Author Topic: Corfu in October  (Read 36149 times)

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Corfu in October
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2012, 11:48:37 PM »
Will do joan
just talked to the Manthos
he has a suprise for us i know
this time we wont have to pour our drinks and tidy the tables
is he still not smoking ?
chris

Offline Ioanna

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2012, 11:55:08 PM »
Of course he is still smoking but if he thinks that Christina is around he soon jumps to attention !! We all know that he is not supposed to smoke but it is guaranteed that if you put your cigarettes on the table they will very quickly vanish !
The 'old devil' will never change , he has mellowed over the years but thank goodness he is still a character .
Try his octopus in honey - it is yummy x

Offline CHRIS NO 2

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2012, 12:45:06 AM »
ok will do
i think a lot of people miss out on the 'OLD DEVIL' by not walking up to the old part
but hes like marmite the outher way around he likes you or not

Chris

Offline Ioanna

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2012, 01:12:18 AM »
Hi Chris , I agree with you about people missing out who do not venture down the old part of Aghios Stefanos . It seems to be people who have been coming for many years ( before the Strip was built ) do prefer that end , maybe it is happy memories !
I expect that it will only be Manthos and his 'side kick ' Costa running the taverna now - please give them both my love . Have fun what ever the weather throws at you
   Love Ioanna x

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »
Saturday morning was pleasantly sunny. The main entertainment was the laborious undertaking of getting the para-sailing platforms out of the sea.

First they detached the two halves and dragged one through the sea down towards the car park. Meanwhile, in the car park the digger was pushing sand back up towards Perdita's to flatten that end of the car park to make room. At this point a middle-aged woman wearing black appeared rather perilously at the top of the ten-feet high potential avalanche of sand and started shouting at the driver. He stopped digging and they then embarked on a thirty-minute argument with a lot of arm waving.

Meanwhile, the first half of the platform had now been successfully dragged through the sea, and was poised like a landing-craft just off the car park, with two men trying hard to control it in the surf near the edge. The argument still raged, and, watched by one small child, two dogs, and Gillie and me, the chorus of shouting was joined by a couple of tenors in the waves.

Eventually the woman gave up, the digger proceeded down the beach, and they made an attempt to harness the shovel to the raft and heave the front up.

The rafts are an interesting, ingenious construction clearly never designed to take this kind of strain, and for agonising (or hilarious, depending on your point of view) seconds it looked as though it would break in half. However, as the moment grew ever closer, sanity prevailed and a lengthy period of argument and re-examination of the engineering possibilities took place. Finally, a balanced lift to the front was achieved, and the digger began slowly to drag the cumbersome platform out of the sea and across the car park.

The car park contained only two vehicles: the digger and a purple quad-bike, which was strategically parked right in the path of the digger-platform behemoth that was backing at increasing velocity towards it. "Oh joy!" we thought, "They're just going to mash it!" But at the very last moment, one of the men ran past the digger and pushed the quad-bike out of the way, and the platform was deposited in its winter home. But all was not over: the digger lifted one side and then the other, and big polystyrene blocks were tumbled from some storage point atop the dunes, and placed under the platform, lifting it out of danger of winter tides.

We then retired to Mistral for an omelette and glass of vino to watch the progress of the second platform chunk from a comfortable distance.

Children and dogs wandered off, the digger departed, and we could safely say that there can be no more para-sailing until 2013.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:11:50 AM by Jimbo »

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2012, 11:53:13 PM »
Jimbo - you are just so funny - was laughing out loud whilst reading your description of the removal of the para sailing platforms.  I have but one question, is the purple quad still there?

Really hope the TV programme doesn't attract too many weddings - our son booked his last year for August 1st 2013 and it is hard enough for the guests to find suitable accommodation - I personally have given up and left them to it - in search of no hill, good pool,etc etc!!!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 01:22:09 AM »
In previous years they used to store the Platforms between the Athina and Mango.
However, the destruction of their old Kantina in the winter storms a couple of years back, must have sent a strong message for re-location in the winter.
Lets hope the winter is kind this year and there is no tsunami in Corfu!!
Other wise the platforms may end up in Nondas Pool!!
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Bee

• SanStef Hero
  • My name is Bee and I am a San Stefanos addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2012, 11:59:44 PM »
For many years I holidayed in SS, having two weeks May/June and a week in October.  I always avoided the half term week for obvious reasons, but even though the weather wasn't always the best it was still warm and just such a lovely break to get ready for the winter ahead.

I just love San Stefanos whatever the weather, it's all down to the wonderful people I meet  :D

I hope to be there next June!  8)

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
I have been there many times in June and apart from an odd rainy or part rainy day, the weather is always brilliant.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni