Author Topic: amazing rainbow over Ag Stef  (Read 11923 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: amazing rainbow over Ag Stef
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
Ask him for the story. It's a phonetic issue, and perfectly logical.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/spiros.kapovitsos

this was with the rainbow video!  Am definitely con fused - and yes, Jimbo will ask him if I get the chance

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 02:03:12 AM »
I'm sure Spiros/Spyros/Speros won't mind if I explain...

The Greek name Σπύρος is a short form of Spyridon - as in the patron saint of the island. The third Greek letter is upsilon, which is maybe halfway between the u in "put" (southern English pronunciation) and "ee" like in the vowel in "peach." English does not have an exact equivalent of upsilon, so the normal transcription to English characters is either i or y - Spiros or Spyros.

Spiros (and cousin Dmitris - Little Prince) were educated in America. Americans are utterly incapable of pronouncing any foreign language correctly. They will almost always pronounce a "foreign" i as "eye" - for example the ancient city of Delphi, which should be pronounced THE-ell-phee they will say as Delph-EYE.

Spiros told me he was fed up with having his name pronounced SPIE-ross, so he at first altered it to Speeros for popular consumption, and then thought that was inelegant, so contracted it to Speros. Like so many things in life, these accidents of history remain, and depending on the weather, the phase of the moon and so on he will either write it as Spiros or Speros. Ultimately, it is Σπύρος.

Asking Σπύρος about his name is a good excuse to go and have some fabulous food at Nafsika. I'm already looking forward to it!

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 04:00:01 AM »
Thank you SO much Jimbo for a very clear explanation.  I don't need an excuse to go and try the food at the Nafsika - I love it there -we have stayed there often - our very first trip to Ag Stef found us staying at the Nafsika for a wonderful two weeks - oft repeated. 

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 04:02:41 AM »
I think of the team at the Nafsika at our first visit as the 'dream team' - there was Speros, Vangelis (luvely jubbly breakfast and lunches man), Costas (the sweet man now visited at Gravia), George (the one eye on the talent that is passing man) and quiet and shy Chris.  Was an amazing mix.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 04:52:08 AM »
I have always known him as Spiros - since we first met in 1983, and he has always been helpful and a mine of information...
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni