I can't think that clothes and hair will smell with all the swims, showers and time spent in the open air. If it really is so bad to you then why not mention it, politely, to the the smoking table and I'm sure they would happily move. I have observed non-smokers being very rude and "telling" others to stop it and how disgusting they are. We are not in England and it is allowed and it is so wonderful for a smoker not to have to always lurk about feeling like a pariah. Let's face it, we all love to watch the Greek dancing. The amount of barbecue fuel that is used every evening is huge and the smell not very nice at all and certainly not good for us but we love the spectacle and know we would never be allowed to set light to tables and floors in England in this way!!  ;D  Let's just be tolerant.

I have just given up smoking - not had one since October! Bet you don't believe me those of you who know me, but it's true.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 09:57:57 PM »
Good post there Gillie, tolerance , live and let live values come through in yours and many posts on this thread, values and rules for living that we certainly share , and have brought our children up to appreciate.I was in two minds before posting. It was triggered after we had an expensive meal spoilt by regular smoking from all sides around our evening meal. Just wondered what people thought? where the line is etc? I got the feeling that as the smokers were in the majority, all engaging in the habit, that they no longer felt they needed to consider the comfort of others. Not one smoker asked if it would be a problem for us or our child. I wonder if over time regular smokers become entirely desensitised  to the smell and impact of smoke in semi alfresco environments. I have choice were I travel to, how close I would sit my children to fire shows etc. I'm certainly not a health and safety guru, but given the choice , I would, without fuss or judgement , always attempt to sit my family away from other people's smoke, especially when eating. Given the present management of smoking in the uk it can be a bit of a shock on holiday, especially for children.

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »
Has anyone ever farted (silently) when eating Al Fresco in San Stef ?

Given the amounts of marinated food and gassy Mythos consumed by Forum members I can't belive everybody manages to hold it in or waits for an appropriate moment to pass in private  ;)

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
Don't know Loftyscot, but I will let you know if I hear anything!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 12:26:04 AM »
The wife let rip during our last visit. This was at the Ozzy Oil Bbq night. Sellsy was there but I don't think he heard.  I think Kerry heard but she kept belting out '24 hours from Tulsa' like the true pro she is!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2013, 02:06:31 AM »
How shocking! There could have been children around.

Among other things, farting produces methane. I think farting al fresco should be banned. I've had several evenings ruined by people at surrounding tables breaking wind.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »
There comes a time when a thread runs its course and exhausts all subject matter! Given the amount of hot air in recent posts its time to turn the other cheek and vacate. It's been a blast! ;D

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 02:29:46 AM »
Being a none smoker all my life I don't like people smoking near me but whilst on holiday for my 2 weeks I accept that some people will smoke at there table. By the time most start smoking it is usually time for us to be moving on anyway. Having said that we have never seen that many smoking near us either. For the sake of my 2 weeks holiday in the place we love we accept that there is a bit of give and take.
I think this is the way most visitors to the village feel - nicely put Jules...
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »
I am a smoker, but always considerate of those around me.  We don't eat until about 10pm and mainly at Nafsika.  When we arrive, it is normally fairly quiet, but I would actively look for a table away from obvious non smokers.  I would certainly never smoke whilst people are eating, as I would not like that myself and I would never smoke anywhere near children, in restaurants or bars.  I do however like a cigarette when I am having a drink in an outside bar.  The thing that annoys me is when a non smoker decides to sit next to me, when I am smoking and starts wafting the smoke away, rather than choose a seat away from me!! In that situation, I have no problem lighting up if they choose to be in my line of smoke!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »
Nafiska has a no-smoking area. If they choose to sit next to you, that's frankly stupid.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »
Do you wear a T-Shirt with a warning label on it then Karen?? LOL

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »
Don't have a problem at all with these balanced views and approaches. More than happy to be considerate of smokers rights and enjoyment on holiday. If all smokers were as thoughtful and considerate as Karen there would never be a problem. Equally I would not condone non smokers looking for conflict in any situation.Interesting thread though?

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 10:08:20 PM »
Sellsy - this thread has all been done before - -in earlier times - still no change - we hardly ever find a problem in San Stefanos
and usually find that common sense rules these days..... after all - we are all on holiday.... !!

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »
Not sure I follow your point Tonyco, if a thread has been covered before, don't raise it as a current point of conversation? Its one of the busiest threads at the moment, and it remains reasonably light hearted with good grace and humour. Many hits also. I was looking for opinions and thoughts ,ideas etc, and the topic delivered this. Is this not the place to discuss opinions, even if similar topics have occurred in the past?

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »
Certainly seems to have been a popular thread, with some sparky comments. We have had some interesting views and opinions expressed?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni